Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Sir_Loin

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

What if he compared him to Willie Mays?

I think it's a sign that there is nothing left to be said in this thread and no point to be made that hasn't been made a dozen times, that it has come down to making up quotes and saying how would you react to that made up quote if it was real.

It's been a long time since I've seen a deceased equine take such a thorough pounding around here.

At least it shows we still care 

The point was to illustrate that it’s silly to be concerned with the Arkansas coach comparing Kjerstad favorably to Benintendi 

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kjerstad's coach head coach says he is right  there with Andrew Benintendi.

A #2 pick should be a cornerstone player for a building franchise.  I don't think of Benintendi or Burnitz as cornerstone franchise players.   

I'm sure you're aware that in three-plus MLB seasons Benintendi is already at or above the median value of a #2 overall pick.  He will almost certainly be worth more than 80% of #2 picks when all is said and done.

People want every high pick to be a cornerstone, but reality is more like 10%.  The draft has been going on since 1965, and you know how many HOFers have been taken #2?  One, Reggie Jackson, in 1966.  The third-best #2 ever is Will Clark, 4th is JD Drew.  Greg Swindell and Lloyd Moseby are in the top 10%.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

No his isn't.

Hasn't been for the Red Sox (mostly a LF), but that is his natural position. Apologies for any confusion on that front.

https://www.mlb.com/news/andrew-benintendi-will-man-center-for-red-sox-c223691024

The Red Sox are fortunate to be able to slide rookie Andrew Benintendi from left field to center -- his natural position -- to replace Bradley. Chris Young, who has plenty of experience as an everyday player, will take over in left while Bradley is out.

He's also played at least 10 games in center in each of his three full seasons, including 30 (27 started; 241 innings) in 2017. He also played CF exclusively (edit: ALMOST exclusively - h/t @Can of Corn) all through the minors.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Hasn't been for the Red Sox, but that is his natural position. Apologies for any confusion on that front.

https://www.mlb.com/news/andrew-benintendi-will-man-center-for-red-sox-c223691024

He's also played at least 10 games in center in each of his three full seasons, including 30 (27 started; 241 innings) in 2017. He also played CF exclusively all through the minors.

So you are just going to ignore the four games he played in left field?  Act like they didn't happen? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

You caught me. My plot to misrepresent Andrew Benintendi's CF bona fides is quickly unraveling. 

Maybe we'll find out what the Red Sox really think if JBJ walks, which kind of figures.  I mean if you can't pay Mookie...

I suspect on something like 25-50% of JBJ-less he would have the opportunity to try for full Damon.

3 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm really starting to think you're approaching this discussion in bad faith.

Definitely fair/reasonable to pick a 20 rWAR guy as the HK comp in response to someone throwing out a 75 rWAR guy as a general AM comp.

LOL ....Whatever boss!

I think Kjerstad ends up hitting for a -240 Avg, 25-35 homers per season, a low OBP (under .300), And strikes out a ton He probably ends up hitting 275ish Home runs for the Orioles.

By the way .... Burnitz is ranked in the top 50 LH power hitters list All time and OPS .825, so he’s hardly a terrible player.

There is still a chance he busts altogether. 70% or so of the 1st rounders will never be an all star. That’s a fact! 

By the way, none of this speculation matters a hill of beans. It will be whatever it is and I certainly am not hoping for him to fail. Although I’m sure I’ll be accused of it by one of the Koolaid sippers here.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

LOL ....Whatever boss!

I think Kjerstad ends up hitting for a -240 Avg, 25-35 homers per season, a low OBP (under .300), And strikes out a ton He probably ends up hitting 275ish Home runs for the Orioles.

By the way .... Burnitz is ranked in the top 50 LH power hitters list All time and OPS .825, so he’s hardly a terrible player.

There is still a chance he busts altogether. 70% or so of the 1st rounders will never be an all star. That’s a fact! 

By the way, none of this speculation matters a hill of beans. It will be whatever it is and I certainly am not hoping for him to fail. Although I’m sure I’ll be accused of it by one of the Koolaid sippers here.

So, you think he plays 8-10 years with the Os with a slash line of something like 240/290/450?

That doesn’t make any sense to me.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

First of all, Jeremy Burnitz is not a terrible comp for Kjerstad.    He was a 19.9 rWAR player, which makes him better (by that measure) than all but 14 no. 2 picks.    So, a Burnitz-type career wouldn’t be a bad outcome for Kjerstad.     But I wouldn’t say it would make me happy, if Martin turned out to be a slightly worse Lou Whitaker (75.1 rWAR).    Of course, it would depend somewhat on what Mayo and Baumler turn out to be, but they probably couldn’t make up that big of a difference.   

(By the way, Whitaker’s 75.1 rWAR is higher than any no. 2 pick ever, so certainly not a likely outcome.)

Thanks ...I wasnt trying to be funny or “not approaching the conversation in good faith”. I was totally serious....I expect .240 AVG, <-300 OBP, 25-35 homers per season, and 175-200 Ks. If he ends up better than that I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

If Martin ends up being Lou Whitaker and Kjerstad ends up being Burnitz it will being pretty convincing that we took the wrong player. Unless as you said they can get 50 WAR out of the other 2 guys.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, you think he plays 8-10 years with the Os with a slash line of something like 240/290/450?

That doesn’t make any sense to me.

No, probably his rookie control and maybe an extra season or two then floats around for a while.

I said for the Orioles but should’ve said for the majors.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks ...I wasnt trying to be funny or “not approaching the conversation in good faith”. I was totally serious....I expect .240 AVG, <-300 OBP, 25-35 homers per season, and 175-200 Ks. If he ends up better than that I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

If Martin ends up being Lou Whitaker and Kjerstad ends up being Burnitz it will being pretty convincing that we took the wrong player. Unless as you said they can get 50 WAR out of the other 2 guys.

What if Martin is Christian Colon and Kjerstad is Babe Ruth?  Will they have made the better choice?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No, probably his rookie control and maybe an extra season or two then floats around for a while.

I said for the Orioles but should’ve said for the majors.

How many low BA and really low OBP stay around long enough to hit almost 300 homers?  

Dave Kingman comes to mind but I don’t know that Kingman (or someone like him) has a long career in today’s game.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How many low BA and really low OBP stay around long enough to hit almost 300 homers?  

Dave Kingman comes to mind .....I’m sure there are others.

FWIW....Adam Jones has hit 282 and his career OBP is .317. I think Kjerstad could get  to 282 faster.