The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m not overreacting. It’s only one game, but how many times will the same flawed logic present itself? 

I mention it because it is a legitimate question, and the justification, if the true answer, is quite literally, stupid.

I stand by my contention that Santander should have started, unless he’s injured. 

I stand by the obvious contention that starting an unproven rookie in his debut while sitting Santander is absolutely unjustified except in the case of injury,

and the pitching mess has been adequately presented.

So no, I’m not blowing anything out of proportion.

It's a 162 game season and guys are going to get days off when the manager sees fit.   That shouldn't even be controversial.  I know you don't seem to grasp the concept of managing to maximize the team over 162 games, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.   Every single manager does it.   You have a guy who didn't play for over a week due to an tweaked oblique, then played 3 straight days in the cold.   If Hyde thinks he could use a day off, I think that is more than reasonable.

We are going to be going with lots of unproven rookies in the next few years.   Some of us have been waiting for a long time to see it happen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's a 162 game season and guys are going to get days off when the manager sees fit.   That shouldn't even be controversial.  I know you don't seem to grasp the concept of managing to maximize the team over 162 games, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.   Every single manager does it.   You have a guy who didn't play for over a week due to an tweaked oblique, then played 3 straight days in the cold.   If Hyde thinks he could use a day off, I think that is more than reasonable.

We are going to be going with lots of unproven rookies in the next few years.   Some of us have been waiting for a long time to see it happen.

You don’t need to give a day off, four games into the season, when you’re facing the Yankees, to your best player, so that a raw rookie who can’t hit can start in his stead. This is game FOUR, not game 84, and it’s a long time till the hot steamy days of June.

yes we need to give lots of time to our untested rookies. I look forward to it.But it was unjustifiable to do so then. It was stupid. And I’m writing this on Tuesday after another round of stupid.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

You don’t need to give a day off, four games into the season, when you’re facing the Yankees, to your best player, so that a raw rookie who can’t hit can start in his stead. This is game FOUR, not game 84, and it’s a long time till the hot steamy days of June.

yes we need to give lots of time to our untested rookies. I look forward to it.But it was unjustifiable to do so then. It was stupid. And I’m writing this on Tuesday after another round of stupid.

Have you finished "underreacting" or should we move on to your boy Wade LeBlanc?  ?

At this point, I’m second guessing Sisco breaking camp with the Orioles.

Granted, it’s two regular seasons games for his so far, but he is showing Spring Training wasn’t a fluke and is just overmatched. Atleast Severino woke up his bat at the end of the Spring and has kept it going. Sisco just keeps hitting the “snooze” button. 1-8, 6 k’s in a row and becoming aggressive on the first pitch for a fly ball to avoid 7 in a row.

20 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

My biggest problem is the fact that Jorge Lopez is on the roster in the first place.  He has had pitched 233 innings over several seasons and his career ERA is 6.  That track record should matter more than a small sample in spring training.  I don't know what the organization sees in him.

That said, Hyde probably should have brought in LeBlanc or Fry rather than Armstrong to face Hicks.  

Lopez was pretty good for the first 3 innings or so which is the role I had hoped for him. I still want to see him as a reliever, but I know what we are going to get with him as a starter.

Judging a pitcher based on how they do against the Yankees gives you a pretty distorted view. If Lopez pitches like he did Monday night against the Mariners or Royals or whoever he'll eat up some innings, which is his purpose.

Anyway, if John Means can be a stopper tonight I think you'll take 4-2 on a road trip through Boston and New York.