Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Sir_Loin

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's the first play on the highlight video.

And it isn't the worst thing in the world.  But in my eyes it was a Chad move.

Yep, he didn’t need to knock the guy down. Face it, the board is very Homer right now. You can’t say anything even objectively about Kjerstad or Elias without someone being offended.

If the player that’s knocked down blows out a knee or shoulder due to unnecessary contact it’s a bigger problem. If that was done by another player Kjerstad these guys would feel different. 

19 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Posted this in the draft forum but someone made a career college highlight video for Kjerstad a few weeks ago that I haven't seen posted yet.

This is fantastic, thanks! I enjoy the kid's swagger. I think this could be a very good pick. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And didn't do things like bat flip.

For the record I love bat flips.

Just for that, I would send you the golden book of the unwritten rules of baseball, but I can't find them written anywhere. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Hey CoC!  I was born and raised in Arkansas.  As a lifelong Razorback fan, I have watched many Razorback games in person and via SEC Network.  I think I've seen Kjerstad play ball probably a few more times than you have. 

For the record, I think Manny did stuff like that from time to time. 

Also, what was is your point? I watch a lot of Alabama football games than most on here. 

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This should be interesting.  I'm sure that means "hustle everywhere, say "yes sir, no sir" and show up early for practice, stay late, run out ground balls as hard as you can, always be paying attention" and whatever other cliche's we can come up with.

The "Oriole way" relates back to Cal Ripken Sr.  Back way before his sons were major leaguers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just to be clear, I have zero problem with how you characterized what I said, or your general argument.    My only issue is with your degree of certitude that Martin will turn out to be the much superior player, and some of the adjectives you’ve used to describe the Orioles’ decision to go the other direction.   

In my gut, I don’t think the Orioles went BPA with the pick. They went with the best player that would cut a deal that allowed the later picks. 

I can’t be sure if Martin will be the better player. I think he has a cleaner swing, makes more contact, and has a better BB/K rates. 

Will that translate? The Blue Jays think it will. They used the terms like elated that he was available at 5 and shocked.

Will Kjerstad end up a bust, a Burnitz/Bruce type, or perhaps Palmeiro? We will also have to wait and see.

As I mentioned in other posts. I’m far from sold on Elias as a GM. I think he’s good at Data, analytics, and even convincing the Angelos boys that they needed to be in play internationally to be competitive.

I don’t think he’s a shrewd negotiator, haven’t been impressed with the drafting, or the trade returns of his deals! In addition, I’m firmly on record as hating the whole Villar situation.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really.  I don't think it's a big deal.  But I do think if someone is going to proclaim a player they have probably barely seen "plays the game the right way" that it should be addressed.

I for one don't feel qualified to say how Kjerstad "plays the game", if we even know what "playing the game the right way" even means. 

Remember Kent Hrbeck - very big 1st baseman for the Twins.  In the WS, medium sized Ron Gant was on first the Braves, and big Hrby knocked him off the base with ball in enormous glove.  Ump called Gant out.  I've never come to terms with the question - Did Hrby play the right way there? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is fantastic, thanks! I enjoy the kid's swagger. I think this could be a very good pick. 

Swagger isn’t knocking down the first baseman on that play. I’m not insinuating that you are saying that. Just wondering 

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

I do too. What I've seen of his character seems quite high. but maybe he hides his dark side well. 

31 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Hey CoC!  I was born and raised in Arkansas.  As a lifelong Razorback fan, I have watched many Razorback games in person and via SEC Network.  I think I've seen Kjerstad play ball probably a few more times than you have. 

Isn't Arkansas and Alabama pretty much the same thing, just separated by their bastard child, Mississippi?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

In my gut, I don’t think the Orioles went BPA with the pick. They went with the best player that would cut a deal that allowed the later picks. 

I can be sure if Martin will be the better player. I think he has a cleaner swing, makes more contact, and has a better BB/K rates. 

Will that translate? The Blue Jays think it will. They used the terms like elated that he was available at 5 and shocked.

Will Kjerstad end up a bust, a Burnitz/Bruce type, or perhaps Palmeiro? We will also have to wait and see.

As I mentioned in other posts. I’m far from sold on Elias as a GM. I think he’s good at Data, analytics, and even convincing the Angelos boys that they needed to be in play internationally to be competitive.

I don’t think he’s a shrewd negotiator, haven’t been impressed with the drafting, or the trade returns of his deals! In addition, I’m firmly on record as hating the whole Villar situation.

Palmeiro had a swing of beauty. They swing differently now. I think Kierstad is a modern baseball batter. 

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Swagger isn’t knocking down the first baseman on that play. I’m not insinuating that you are saying that. Just wondering 

Lol you're such a hater. Guy was in his way and blocking the bag, who cares?

But I was more talking about watching the majestic dingers. 

• Haha 1