Scott Garceau

Robh21223

9 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

You are overvaluing Hunter, who was Top-40 radio awful.   At least the Hawk was entertaining;  I doubt he ever hyped a two-game hitting streak.  Hard to believe any player took Hunter seriously.  He once told us that he shared a cab with Mike Tomlin and suggested to Tomlin that he trust his stuff.  Tomlin was soon thereafter replaced after failing as a closer.  Just pathetic to see Hunter jump in to be the first to respond to an Adam Jones tweet from Japan.   

Hunter also admitted many years ago on air during a call-in show that he didn't know what a screwball was.

I’d say we just go full on minor league style and have fans call the games. Screw it. There’s getting less and less of a reason for MASN to pay for any of these guys anyway. Most of the time, Palmer is talking about himself. Most of the time, Garceau is boring and has a greater fondness for talking about the other team. And I know they don’t have a choice in this but seeing that giant piece of plexiglass separating the two while they are in the booth together is truly hysterical.

I grew up listening to Jon Miller on the radio.  He was the absolute best and of all of the stupid things this organization has done, letting him go after the 1996 season might be at the top of the list.   The good news for him is that he got to call 3 world series winners for his home town team, while I guess if he had stayed with us after 1996 he would have been able to call.....2 ALCS wins (games of course, not series).  Proctor and Lowenstein were great on TV as well. 

When I was a kid, Garceau was on the local news doing sports.   His delivery and inflection are the exact same as an announcer now as they were on local sports then.....incredibly boring.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Attention Orioles. Please bring back Gary Thorne.

Don't get me wrong, I like Scott Garceau as a sportscaster. As an Orioles play by play guy he is awful. I grew up with the greats like Chuck Thompson and John Miller. 

Garceau calls the worst home run ever. And so many mistakes like in last nights game.

Two examples:

He called a lazy fly ball by Mountcastle a great at bat and said the ball was really hit hard.

He told the audience what a great play Santander made robbing a guy of a home run when it was pretty clear Santander missed it. Oops.

Just embarrassing.

3 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Attention Orioles. Please bring back Gary Thorne.

Don't get me wrong, I like Scott Garceau as a sportscaster. As an Orioles play by play guy he is awful. I grew up with the greats like Chuck Thompson and John Miller. 

Garceau calls the worst home run ever. And so many mistakes like in last nights game.

Two examples:

He called a lazy fly ball by Mountcastle a great at bat and said the ball was really hit hard.

He told the audience what a great play Santander made robbing a guy of a home run when it was pretty clear Santander missed it. Oops.

Just embarrassing.

I think both of those mistakes (and a couple of others last night) were caused primarily by Garceau calling a game in Texas while watching it on a monitor at Camden Yards. Given that Texas has opened up completely w/no Covid restrictions at the Rangers’ new stadium it is idiotic for MASN to still be having their guys working remotely. I suspect there’s some minute cost savings by doing so and the network is using the pandemic as an excuse, but with this clown show who can tell. Anyway, so long as the guys are calling games from five hundred miles away you’re going to get those kinds of screw ups. 

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I think both of those mistakes (and a couple of others last night) were caused primarily by Garceau calling a game in Texas while watching it on a monitor at Camden Yards. Given that Texas has opened up completely w/no Covid restrictions at the Rangers’ new stadium it is idiotic for MASN to still be having their guys working remotely. I suspect there’s some minute cost savings by doing so and the network is using the pandemic as an excuse, but with this clown show who can tell. Anyway, so long as the guys are calling games from five hundred miles away you’re going to get those kinds of screw ups. 

You are bordering on the political here.   Perhaps MASN feels that Texas’ decision to open fully was unwise and unduly exposes their announcers.   Or maybe they feel that the travel part is an unnecessary risk.    In any event it will be interesting to see if they follow that approach all season, or modify it as the season progresses.    

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are bordering on the political here.   Perhaps MASN feels that Texas’ decision to open fully was unwise and unduly exposes their announcers.   Or maybe they feel that the travel part is an unnecessary risk.    In any event it will be interesting to see if they follow that approach all season, or modify it as the season progresses.    

Also Ben pointed out he has had one vaccination shot and is waiting ot have his second when he gets off the road back home in Louisiana.  It will be interesting to see once everyone in the broadcast are a few weeks from being fully vaccinated what they do about travel.  It has to be difficult to call a game from a TV and I agree it does take away from it.  Hopefully in 60 days or so most will be vaccinated and the cases will start retreating.  I hope after the All Star game we have a little more normal back.

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why should this be political? Given that the per capita infection rate in Texas is currently about half that of Maryland I'd have thought MASN would WANT their announcers working from the Rangers' stadium rather than Camden Yards. They'd not only do a better job of calling the games, they'd be less likely to get the virus. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Why should this be political? Given that the per capita infection rate in Texas is currently about half that of Maryland I'd have thought MASN would WANT their announcers working from the Rangers' stadium rather than Camden Yards. They'd not only do a better job of calling the games, they'd be less likely to get the virus. 

Totally agree with you. ✝️

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Robh21223 said:

More baffles tonight by Garceau. He is among the worst play-by-play guys I have EVER heard.

He's truly getting worse every game.

Ben McDonald is great.

Again he is calling the road games from a monitor in Camden Yards not in Texas where the team is.  You need to give him a break on these road games.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I also came here to discuss last night’s broadcast, which for me, was among the worst I’ve ever heard. Ben is great, but Garceau simply cannot do the job. He has no chemistry with Ben, and the amount of long, seemingly awkward pauses is for me, unbearable. 

For years I’ve watched out of market games on MLB Tv of other orgs and been astonished by how bad and amateur much of the commentating was, and I would thank the baseball gods we had Thorne. Now we’ve clearly joined most of the rest of the league by realizing that not enough people watch the broadcast to justify paying for legitimate talent. Very unfortunate. 

5 minutes ago, joelala said:

I also came here to discuss last night’s broadcast, which for me, was among the worst I’ve ever heard. Ben is great, but Garceau simply cannot do the job. He has no chemistry with Ben, and the amount of long, seemingly awkward pauses is for me, unbearable. 

For years I’ve watched out of market games on MLB Tv of other orgs and been astonished by how bad and amateur much of the commentating was, and I would thank the baseball gods we had Thorne. Now we’ve clearly joined most of the rest of the league by realizing that not enough people watch the broadcast to justify paying for legitimate talent. Very unfortunate. 

I don’t think Garceau is quite that bad, just dull.   But my big lament isn’t Gary Thorne.   It’s that we have at least two, and possibly three, PBP announcers on our roster who are better than he is, so why is he doing the majority of the games?   Give me Kevin Brown or Gary Arnold over Garceau any day, and maybe Brett Hollander too.  

• 1 month later...

How much longer do we have to tolerate Mr. Garceau? I am sure he is a nice guy and all but my goodness, just awful. Awful, awful, awful! I wonder if he is even watching the game at times. Outs wrong, base runners wrong, inning wrong and of course, mispronouncing everyone's name. WRRRRIO RUUUREEEZ!

I still would gladly take him over Jim "Homer on Steroids" Hunter (who also I am sure is a very nice man), but please. Put in Kevin Brown, dude is great. I actually enjoy the games when he is announcing. If not, put in Rob Long.

My two favorites by far are Kevin Brown and Jim Palmer.

On a side note: was anyone watching when Kevin Brown and Ben McDonald were doing play by play and Ben McDonald didn't know what an acronym is? Sigh.

Edited by NelsonCruuuuuz