Analysis of 2020 Rule 5 Eligible players

Tony-OH

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think there is a clear upgrade to Ruiz at 3B.   I am of the belief that after 500-700 AB's that he has that there is still a little hope that he makes advances offensively.    I agree he is average at 3B but that's not a bad thing.    He had a nice second half in 2019 and had the hot start, albeit very SSS, last year and then got hurt right away.   I hate to give up on him prematurely when there really is no clear upgrade out there.

As of right now, I think he's a favorite to start at 3B once again, but not because I think he's a long term answer, but for now, there is no one better to take his spot currently on the 40-man.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As of right now, I think he's a favorite to start at 3B once again, but not because I think he's a long term answer, but for now, there is no one better to take his spot currently on the 40-man.

Possible platoon with Alberto if he is retained???

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

We. Have so many fringe major leaguers that we can remove them from the roster to protect the 9 that need to be protected. For example, the guy we just picked up on waivers that has the good glove. The glove is great but he can’t hit. So it really doesn’t matter if we lose him on a. Waiver claim.

I agree, I can name at least 10 guys that could be released and replaced easily. I'd like to see the O's part ways with Pedro Severino especially. I'd like to see Sisco start 100 games and see what he can do with regular ABs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think there is a clear upgrade to Ruiz at 3B.   I am of the belief that after 500-700 AB's that he has that there is still a little hope that he makes advances offensively.    I agree he is average at 3B but that's not a bad thing.    He had a nice second half in 2019 and had the hot start, albeit very SSS, last year and then got hurt right away.   I hate to give up on him prematurely when there really is no clear upgrade out there.

Alberto playing 3B vs lefties would be an upgrade.    Also Sanchez has had offensive years where his numbers would be a upgrade at 3B.  He is just not consistent with his offensive.  2021 is his walk year before FA.   He may be motivated to have a good year especially after being DFA and seeing his salary drop.

15 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I agree, I can name at least 10 guys that could be released and replaced easily. I'd like to see the O's part ways with Pedro Severino especially. I'd like to see Sisco start 100 games and see what he can do with regular ABs. 

I’d think that Severino has some trade value 

On 11/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, wildcard said:

Wells, 24, is coming off a stellar year at AA.  Too tempting for some team even if he does not throw hard.   I don't want some team to take him, mess with him and possible return him after messing with him.

When is the last we could say THAT with a straight face?

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d think that Severino has some trade value 

You may be right. His defense is so bad that I don't expect much if anything for him, Not sure about offensive value because he is so inconsistent. But, you re correct that they should shop him before simply releasing him. 

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure I would call him an above average defender. He's average at best but I don't think he brings additional value defensively. statcast had him -5 OOA last year and 0 this year. BR had him -0.3 in 2019 and 0.3 this year. At the end of the day, he doesn't hurt you over there but his defense doesn't make up for his weak bat at the corner. if Ruiz was the athlete that Flaherty was he would make a decent utility guy but he really doesn't move very well in is probably stuck 3B-1b, and maybe some corner outfield.

If Ruiz could hit like his streaks, ALL the time, he'd be a player.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Same goes for pretty much everyone, Sisco for example.

I would really like to see Sico get consistent ABs. Who knows, if he can hot like he did in MiLB maybe he can be flipped when AR is ready. I am not sure he can but, I'd like to find out for sure.