BA Cover Boy: AR #1 in a pitching rich system

LookinUp

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Funny that they describe it as a pitching rich system.  I'd say it's more like "Two arms and everyone else."

Might go try to find this issue somewhere, would be curious to see why they picked him #1 and not Wander Franco or someone else.

It says at the top that they are looking at the top 10 prospects for the 10 East teams.

I would guess they are saying Adley is #1 in our organization.  I highly doubt he’s ahead of Franco.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It says at the top that they are looking at the top 10 prospects for the 10 East teams.

I would guess they are saying Adley is #1 in our organization.  I highly doubt he’s ahead of Franco.

Yeah, I think your interpretation is most likely correct.  I didn't read it that way initially.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Funny that they describe it as a pitching rich system.  I'd say it's more like "Two arms and everyone else."

Might go try to find this issue somewhere, would be curious to see why they picked him #1 and not Wander Franco or someone else.

I do not read this headline as saying Rutschman is the no. 1 prospect in MLB.   It’s saying he’s no. 1 on the Orioles.   

As to our system being “pitching rich,” of the Orioles’ top 10, 5 are pitchers; of our top 20, 10 are pitchers.   So it’s a 50/50 system and if you look around baseball, that’s the norm.   I’d say our system has slightly above average hitting and pitching right now, and it’s a slightly above average system.   I’d say we might have a little more depth once you get beyond the top 10 pitchers in the system than most teams, but we’re not overflowing with top-end pitching talent.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I do not read this headline as saying Rutschman is the no. 1 prospect in MLB.   It’s saying he’s no. 1 on the Orioles.   

As to our system being “pitching rich,” of the Orioles’ top 10, 5 are pitchers; of our top 20, 10 are pitchers.   So it’s a 50/50 system and if you look around baseball, that’s the norm.   I’d say our system has slightly above average hitting and pitching right now, and it’s a slightly above average system.   I’d say we might have a little more depth once you get beyond the top 10 pitchers in the system than most teams, but we’re not overflowing with top-end pitching talent.   

I'm also blaming @LookinUp as I read his interpretation, too, before looking at the cover.