Baseball America ... 5. Orioles in their top 100. Plus the top 10 Orioles prospects

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Orioles Hangout was right.

I'm fairly certain I never called him a bust, but there was not doubt I rightfully gave up on him as a real prospect. Saying that, Steve was right in this case, players shouldn't worry about where they are ranked and should focus on getting better each and every day. Whether I rank a guy #1 or not ranked has no bearing on whether they make it or not, it's just my evaluation of them.

Now, have my evaluations been wrong much, no, but it's not a perfect science and sometimes I don't have all the info or have not seen a guy enough to be make a good enough evaluation until they get higher in the system.

It's funny though that after all these years he would remember that as a slight and for Steve to highlight that. :D 

Personally, I'm happy for him that he found a way to carve out 211 major league PAs, but yes, you expect more for the 13th overall selection of the draft.

Considering Jacoby Ellsbury was selected 10 picks later and Cliff Pennington, Matt Garza and Colby Rasmus were all selected after him in the 1st round as well, I'd say Joe Jordan would like that pick back. 

Probably not as much as his Matt Hobgood pick, but back all the same. :D 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm fairly certain I never called him a bust, but there was not doubt I rightfully gave up on him as a real prospect. Saying that, Steve was right in this case, players shouldn't worry about where they are ranked and should focus on getting better each and every day. Whether I rank a guy #1 or not ranked has no bearing on whether they make it or not, it's just my evaluation of them.

Now, have my evaluations been wrong much, no, but it's not a perfect science and sometimes I don't have all the info or have not seen a guy enough to be make a good enough evaluation until they get higher in the system.

It's funny though that after all these years he would remember that as a slight and for Steve to highlight that. :D 

Personally, I'm happy for him that he found a way to carve out 211 major league PAs, but yes, you expect more for the 13th overall selection of the draft.

Considering Jacoby Ellsbury was selected 10 picks later and Cliff Pennington, Matt Garza and Colby Rasmus were all selected after him in the 1st round as well, I'd say Joe Jordan would like that pick back. 

Probably not as much as his Matt Hobgood pick, but back all the same. :D 

Hobgood was a stupid pick. They should’ve just not signed him and retained a pick for the following year. They flushed his bonus down the commode and the outcome was predicted by nearly everyone but them.

57 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, figured this thread was as good as any since it is a BA article. 

Hope Adley is ready, would be nice to be watching him at the big league level by May/June.

On the one hand, this is awesome to hear, and it puts Adley into full Wieters-hype mode.   On the other hand, how can you judge from Florida instructs how good someone is going to be as a major league catcher?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On the one hand, this is awesome to hear, and it puts Adley into full Wieters-hype mode.   On the other hand, how can you judge from Florida instructs how good someone is going to be as a major league catcher?

They did get around a fair amount down there against other teams didn't they? I think they were seen, but I agree it can't be on the level of a minor league season.

I'd rather see AR begin the season with GrayRod in A+ ball.   Be promoted together to AA during the season where he also works with Hall.  And all three end up in AAA ready to be promoted in 2022 to the majors.   Why waste AR's major years on playing for the 2021 O's?   They are not going to have the pitching to contend next season.

Stay the course.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'd rather see AR begin the season with GrayRod in A+ ball.   Be promoted together to AA during the season where he also works with Hall.  And all three end up in AAA ready to be promoted in 2022 to the majors.   Why waste AR's major years on playing for the 2021 O's?   They are not going to have the pitching to contend next season.

Stay the course.

I'd rather not have Grayson in A+ ball.

I don't want to see everyone in the farm lose a year of their career.  I would hope that they learned enough in their controlled environment that they can skip a level.

Seriously, what is it you have heard about Grayson that makes you think he needs to be in A+ ball next year?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to see everyone in the farm lose a year of their career.  I would hope that they learned enough in their controlled environment that they can skip a level.

Seriously, what is it you have heard about Grayson that makes you think he needs to be in A+ ball next year?

I heard he did not pitch in actual games in Bowie.   His stay in A+ does not have to be long if he shows he can master that level.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’ll let them sort it out in spring training.   

As to Adley, if he’s truly ready for the majors, I hope they get him there sometime in the first half of 2021.    No point wasting those knees in the minors all year.    I believe the O’s have a decent shot at a winning record in 2022 and having Adley get a good bit of major league experience in ‘21 can only help that along.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll let them sort it out in spring training.   

As to Adley, if he’s truly ready for the majors, I hope they get him there sometime in the first half of 2021.    No point wasting those knees in the minors all year.    I believe the O’s have a decent shot at a winning record in 2022 and having Adley get a good bit of major league experience in ‘21 can only help that along.   

I just want it to be merit based.

If they should be at a certain level they should be at that level.

AR could have started his professional career at A+ and no one would have thought he was being rushed.