Means, Harvey, and pray for rain?

now

42 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The Orioles might not be good, but they dont suck ...... and thats a welcome change in and of itself.

o

At 13-14, they are on pace to go 78-84 overall.

If things were to play out that way, this is how the franchise's winning percentage will have looked since the 2018 season ......

2018: llll .290

2019: llll .333

2020: llll .417

2021: llll...481 ll (PROJECTED)

I'm not necessarily saying that I believe that things will indeed play out like that, I'm extrapolating from the little bit of information that we have (almost 17% of the season has been played so far) in terms of the team's current overall) W - L )record.

o

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect team mates to make comments of this sort.

While I don’t think Harvey was dominating yesterday, I don’t agree with SG that you can’t have a dominating outing unless you get a lot of strikeouts and a lot of swinging strikes.   I’ve seen hundreds of starts in my lifetime where a pitcher didn’t strike out many guys but had the batters completely off balance, hitting in unfavorable counts and not making solid contact.    And those are dominating games as far as I’m concerned.  

Here’s a classic example from a game I attended in person a long time ago.   It was the year after Brad Bergesen’s excellent rookie season, and he’d been struggling all year.    But that night, he had everything working, and pitched a 103 pitch complete game, allowing only 2 hits and walking 2.    He had only 4 strikeouts and induced only 8 swinging strikes, but he was in complete control the entire game.  Would I call that a dominant outing?  Absolutely.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE201008110.shtml

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

At 13-14, they are on pace to go 78-84 overall.

If things were to play out that way, this is how the franchise's winning percentage will have looked since the 2018 season ......

2018: llll .290

2019: llll .333

2020: llll .417

2021: llll...481 ll (PROJECTED)

I'm not necessarily saying that I believe that things will indeed play out like that, I'm extrapolating from the little bit of information that we have (almost 17% of the season has been played so far) in terms of the team's current overall) W - L )record.

The O’s record after 27 games last year?   13-14.    So yes, better not to assume that the remaining 5/6 of the season will resemble the first 1/6.

Still, as a fan I try to separate (1) what I hope will happen, (2) what I think probably will happen, and (3) what I know will happen.   I think we probably end up around 65 wins.   But I definitely don’t know that’s going to happen, and I sure as hell hope that they’re going to do as well as they’ve done so far, or better.   And if that does happen, it won’t be the most shocking thing that’s ever happened in my years as a fan.   Nobody saw 1989 or 2012 coming, but they happened.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While I don’t think that Harvey was dominating yesterday, I dont agree with SG that you can’t have a dominating outing unless you get a lot of strikeouts and a lot of swinging strikes. Ive seen hundreds of starts in my lifetime where a pitcher didnt strike out many guys but had the batters completely off balance, hitting in unfavorable counts and not making solid contact ...... and those are dominating games, as far as Im concerned.  

Heres a classic example from a game that I attended in person a long time ago. It was the year after Brad Bergesens excellent rookie season, and hed been struggling all year. But on that night he had everything working, and threw a 103-pitch Complete Game, allowing only 2 Hits and 2 Walks. He had only 4 Strikeouts and induced only 8 swinging strikes, but he was in complete control the entire game. Would I call that a dominant outing ???  Absolutely.  

o

Tommy John was a groundball machine after he had his UCL surgery. In 1979, he finished 2nd to Mike Flanagan for the AL Cy Young award. 

In one game against the Orioles that season, 18 out of the 27 outs that he recorded came via the Groundball )(16 )Groundouts, including )2 Double Plays.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL197904120.shtml

o

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While I don’t think Harvey was dominating yesterday, I don’t agree with SG that you can’t have a dominating outing unless you get a lot of strikeouts and a lot of swinging strikes.   I’ve seen hundreds of starts in my lifetime where a pitcher didn’t strike out many guys but had the batters completely off balance, hitting in unfavorable counts and not making solid contact.    And those are dominating games as far as I’m concerned.  

Here’s a classic example from a game I attended in person a long time ago.   It was the year after Brad Bergesen’s excellent rookie season, and he’d been struggling all year.    But that night, he had everything working, and pitched a 103 pitch complete game, allowing only 2 hits and walking 2.    He had only 4 strikeouts and induced only 8 swinging strikes, but he was in complete control the entire game.  Would I call that a dominant outing?  Absolutely.  

A solid performance but I wouldn’t say dominant.  I imagine there were quite a few hard hit balls that just happened to go right to fielders. And a SwStr% of 7.7 is terrible. 

• Elite: 16% or higher
  • Good: 14%
  • Average: 12%
  • Poor: 10%
  • Awful: 8% or lower

When a subjective term is used to described something, it can be interpreted as the describer  pleases.  I have found it is usually a waste of my time to try to guess what he really meant by using such a word,  rather than using a more objective word that needs little,  if any further explanation.  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

A solid performance but I wouldn’t say dominant.  I imagine there were quite a few hard hit balls that just happened to go right to fielders. And a SwStr% of 7.7 is terrible. 

Elite: 16% or higher Good: 14% Average: 12% Poor: 10% Awful: 8% or lower

You can imagine all you want.  I picked a game that I attended in person and remember well for a reason.   No, there were not a lot of hard hit balls in that game.   That’s why I say it was dominant, and no, I don’t care about his “terrible” swing strike percentage.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, I never said you have to have Ks and missed bats...however, you also can’t struggle to throw strikes and Walk a lot of guys AND have those other poor numbers and call those outings dominant.

On top of that, the “100s of outings” you have seen weren’t in an era where Ks and missed bats are way up.  So, if you aren’t doing those things in today’s game, I don’t see how you are dominant.

Also, when you are K’ing guys and missing bats, it means you have great stuff that day.  It’s hard to be a dominant pitcher if your stuff isn’t good.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s wrong 

Of course, but what’s he gonna say? It’s his teammate.

That’s why I have no interest in anything Hyde said about his players. Much more interesting is what he DOES, and I’m happy that MC has been doing DH.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Of course, but what’s he gonna say? It’s his teammate.

That’s why I have no interest in anything Hyde said about his players. Much more interesting is what he DOES, and I’m happy that MC has been doing DH.

Yea i agree...My point is that him saying that isn’t some evidence that Harvey dominated yesterday.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea i agree...My point is that him saying that isn’t some evidence that Harvey dominated yesterday.

I’d be more interested in how the other team saw it.   

I wonder if there’s a site where you can see the average exit velocity or xwOBA against a specific pitcher on a specific day.   Anyone know?

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be more interested in how the other team saw it.   

I wonder if there’s a site where you can see the average exit velocity or xwOBA against a specific pitcher on a specific day.   Anyone know?

Not quite what you are looking for but you can get a lot of data from statcast single game reports including xBA.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=2021-05-01&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=scoreboard#634319

• Thanks 1