Is Elias leaning toward offense over defense in 2021?

wildcard

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins is terrible 

He was worth 0.5 rWAR in 48 games.    I’d call that useful, if he’s used correctly.   Keep him away from LHP.     We have a lot of options how to configure our OF, 1B and DH.   So long as Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays and Santander are all in the lineup when healthy, there’s room for Mullins to get a decent chunk of the remaining PT. Of course, he may get squeezed out when Diaz gets promoted.  

Just now, accinfo said:

I think Mullins is going to get every chance to play against right handed pitching.  See if he can at least hit from the left side of the plate on any long-term basis at the major league level.  

I'm curious if other teams are going to bother to alter their defense to combat his bunting.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why wouldn’t Mountcastle be the starting LFer until Diaz is here.

Why would anyone think differently?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins is terrible 

Eventually Mullins will be a fourth outfielder, but at the moment his defense is far superior to Mt. Castle, who should be at first or DH or both, just not at the same time

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He was worth 0.5 rWAR in 48 games.    I’d call that useful, if he’s used correctly.   Keep him away from LHP.     We have a lot of options how to configure our OF, 1B and DH.   So long as Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays and Santander are all in the lineup when healthy, there’s room for Mullins to get a decent chunk of the remaining PT. Of course, he may get squeezed out when Diaz gets promoted.  

And in his previous 67 games, he was worth -1.1 WAR.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's entering his age 26 season.  He isn't that young by baseball standards.  He's got ~2,800 at bats as a professional.

He has 418 PA as a major leaguer. He still has time to get better.   And, he actually WAS better last year, so I’d like to see him given some opportunity to show he can build on that.

So much about hitting is psychological.   I think now that Mullins has had some modest success he can stop overthinking it and just play his game.    That may help him.   

Mind you, I’m not saying I’m sure Mullins will succeed.    I’m just not ready to conclude he can’t.   

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins is terrible 

He’d be a 4th OF on a good team but this isn’t a good team and I don’t have any qualms seeing him out there if that means we’ve got some good defense. I’m biased though, I’ve always liked him as he was coming up through the system. 

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

He’d be a 4th OF on a good team but this isn’t a good team and I don’t have any qualms seeing him out there if that means we’ve got some good defense. I’m biased though, I’ve always liked him as he was coming up through the system. 

On a good team, he’s not in the majors although the 26th man may allow him to squeak in as a pinch runner type guy.  There can be value in that if you have the roster space.

A 4th OFer is much more important and relevant than Mullins’ game is.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

On a good team, he’s not in the majors although the 26th man may allow him to squeak in as a pinch runner type guy.  There can be value in that if you have the roster space.

A 4th OFer is much more important and relevant than Mullins’ game is.  

He can play above average defense, pinch run, and bunt. I’m not saying he is the best 4th OF in the world but he has plenty to offer a good team. He just isn’t an every day type of player. I feel like you’re being overly negative on his skill set. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

He can play above average defense, pinch run, and bunt. I’m not saying he is the best 4th OF in the world but he has plenty to offer a good team. He just isn’t an every day type of player. I feel like you’re being overly negative on his skill set. 

Look at what you just said.  He can bunt and pinch run.  Those are 2 of the 3 factors you named.  Those aren’t exactly things I would be hanging my hat on.  What you just said is why him as the 26th man is fine to have around.

A 4th OFer typically gets 300+ at bats.  They typically are someone you may lean on to start everyday when a guy is hurt.  I don’t see how anyone wants Mullins to be that guy.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Look at what you just said.  He can bunt and pinch run.  Those are 2 of the 3 factors you named.  Those aren’t exactly things I would be hanging my hat on.  What you just said is why him as the 26th man is fine to have around.

A 4th OFer typically gets 300+ at bats.  They typically are someone you may lean on to start everyday when a guy is hurt.  I don’t see how anyone wants Mullins to be that guy.

Are you sure about that? Looking at 2019, the only team in the AL east that had a "fourth OF" with 300+ PA as identified by bbref was the Orioles and that was Stevie Wilkerson. Making my way through the other divisions now, but it doesn't appear that the "typical" 4th OF gets 300+ PA.

• Upvote 1