Cedric Mullins and the buntin’ Birds

Frobby

Cedric Mullins has seven bunt hits this year, more bunt hits than any other team in the league.   As a team, the O’s have 12 bunt hits, twice as many as the second place Phillies.  

The O’s also lead the majors in successful sacrifice bunts, with 11 in 12 attempts.   

I have to admit, I’m really enjoying watching well-executed small ball.    For years it seemed like the O’s were utterly inept at laying down a bunt.   I realize there’s a lot of downside to giving up an out with a sac bunt, but if you’re going to do it, at least do it well.

By the way, the O’s are batting .444 when bunting for a hit, led by Mullins with a cool .777 in his 9 attempts to bunt for a hit.

Here’s a nice article on the buntin’ Birds.   https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-bunting-more-than-every-mlb-team

• Upvote 4

It is funny how you can grow to appreciate the little things about the game when those little things are essentially non existent in the sport..bunting, stealing a base, a starter going 6 innings, etc...

That being said, it’s a nice skill to have but when this is essentially all you can hang your hat on, that’s not good.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's what I came in here to ask/figure out.  His bunts are great but the rest of his batting leaves much to be desired.  

I didn't realize this either.  I just kept seeing that Cedric was turning the corner and saw his BA rise.  Never really noticed the amount of bunt base hits and lack of a BA when not bunting.  So, I guess he still is who we thought he was?

Mets announcers pointed out his hit after the second bunt attempt was a ground ball through the hole between first and second, right in the spot that a shifted defender would normally be. In addition to being a high average play in itself with his speed and bunting ability, the threat of a bunt also takes away the shift.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

I didn't realize this either.  I just kept seeing that Cedric was turning the corner and saw his BA rise.  Never really noticed the amount of bunt base hits and lack of a BA when not bunting.  So, I guess he still is who we thought he was?

Yep, I believe so.

But good for him for being able to figure out a way to make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It is funny how you can grow to appreciate the little things about the game when those little things are essentially non existent in the sport..bunting, stealing a base, a starter going 6 innings, etc...

That being said, it’s a nice skill to have but when this is essentially all you can hang your hat on, that’s not good.

Yeah I was thinking this myself the other day.  In the past I haven't been a fan of the bunt because of sabermetrics. Bill James once said "the bunt was usually a waste of time" plus Earl Weaver never thought much of it either.  But I have to admit when you don't see it that often it's kind of exciting to see it being employed more often.  

Here's an interesting article from 2018 that suggests the bunt could be making a comeback because its an effective strategy against the shift.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2018/07/10/analytics-killed-the-bunt-now-a-new-data-driven-strategy-could-bring-it-back-to-life/

23 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Yeah I was thinking this myself the other day.  In the past I haven't been a fan of the bunt because of sabermetrics. Bill James once said "the bunt was usually a waste of time" plus Earl Weaver never thought much of it either.  But I have to admit when you don't see it that often it's kind of exciting to see it being employed more often.  

Here's an interesting article from 2018 that suggests the bunt could be making a comeback because its an effective strategy against the shift.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2018/07/10/analytics-killed-the-bunt-now-a-new-data-driven-strategy-could-bring-it-back-to-life/

Most of the critiques of bunting are referring to sacrificing when you give up an automatic out. If it is a high percentage way of getting on base I think that changes things. For most guys it's not but Mullins appears to have the skill set to do it effectively.