The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, why exactly was T Wells unavailable? He threw 14 pitches on Monday. 

That's the big question.  If we take Hyde on his word that Wells couldn't pitch, the options for the 9th come down to Scott, leaving Fry in to try to get a 2 inning save, or Plutko or Eshelman.

Fry has only gone 2 innings once in 36 appearances this year.

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

This thread hasn't gotten much use this year because we aren't "trying" to win and we all know Hyde has not been given much talent to work with.

But I have to question bringing in Anderson in the 8th last night after we cut it to a 2 run game.  

Anderson is clearly the last man in the pen right now.  I do realize with Akin going today Hyde had to plan on keeping some guys fresh for today, such as Plutko.   And I certainly wouldn't have used any of the guys who pitched the night before, who was kind of our A team.

But Dillon Tate had not pitched since Sunday.  I think he would have been a much better choice than Anderson once we made it close.  Give us a fighting chance going into the 9th.

And using Tate for one inning last night would probably not make him unavailable today.  And we have an off day tomorrow.

Dude. This made absolutely no sense, it drove me nuts. Put anyone else in there. I'm sure it was an availability thing, but for crying out loud. 

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That's the big question.  If we take Hyde on his word that Wells couldn't pitch, the options for the 9th come down to Scott, leaving Fry in to try to get a 2 inning save, or Plutko or Eshelman.

Fry has only gone 2 innings once in 36 appearances this year.

I don’t. Unless he’s nursing some nagging discomfort there was no reason he was unavailable. Certainly not workload. His outing Monday was fairly easy and not high leverage. 

However, since we know Hyde’s performance isn’t judged on the W/L record he can have just about any rationale for his decisions.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

I don’t. Unless he’s nursing some nagging discomfort there was no reason he was unavailable. Certainly not workload. His outing Monday was fairly easy and not high leverage. 

However, since we know Hyde’s performance isn’t judged on the W/L record he can have just about any rationale for his decisions.

Wells pitched on the 17th also and it was only a 13 pitch outing, so unless there is some discomfort there wasn't an obvious reason to not use him today. 

Maybe Scott was going to get the ball today no matter what to test him out in a high leverage situation. 

• 2 months later...

I wasn’t watching tonight’s game at the time, but I don’t understand why Akin was pulled from this game with one out in the sixth.   He’d only thrown 90 pitches and only allowed 6 base runners in the game, abd no extra base hits.   I’d rather challenge our starting pitcher to get another out or two in a situation like that.   Especially if Hanhold is the alternative.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wasn’t watching tonight’s game at the time, but I don’t understand why Akin was pulled from this game with one out in the sixth.   He’d only thrown 90 pitches and only allowed 6 base runners in the game, abd no extra base hits.   I’d rather challenge our starting pitcher to get another out or two in a situation like that.   Especially if Hanhold is the alternative.  

I wasn't either, was running some errands.

Maybe because a couple of righties were due?

• 8 months later...
47 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

First time Hyde really disappointed me. You have to walk Vlad Jr. in that situation, hoping to get a double play. 

Vlad is not just one of the best hitters in the game, he's on a hot streak.  He hit 3 balls 114+ in one game.  If he hits the ball, more likely than not the game is over.

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Do you ever think ,Bautista should never pitch to Vlad? If we want to be better, we have to expose our guys to this very situation. 

There was an open base and if the baserunner scores the game is over. Do you want Guerrero/Kirk/Hernandez or Kirk/Hernandez/Espinal? Our odds of winning the game are low after failing to score but I would definitely go with door number two.

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Do you ever think ,Bautista should never pitch to Vlad? If we want to be better, we have to expose our guys to this very situation. 

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In that very situation you walk him.

I can see the merit of exposing Bautista to that kind of pressure to foster his development.  It comes at the expense of maximizing the odds of winning this game though.   I would not have done it.