Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

On 6/13/2019 at 12:39 AM, Sessh said:

Machado is slugging .397 on the year, .343 over the last month, 228 over the last two weeks and .286 over the last week. Only two home runs in the last 30 days and hitting .140 over the last two weeks. I sure am glad we dodged that bullet. So far, seems like a guy that got his money and is going to take it easy for awhile now. It's only year one, but damn is that pathetic. He's doing a great imitation of Chris Davis these last couple weeks with his .462 OPS and all. At least Harper has been solid so far for the Phillies.

So now that Manny has a 123 OPS+, has a UZR/150 at third of +10 and is on pace for about five wins I guess that he's a bargain.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

Britt got the Manny interview. If you have a subscription to the Athletic, it’s worth your time. Manny reflects on the emotions of returning to Baltimore and the lack of love he felt from management because they didn’t talk to him about an extension after they said they’d call. Manny also says that it was a common theme with the organization because Nick and Adam also wanted to stay. He also indicates that he thought they could’ve let him know he was going to be moving across the country to LA rather than letting him be in limbo. For example, Manny said the following:

“There was a lot of situations (in the past) where we reached out, and we wanted to stay there, and they kept saying, ‘Hey, yeah, we’re going to call you back. And we’re going to talk.’ And we’re still waiting for that call. That just sums up the whole summary of why I said that (to SI). It had nothing to do with the fans. I loved the fans. It was unbelievable playing in front of those guys every single night and day. They were always there cheering us on. Whether we were sucking or balling out, it didn’t matter; they supported us through everything.”

https://theathletic.com/1042595/2019/06/23/baltimore-will-always-have-a-piece-of-my-heart-on-eve-of-his-return-to-charm-city-manny-machado-reflects/

Got you covered

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So now that Manny has a 123 OPS+, has a UZR/150 at third of +10 and is on pace for about five wins I guess that he's a bargain.

Nah, 10-year deals are never bargains for the teams that give them out. If you don't give him 10 years, you probably won't get 1 year which is the only reason anyone gives out 10 year deals anyway. Guaranteeing 10 years just to get the first five or so and hope the last five aren't that bad and there are no chronic or serious injuries. He sure has been impressively red hot lately, though. I'll give him that.

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

Britt got the Manny interview. If you have a subscription to the Athletic, it’s worth your time. Manny reflects on the emotions of returning to Baltimore and the lack of love he felt from management because they didn’t talk to him about an extension after they said they’d call. Manny also says that it was a common theme with the organization because Nick and Adam also wanted to stay. He also indicates that he thought they could’ve let him know he was going to be moving across the country to LA rather than letting him be in limbo. For example, Manny said the following:

“There was a lot of situations (in the past) where we reached out, and we wanted to stay there, and they kept saying, ‘Hey, yeah, we’re going to call you back. And we’re going to talk.’ And we’re still waiting for that call. That just sums up the whole summary of why I said that (to SI). It had nothing to do with the fans. I loved the fans. It was unbelievable playing in front of those guys every single night and day. They were always there cheering us on. Whether we were sucking or balling out, it didn’t matter; they supported us through everything.”

https://theathletic.com/1042595/2019/06/23/baltimore-will-always-have-a-piece-of-my-heart-on-eve-of-his-return-to-charm-city-manny-machado-reflects/

I guess Manny still doesn't understand the business reality that the O's were never going to be able to afford 10/300.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I guess Manny still doesn't understand the business reality that the O's were never going to be able to afford 10/300.

Do we know that Manny would have demanded 10/300 if the O's had tried to extend him two years before he hit free agency?

If the O's had offered Manny the Davis deal in January 2016 would it have been a good starting point?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do we know that Manny would have demanded 10/300 if the O's had tried to extend him two years before he hit free agency?

If the O's had offered Manny the Davis deal in January 2016 would it have been a good starting point?

Maybe a starting point but not the ending point.  Rumors were that he and Harper where going to get 400m.   Very hard for him to sign for less when two years back the Yankees where thought to want him.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe a starting point but not the ending point.  Rumors were that he and Harper where going to get 400m.   Very hard for him to sign for less when two years back the Yankees where thought to want him.

It wouldn't have cost the O's 10/300 if they had acted early and if you were going to extend someone Manny was a much better choice than Davis.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It wouldn't have cost the O's 10/300 if they had acted early and if you were going to extend someone Manny was a much better choice than Davis.

Yes, better choice than Davis but we don't know how much it would have cost.  Manny was never going to come cheap.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yes, better choice than Davis but we don't know how much it would have cost.  Manny was never going to come cheap.

Neither did Davis or Trumbo.

You add together the Davis and Trumbo deals you think Manny bites?

7/161 + 3/37, so lets say 8/198.  You think 25M a year while buying out a couple years of arbitration gets it done?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Neither did Davis or Trumbo.

You add together the Davis and Trumbo deals you think Manny bites?

7/161 + 3/37, so lets say 8/198.  You think 25M a year while buying out a couple years of arbitration gets it done?

Nope.  Manny's agent was looking for 400m.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Everyone can afford a 10/300 deal.  Maybe most of them shouldn't but even the Rays have a payroll over $60M.  A few years ago the O's were over $150M and $30M a season would be only a Jay Payton over Chris Davis.

I will say the article explained things much better. I can see why Manny was a little bothered. 

I also don’t know the protocol for those types of situations. Maybe the Orioles didn’t feel right telling him where he was going if somehow it fell apart. The other part sounds like to me they never called him back earlier in his career because, and this is just a guess, they knew what he was asking and weren’t willing to touch it.  

Clearly they blew their chance early on.