The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

What I loved was, we replaced O'Hearn's spot in the lineup twice in that inning. Once with Mountcastle, and then with Cowser pinch running for Mountcastle. So the lineup didn't get appreciably worse having replaced that spot in the lineup twice. This is why McKenna getting optioned was a good move. The depth on this team is kind of incredible. 

I actually thought it was dumb and over managing, especially in the 5th inning.   But it worked.

O’Hearn, even if he doesn’t get a hit there was swinging the bat well and would probably face a RH pitcher later in the game.  Plus, Mountcastle had sucked at Norfolk.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I actually thought it was dumb and over managing, especially in the 5th inning.   But it worked.

O’Hearn, even if he doesn’t get a hit there was swinging the bat well and would probably face a RH pitcher later in the game.  Plus, Mountcastle had sucked at Norfolk.

Yeah I wasn't really talking about whether it was a good idea or if worked.

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Hyde does the right thing in allowing a scrub to pitch the 9th in a 5-0 game, and it blows up in his face. He may never allow anyone besides Bautista or Cano to pitch the 9th again. 

Should have let Bradish finish the 8th, then Baker could have pitched the 9th

I do not agree with facing Arraez in that situation. Tying run on second with first base open, you walk him. Bring in Baumann to face Soler. 

Luckily it worked out, but that doesn’t mean it was a good decision to pitch to him.  

14 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I do not agree with facing Arraez in that situation. Tying run on second with first base open, you walk him. Bring in Baumann to face Soler. 

Luckily it worked out, but that doesn’t mean it was a good decision to pitch to him.  

The problem with that is, Baumann stinks half the time.

• Upvote 1

I do agree with facing Arraez in that situation. It's bad enough that it got to the tying run on second. You don't put the go ahead run on first with their best home run threat coming up next. You roll the dice with left versus left. Even though it's Arraez. Baumann threw 30 pitches yesterday.

Let's all agree - WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck of a series. Now come the Brooklyn - I mean Los Angeles Dodgers.

1 minute ago, Too Tall said:

I do agree with facing Arraez in that situation. It's bad enough that it got to the tying run on second. You don't put the go ahead run on first with their best home run threat coming up next. You roll the dice with left versus left. Even though it's Arraez. Baumann threw 30 pitches yesterday.

Let's all agree - WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck of a series. Now come the Brooklyn - I mean Los Angeles Dodgers.

Soler was out of the game. It would’ve been their .541 OPS catcher. Facing Arraez was a foolish move. Luckily, it worked out. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

The problem with that is, Baumann stinks half the time.

Apparently Soler was out of the game and it would have been their light hitting catcher, so that means you leave Coulombe in and the move is even more indefensible.

Hyde said he thought about walking Arraez but since Coulumbe got ahead in the count he let him pitch to him.  He also said Baumann was up mostly as insurance and didn’t want to use him after going 1.2 innings yesterday.  They still need at least 1 more dependable bullpen guy that way you don’t get in these situations.  I expect Bazardo goes back down tomorrow for GRod unless Mullins is gonna go on IL.  

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Hyde said he thought about walking Arraez but since Coulumbe got ahead in the count he let him pitch to him.  He also said Baumann was up mostly as insurance and didn’t want to use him after going 1.2 innings yesterday.  They still need at least 1 more dependable bullpen guy that way you don’t get in these situations.  I expect Bazardo goes back down tomorrow for GRod unless Mullins is gonna go on IL.  

Shouldn’t he have decided on walking Arraez before Coulumbe started pitching to him? That’s a poor answer. 

I assume Bazardo is gone regardless of whether Mullins is on the IL. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

Bauman threw 30+ pitches about 18 innings earlier.   

I certainly see your point about not facing Arraez... but it is kind of "the book" that says you don't put the winning run on base.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Bauman threw 30+ pitches about 18 innings earlier.   

I certainly see your point about not facing Arraez... but it is kind of "the book" that says you don't put the winning run on base.   

Baker only threw 4 pitches in the 8th. I would have sent him out there for the ninth. Not one to pick on Hyde, but I thought it was strange to trot Bazardo out there for the ninth. But….We got away with it

Edited by theobird
mis spelled
  • Upvote 1