Robert Neustrom 2021

Hazmat

We don't see much discussion here of our 5th round pick in 2018.  He's a big left-handed hitting outfielder who had a decent start to his professional career in 2018 and then 2019.  He's off to an excellent start in AA this year with 7 hits in 18 ABs, 3 of them being 2Bs.  At 24 years of age, I'd love to see this guy take a big step and put him in consideration for a jump to AAA either this year or next and then be in the discussion to help the big club at the end of 2022, particularly if Santander is traded.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Neustrom hit a very long home run, maybe two weeks ago, completely out of a ballpark. So, he does have tremendous power, just has trouble getting to it in games. Let’s see how he finishes. If Grenier can make major strides, perhaps Neustrom can make more consistent hard contact in the coming months. He was injured for large part of 2019, so maybe he just needs a little time.

8 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Neustrom hit a very long home run, maybe two weeks ago, completely out of a ballpark. So, he does have tremendous power, just has trouble getting to it in games. Let’s see how he finishes. If Grenier can make major strides, perhaps Neustrom can make more consistent hard contact in the coming months. He was injured for large part of 2019, so maybe he just needs a little time.

Pretty sure I saw that it would have hit 3-4 levels up on the warehouse.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has a nice looking swing, doesn’t he! His MiL numbers haven’t been very impressive, which is a bit surprising. Seems like a guy who might suddenly turn the switch on statistically. Maybe that’s wishful thinking, but he looks a lot better than his numbers suggest. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently ranked #49 in Tony's Top 50 but he's continuing to hit for a high average, .289, and his OPS is now above .800 at .817 as he's shown a little more power recently.  He's been "quietly" consistent.  At 24 in AA, it's reasonable we could see him in Camden Yards sometime next year.

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

Currently ranked #49 in Tony's Top 50 but he's continuing to hit for a high average, .289, and his OPS is now above .800 at .817 as he's shown a little more power recently.  He's been "quietly" consistent.  At 24 in AA, it's reasonable we could see him in Camden Yards sometime next year.

He could move up here soon if he can tap into that raw power more during game time. His plate discipline has improved this and he's a decent defensive outfielder from what I've seen. 

He's starting to grow on me more sure but his struggles to hit lefties this year may lead him to be a platoon guy. 

He is on a 10 games hit streak, his june has been great (319 avg 9094 OPS) and his july begins even more than great : 350/49/900 with 1 triple and 3 Home Runs (the same as may and june combined). Theres anoter triple in his 10 games streak late june. I would like to sort his stats against lefties as it's been pointed but it can't be that bad with those stats.

I hope he make the move to Norfolk before next year because he has it now. If we take off a slow may, where he was learning AA, we can consider he totally reached the level here.

19 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

901 OPS in June in 104 PA and a 1161 OPS so far in July through 33 PA,s so he is definitely improving after a cold start in May. One issue Neustrom does have is a .638 OPS against LH pitching which is pretty bad. 

Has he improved in that split?