Adam Plutko acquired in trade

eddie83

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Plutko has been a very solid contributor so far.   I like his pitch mix and wouldn’t mind seeing him get a start at some point.  

I want him right where he is.  In the pen pitching important innings.  Cleveland tried him as a starter and he is a better reliever.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Plutko has a 5.10 ERA in 36 starts in the majors.  He is 29 years old.  If he pitches well as a reliever I would leave him there.

Fair enough.

I'm just starting to develop an annoyance at what is actually the inverse of your post, but the constant suggestion to move guys to the pen because their stuff will "play up."   Well, everybody's stuff plays up in the pen.  It's a non-observation.

I wouldn't be so dogmatic about not letting him ever start again, but you're undeniably right: His best chance of success comes in the pen.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Fair enough.

I'm just starting to develop an annoyance at what is actually the inverse of your post, but the constant suggestion to move guys to the pen because their stuff will "play up."   Well, everybody's stuff plays up in the pen.  It's a non-observation.

I wouldn't be so dogmatic about not letting him ever start again, but you're undeniably right: His best chance of success comes in the pen.

I didn’t mean I thought he should be a starting pitcher.  I just meant that the next time we need a guy for a one-off starter, I wouldn’t mind giving Plutko the shot, rather than a guy like LeBlanc.   I think his stuff could play for 4-5 innings.  

I won’t argue with the idea that we might be better off giving those opportunities to a Lowther, Akin or Wells.   But there are times it makes sense to use someone who’s already on the 25-man roster for a game like that.

And, Plutko is inexperienced enough at the major league level where he may be able to take his game up a notch    

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t mean I thought he should be a starting pitcher.  I just meant that the next time we need a guy for a one-off starter, I wouldn’t mind giving Plutko the shot, rather than a guy like LeBlanc.   I think his stuff could play for 4-5 innings.  

I won’t argue with the idea that we might be better off giving those opportunities to a Lowther, Akin or Wells.   But there are times it makes sense to use someone who’s already on the 25-man roster for a game like that.

And, Plutko is inexperienced enough at the major league level where he may be able to take his game up a notch    

I wasn't really making a point about Plutko in a specific way, nor intending to suggest you did.

The most specific thing I can say about Plutko is: He's looked very good this year.  Probably our second best pitcher.

6 hours ago, Pickles said:

I wasn't really making a point about Plutko in a specific way, nor intending to suggest you did.

The most specific thing I can say about Plutko is: He's looked very good this year.  Probably our second best pitcher.

Maybe. Need to make room for Susler though if we’re just talking about this year. (Assuming Means is number one)

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

Fair enough.

Since the start the the season I don't think I have advocated anyone going to the pen except Lopez.  And only him now.  I said I wanted to see more of him in the rotation after his third start but now if Lowther is here and Kremer can be called up, I would rather see them in the rotation over Lopez.

So there may be some posters that have wanted to send others to the pen but that was not me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 9:43 PM, eddie83 said:

Really was hoping to see Plutko go two innings (or more) last night when he relieved Kremer.  Not sure Hyde is comfortable with anything close to an “opener” strategy.  Always seems we need to see 4 or 5 of the usual suspects trying to close out games like it’s a playoff game.
  • Thanks 1