Who’s next to go?

Philip

18 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You are speaking in "ifs", but there are people who want to replace him now.  You are going to point to past track record and say he will trend down.  I pointed to advanced metrics that show he is likely to trend up.

The point of my post was that a three game sample is not the grounds to overreact.  Lets see what the next three games looks like and evaluate from there.  

The OP says who is next to go...its not Harvey.

Harvey isn’t next to go but he is teetering.

Btw, I can post a lot of stats that say he isn’t good.  There are 2 sides to every coin.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I want to know why Sisco isn't getting more playing time. Does Elias not like Sisco and doesn't feel particularly attached to him because he didn't draft him? I've seen enough of Severino to know he isn't an everyday catcher. Sisco might respond better if he's playing 5 days a week. 

Ultimately AR is taking over being the plate, but Sisco's bat has more potential as an MLB hitter and might allow him to play 1B/DH as a role player. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see Sisco go to a team like Tampa or Oakland and become a solid role player.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve had many arguments with Philip over the last 1-2 years about Sisco, making many of the points you’re making.   But at this point I’m wondering what’s going on with his bat.   Yes, 63 PA over 47 games played by the team is not a lot, but it’s not materially different from the playing time he got in 2019-20 when he hit much better.   But he’s hitting way worse.  Exit velocity down 4 mph.    One barreled ball out of 42 balls he’s put in play.     He’s not hitting the ball hard at all when he makes contact, or in the air.   I’m about at the point where he needs a re-set at Norfolk to see if he can get something going.   I’m not confident at all that having him switch to 70% playing time instead of 30% at the major league level is going to make any difference right now.    

I'm not confident that with more playing time he will hit in the majors, either. In fact, I doubt he would improve much, But let's see.

If you send him to AAA (where I don't think you'd want to give him all of the catcher ABs because of the other guys there, probably including Rutschman in a while), and if his hitting improves, you still won't know whether he can hit in the majors. He has just over 508 PAs with the Orioles, spread out over five years (one of the few guys on the team for whom the difference between PAs and ABs matters). Give him 200 or so more as the Orioles' #1 catcher over the next couple of months and see what happens -- you may be able to pull the plug before then. 

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You're getting way ahead with praising Holt. It's his first season as pitching coach, can we at least get through one season before evaluating his effectiveness. And Holt has a long way to go before surpassing Ray Miller. 

I said Holt has a chance to be better than Miller.  Not that he is at this point.

Sounds like you have been following Holt for a little over a month.  I have been following Holt for over 2 years while he built a pitching organization in the minors include coaches, analytics and how to teach pitcher  to use them.  He has been both a pitching manager and a hands on pitching coach.   What he has done in the minors has been impressive at least to me.  He has also worked with pitchers that are now on the major league staff include Means with is changeup.   Reworking Lopez delivery so he effective for 4 innings (something he has not done before).  And many others who were doing pretty good before he went on leave.   So far I think over the last two years Holt has shown he is difference maker.  And I think he is missed.

The type of hitter Sisco is, he's going to need regular playing time to show if he can do anything but he hasn't earned it. Is it worth it to find out? Maybe but with Rutchsman on his way how long would he be the number 1 catcher anyway? Could he really build up any trade value? Probably not. 

I guess having the lowest average on the team, having struggled at the plate since debuting years ago and just being really good at having pitchers hate you enough to throw at you to raise time on base percentage is enough to keep moving the line back. 

Every season when Sisco struggles, it’s always a cry of “he can be good, he just needs time!” At some point, that runs out. But I’m sure I’m gonna have a reply coming soon about his numbers over a few months stretch while ignoring the issues he has had since reaching Norfolk, when even Tony pointed things out and was nearly crucified for talking about people’s golden boy.

But anyway, if Harvey goes, that could open a spot for Akin to start or it moves Plutko out of the pen and Akin becomes a long reliever/swing man/spot starter. Baumann is now in AA and Bradish is starting in Norfolk, so those could be two more options later this year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You are speaking in "ifs", but there are people who want to replace him now.  You are going to point to past track record and say he will trend down.  I pointed to advanced metrics that show he is likely to trend up.

The point of my post was that a three game sample is not the grounds to overreact.  Lets see what the next three games looks like and evaluate from there.  

The OP says who is next to go...its not Harvey.

I’m not suggesting that Harvey should be the next to go, although pitching-wise, I’d like to see some changes in the bullpen, real ones, and not just calling up Waddell or Flaa and then jettisoning him the next day. 

I agree that we shouldn’t yank guys around, so when we call somebody up, unless it’s just the extra guy for a doubleheader, we should leave him up for a while if possible. Matson pitched what, one inning? I wish he’d remained for a while.

At this point, does it really matter who is next to go?  There are not many ready to move up right now and probably won't be for at least a year.  It's going to be another long summer, a bottom 2 or 3 finish, and a lot of hoping the young guys continue to develop to provide some help in two years.

I’ve decided that the next to go should be Armstrong. He was OK for a while, but he’s old, he’s not part of the future, he can’t reliably be expected to pitch at all, but he was never a high-inning guy, So there’s no reason for him to remain. Send him on his way with some chocolates and flowers and bring up somebody else. Anybody else.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’ve decided that the next to go should be Armstrong. He was OK for a while, but he’s old, he’s not part of the future, he can’t reliably be expected to pitch at all, but he was never a high-inning guy, So there’s no reason for him to remain. Send him on his way with some chocolates and flowers and bring up somebody else. Anybody else.

I agree. He has had enough time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Armstrong is a nice guy (I got his autograph at a game a couple of years ago), but I agree he's having no success this year and may need to be let go.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

He absolutely could be part of the future pen BUT he’s not showing enough signs of improvement right now, so he is definitely on that DFA line.

I hope we are somehow able to keep him in the organization though.