Roch is obsessed with trading Santander

wildcard

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hays is making it easy to count him out which is unfortunate because he's got a good skill set.

I can see into the future. It happens as follows.

The O's get sick of Hays' injuries and throw him into a trade as a 3rd piece for a starting pitcher.

Hays goes to 4 all star games with said new team.

That's it. That's the future.

• Upvote 2

The reality is, NONE of these guys is reliable.  Sitting around and saying you can’t trade this guy or this guy because players X, Y and Z aren’t reliable is a pretty dumb argument when there are zero reliable OFers on the team or really, in the organization.

If some team gives you a good offer for Santander, you trade him. You don’t worry about how Hays and Diaz struggle with their health.  Santander does too.  

And btw, none of them are sure things to be really good contributors even if they stay healthy.  

The group as a whole is talented and give us a lot of reason for hope but that’s all it is, hope.

Just now, Philip said:

More:

WC can be thanked for stirring the pot a bit, but I agree with the crowd that this is non-news.

HOWEVER: Santander is our best player. We’ve no one to replace him. If he goes, the resulting OF alignment is weaker in every way. We have Diaz, yay, but ummmmm we also have the incredibly fragile Hays, the almost as fragile Mullins, who hasn’t shown he can hit long term, the questionably competent Stewart, and the should-be-at -DH Mountcastle. And who else? Approximately nobody? Maybe D Smith Jr is available somewhere?

Unless Elias wants to actively regress this season(and he might, we are waiting to see what he does this season) only an unreasonable return would be justified for Santander, and because teams are more highly valuing prospects now, that is unlikely.

Mancini has no trade value. Nobody does among our position players. Ruiz might accrue some if he starts to hit and continues to play good D, but ummmm nobody else.

I've said many times Wildcard can have some out there ideas sometimes, but he does stir debate. :) Especially deep in the offseason when there's no actual baseball to talk about.

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I've said many times Wildcard can have some out there ideas sometimes, but he does stir debate. :) Especially deep in the offseason when there's no actual baseball to talk about.

Exactly, and now that it is the onseason, We can talk about other stuff, like how Lopez is going to get absolutely blasted tonight because Akin is fat.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Philip said:

More:

WC can be thanked for stirring the pot a bit, but I agree with the crowd that this is non-news.

HOWEVER: Santander is our best player. We’ve no one to replace him. If he goes, the resulting OF alignment is weaker in every way. We have Diaz, yay, but ummmmm we also have the incredibly fragile Hays, the almost as fragile Mullins, who hasn’t shown he can hit long term, the questionably competent Stewart, and the should-be-at -DH Mountcastle. And who else? Approximately nobody? Maybe D Smith Jr is available somewhere?

Unless Elias wants to actively regress this season(and he might, we are waiting to see what he does this season) only an unreasonable return would be justified for Santander, and because teams are more highly valuing prospects now, that is unlikely.

Mancini has no trade value. Nobody does among our position players. Ruiz might accrue some if he starts to hit and continues to play good D, but ummmm nobody else.

Mullins has not been fragile.  Over the last 3 years he has played in 93% of his teams games.  Even when he was not hitting he still played almost every day.  I agree that Hays, Diaz and Stewart have all missed a lot of time with injuries.  Santander had that arm problem when he was claimed and the oblique last year and this spring.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree on most of these takes, though Stewart doesn't straight up suck...his OBP tool is actually really good.  He can't stay healthy, either, though.  And Moutcastle was decent in the outfield last year although ideally he's a 1B/DH type.  You have to leave room for Mullins to come around a bit as a LH only bat.

It's a lot of outfielders to wade through to see who sticks.  I don't think Diaz is a guy but you have to get a look at him to see if he can prove otherwise.  Hays is making it easy to count him out which is unfortunate because he's got a good skill set.

I’ll admit I’m overly harsh on Stewart. But it felt like every time I would watch him in the OF he would look clueless and it just made me turn on him. When he was drafted as a sneaky quick OF with a good eye and unique batting stance I was actually really looking forward to how his career would unfold. But nothing like a good old fashioned baseball to the noggin to make those good vibes get sour. 

• Haha 1

Just now, wildcard said:

Mullins has not been fragile.  Over the last 3 years he has played in 93% of his teams games.  Even when he was not hitting he still played almost every day.  I agree that Hays, Diaz and Stewart have all missed a lot of time with injuries.  Santander had that arm problem when he was claimed and the oblique last year and this spring.

That worries me most of all the "injury-prone" OFers. That's the only recurring injury which is a worry (to me.) Hays, and Stewart, like Hunter H, are a dartboard throw of injuries. Nothing recurring.

Whether or not that makes them injury-prone, idk.

Just now, Gentile4 said:

If the O's are willing to trade 26 yr old Santander, then I assume they're also willing to part with 29 yr old Mancini. What kind of timeline are we talking about here when it comes to competing for a playoff spot? Three years?

Trey is harder to trade from a PR standpoint... Don't know how much ME worries about that... he'd probably trade him in a second if he liked the return. He's been pretty ruthless.

Two or thee years imo...

I'm not sure if was a TradeRumors or Fangraphs chat, but one of their writers suggested that waiting for Mancini to have 19 homeruns at the All Star break and representing us in the game, then trading him immediately after would be the most Elias thing ever.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm not sure if was a TradeRumors or Fangraphs chat, but one of their writers suggested that waiting for Mancini to have 19 homeruns at the All Star break and representing us in the game, then trading him immediately after would be the most Elias thing ever.

We're on a pace to hit ZERO home runs as a team in 162 games and you are fantasizing about one guy having 19?

• Haha 1