Will Lowther or Akin be called up to make Saturday's start?

wildcard

5 minutes ago, scOtt said:

And Kremer (or anybody...) could be put on the Taxi Squad for a couple days? Like... Matt Harvey?

Just trying to get my head around it...

No.   The Taxi squad is guys in the minors.   They travel with the team on road trips.   So they are accessible and in the bubble for a possible callup due to injury or whatever.   All it means is instead of all the minor leaguers being in Bowie, a few get to travel with the team on road trips so it is easier in this Covid environment for them to join the team if we decide to make a roster move.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

No, they aren't available.   They aren't on the roster.   If they are on the taxi squad, they could be added to the roster and someone else could be removed.

I meant all the Armstrongs and Valdez' and even Wells? Guys already on the 26.

Is it like a completely free base of players to swap and choose?

Just now, scOtt said:

I meant all the Armstrongs and Valdez' and even Wells? Guys already on the 26.

Is it like a completely free base of players to swap and choose?

No.   The 26 man roster is the 26 man roster.   

If a guy has options, he can be sent down.   If he doesn't, he can't be.   Or he would have to be DFAd and go through waivers, etc.  Just like any other year.  Wells can't be sent down, because of Rule 5.

And someone else can be brought up.   And it's easier to bring someone up if they are on the taxi squad and thus are travelling with the team and in the bubble already.   

I'm not sure what you are getting at with "free base of players to swap and choose"?   Roster rules still apply, options, DFAs, Rule 5s, etc.   The extra guy for a doubleheader is a freebie.   And I THINK there might be something where a guy not on the 40 can be added to the 26 man **IF** someone gets Covid and goes on the Covid list, and you don't have to bump someone off the 40 to make room for him.   But other than that it's the standard roster rules.   

58 minutes ago, scOtt said:

And Kremer (or anybody...) could be put on the Taxi Squad for a couple days? Like... Matt Harvey?

Just trying to get my head around it...

No, the Taxi squad just allows teams to keep players close by in case of a COVID situation, but can be used to preplan a minor league move as well. A taxi squad player must be on the 40-man roster and to be actived to the 26-man roster, another player must be removed off the 26-mean roster by either optioning, DFAing, trading or being put on an injured list (COVID or otherwise).

14 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Roch just tweeted that Kremer is now listed as the starter for tomorrow. I'm a bit surprised, I was expecting it to be Plutko.

Not overly surprised. They can still hold Kremer to 50-60 pitches and then go to the pen.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

No.   The 26 man roster is the 26 man roster.   

If a guy has options, he can be sent down.   If he doesn't, he can't be.   Or he would have to be DFAd and go through waivers, etc.  Just like any other year.  Wells can't be sent down, because of Rule 5.

And someone else can be brought up.   And it's easier to bring someone up if they are on the taxi squad and thus are travelling with the team and in the bubble already.   

I'm not sure what you are getting at with "free base of players to swap and choose"?   Roster rules still apply, options, DFAs, Rule 5s, etc.   The extra guy for a doubleheader is a freebie.   And I THINK there might be something where a guy not on the 40 can be added to the 26 man **IF** someone gets Covid and goes on the Covid list, and you don't have to bump someone off the 40 to make room for him.   But other than that it's the standard roster rules.   

That's what I wasn't sure of.

Obviously, neither Lowther nor Akin was called up to make the Saturday start.   But each has now pitched one game against the Nats’ alt site team.   On Friday, Akin allowed 2 runs on 3 hits, 0 BB in 3 innings while striking out 2 and throwing 58 pitches.   Yesterday,  Lowther  allowed 1 run on 2 hits and 1 walk, striking out 5 over 4 IP in 61 pitches.   I do think Lowther might get a call-up over Akin if the need arises anytime soon (which hopefully won’t happen).   

Roster Resource has Tom Eshelman listed as today’s SP. Usually they’re pretty spot on. To add him we have to make a 40 man roster move. We can DFA someone or put someone on the 60 day IL. 

I don’t see who is really worth DFA’ing this early into the season. Could we do some rule 5 shenanigans with Scroeler and put him on the 60 day DL?  We could also suck it up and DFA Wells or Scroeler. 

It’s a shame that Akin or Lowther couldn’t make this start. If the move is Eshelman he likely will be DFA’d at the end of the game. 

My prediction is we put Scroeler on the 60 day DL. Typical rule 5 shenanigans. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Roster Resource has Tom Eshelman listed as today’s SP. Usually they’re pretty spot on. To add him we have to make a 40 man roster move. We can DFA someone or put someone on the 60 day IL. 

I don’t see who is really worth DFA’ing this early into the season. Could we do some rule 5 shenanigans with Scroeler and put him on the 60 day DL?  We could also suck it up and DFA Wells or Scroeler. 

It’s a shame that Akin or Lowther couldn’t make this start. If the move is Eshelman he likely will be DFA’d at the end of the game. 

My prediction is we put Scroeler on the 60 day DL. Typical rule 5 shenanigans. 

Looks like a rainout this evening and a doubleheader tomorrow.    Means will probably start the first game of the doubleheader.  Plutko or LeBlanc is my guess for the second game.   Sulser is the only reliever that may not be available for the DH.  That leaves the O's with 8 other relievers to pitch on Sunday.

• Upvote 1