The defense thread, 2020

Frobby

CoC is pretty wily, I have to give him credit.

Here's the deal, the Orioles will never straight up say that it was service time manipulation.  No team would because the MLBPA would be all over their ass in the blink of an eye.

So since they can't say it was service time manipulation and they also can't really DENY it was service time manipulation, CoC can't be wrong.  Which doesn't necessarily make him right, btw, but at least he can't be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

CoC is pretty wily, I have to give him credit.

Here's the deal, the Orioles will never straight up say that it was service time manipulation.  No team would because the MLBPA would be all over their ass in the blink of an eye.

So since they can't say it was service time manipulation and they also can't really DENY it was service time manipulation, CoC can't be wrong.  Which doesn't necessarily make him right, btw, but at least he can't be wrong.

I don’t care if it was service time. What is the point now?

Saving his big league debut for the fans next year?

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t care if it was service time. What is the point now?

Saving his big league debut for the fans next year?

If you wait till next year you get a whole year of control.  Why burn a year of service time on this season?

I haven't convinced myself of this yet, but I'm getting closer.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If you wait till next year you get a whole year of control.  Why burn a year of service time on this season?

I haven't convinced myself of this yet, but I'm getting closer.

At this point it’s very possible. I just don’t get it. 

I mean he played a full year at AAA last year. They can’t go with the, “he hasn’t made in his way thru all the stops” argument.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

At this point it’s very possible. I just don’t get it. 

I mean he played a full year at AAA last year. They can’t go with the, “he hasn’t made in his way thru all the stops” argument.  

If they are doing it, and Mountcastle does go on to have a decent career, this is going to cost him a lot of money.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they are doing it, and Mountcastle does go on to have a decent career, this is going to cost him a lot of money.

Yes it will and the longer he doesn’t come up the better the chance he doesn’t at all. 

They going to call him up for 2 weeks prorated? Have to keep him down until about mid May at least  next year to get that back. 

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

True, but I think that if Boog could play left field, then Mountcastle is likely to be acceptable there.

What was acceptable in '63 might not be today.  You could throw 82 mph fastballs and get away with it back then.  The '61 Orioles had 100+ starts from 22-23 year old kids, including 40 complete games.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:55 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Service time manipulation.

Let's be honest, if [Mountcastle] hasn't learned how to play left yet, it isn't going to happen.

On 8/19/2020 at 3:03 PM, Frobby said:

I would have believed service time manipulation if they had called him up shortly after he no longer qualified for a full year of service, but we’re well past that and probably past the Super-2 date too.    Do you think they’re going to keep him down all season and then manipulate his service time at the start of next year, too?

That is possible, but I don’t see it as more likely than that they still want him working on certain parts of his game.   

On 8/19/2020 at 3:05 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'm quickly moving in that direction.

I don't see what he could be working on at Bowie that he can't work on in Baltimore.

Well, so much for keeping him down all year.