O’Day: Trumbo could have been a pitcher

Frobby

14 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

It might be a pipe dream for O's fans to want those kind of pitchers in my estimation. I could very well be blowing smoke at you but I don't know if you'll ever see guys that can strike out close to 250 in an O's uniform. I think there is a reason why Erik Bedard is the all time O's leader with 221. Not necessarily saying it can't happen but it would take getting a guy like the guys you listed but with more stamina. With the exception of Ryan(who only had one of his six 300 k seasons while playing his home games in the state of Texas) and Walter Johnson most of those guys pitched a good portion of their careers in climates that were cooler/dryer than in Baltimore. Which is one of the most hot/humid places professional baseball is played in North America. I think we don't get said power pitchers because the guys that have that potential flame out in late July in an O's uniform.

I'd love to be wrong about my assumption though. But I just don't think we'll ever see a great power pitcher don an O's uniform. No matter how good our scouting dept or ownership group is.

That's an interesting thought, but don't know if I've ever seen any evidence that points in that direction.  I really don't know if it has any credence.

The hardest part about getting 250 Ks today is pitching 200+ innings.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess if the overall K rate keep climbing sooner or later it will have to happen.

As long as it climbs faster than the innings expected from a starter falls.  To get to 250 strikeouts in 170 innings a pitcher has to be around peak Randy Johnson strikeout rates.  I think even MLB will make some changes if the average starter is getting 12 or 13 K/9.

15 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

It might be a pipe dream for O's fans to want those kind of pitchers in my estimation. I could very well be blowing smoke at you but I don't know if you'll ever see guys that can strike out close to 250 in an O's uniform. I think there is a reason why Erik Bedard is the all time O's leader with 221. Not necessarily saying it can't happen but it would take getting a guy like the guys you listed but with more stamina. With the exception of Ryan(who only had one of his six 300 k seasons while playing his home games in the state of Texas) and Walter Johnson most of those guys pitched a good portion of their careers in climates that were cooler/dryer than in Baltimore. Which is one of the most hot/humid places professional baseball is played in North America. I think we don't get said power pitchers because the guys that have that potential flame out in late July in an O's uniform.

I'd love to be wrong about my assumption though. But I just don't think we'll ever see a great power pitcher don an O's uniform. No matter how good our scouting dept or ownership group is.

Offhand I’m not inclined to buy this logic without seeing some detailed evidence.   I don’t see why power pitchers would flame out in a hot humid climate more than other types of pitchers.    Ryan, Gibson, Richard, Scherzer, Strasburg, Smoltz, and Darvish all topped 250 strikeouts in locales that were at least as hot and humid as Baltimore.     You’ve been listening to Rick Dempsey make excuses for our pitchers for too long.    

I'll admit I am making a sideways argument. But there is really only one way that I can make it and say what I have been saying. Because in almost 70 yrs of Oriole baseball it's never happened and not even really close.

Right now it is just as likely for me to finish my training for the Space Force and take bigfoot with me to the moon. As it is for the Orioles to get a pitcher that can strike out 250 hitters.

I would so love to be proven wrong.

2 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I'll admit I am making a sideways argument. But there is really only one way that I can make it and say what I have been saying. Because in almost 70 yrs of Oriole baseball it's never happened and not even really close.

Right now it is just as likely for me to finish my training for the Space Force and take bigfoot with me to the moon. As it is for the Orioles to get a pitcher that can strike out 250 hitters.

I would so love to be proven wrong.

No way they send bigfoot to the moon, he weighs way too much.

• Haha 1