Oriole All-Star Bobblehead

Can_of_corn

My guess is that it was designed and produced cheaply in a country where there is little awareness of popular culture and racism in the United States. That would be an excuse for them, like the Playboy bunny socks for children that were once popular in Japan and otherwise "normal" bars here and there around the world that are filled with Third Reich swastikas and military paraphernalia and staff dressed in Nazi uniforms.

But there is no excuse for whatever office in the USA allowed this trash to be produced and marketed--apparently a somehow MLB-wide office because the same overall design was used for each team. I assume that fans all over the country where the blackface version was produced are disgusted.

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

My guess is that it was designed and produced cheaply in a country where there is little awareness of popular culture and racism in the United States. That would be an excuse for them. But there is no excuse for whatever office in the USA allowed it to go forward; I assume it is a somehow MLB-wide office because the same overall design was used for each team. I assume that fans all over the country where the blackface version was produced are disgusted.

I'm sticking with my theory that the designs were computer generated.  Why it was allowed to be manufactured and is for sale I have no idea.

Maybe because it is such a niche product?

From an announcement of the Philiies bobblehead (their skin is purple); the company is apparently FOCO:

FOCO today revived an MLB All-Star game tradition that it says began almost two decades ago.

“In 2003, inspired by CowParade, an international public art exhibit with roots in 1998 Switzerland, FOCO began to produce commemorative bobbleheads with team- and city-specific designs ahead of the Midsummer Classic each year.

In some years, FOCO produced life-size figurines that were placed around the city hosting the MLB All-Star Game. As those cities turned into baseball epicenters with fans from across the country visiting for the All-Star Game festivities, fans would be encouraged to take part in a ‘scavenger hunt’ and locate the giant bobbleheads for all 30 Major League teams.”

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2021/07/foco-revives-bobbles-on-parade-series-with-phillies-pirates-all-star-bobbleheads.html

FOCO's website filled with bobbles; first the Stanley Cup then the ASG:

https://www.foco.com/

"Forever Collectibles" with the following creed:

OUR STORY

FOCO - our passion for passionate fans has never changed since our journey began in 1998. We’ve always been a community of fans with a shared goal of helping people let their inner fan shine like a beacon of awesome.

FOCO is a leading manufacturer of sports and entertainment merchandise, with a product line that includes apparel, accessories, toys, collectibles, novelty items, and more. With major sports and entertainment licenses at our disposal along with a powerful infrastructure, a dedicated team, and a broad variety of products, our company is reaching new heights every day. FOCO’s success is directly related to our ability to bring new and exciting designs, ideas, and manufacturing techniques to categories in need of innovation. We are constantly searching for dedicated and driven professionals to join and help grow our team!

On 7/10/2021 at 10:47 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Whoever greenlighted this needs to be fired.  I agree with @SteveA, a lot of potential for offensiveness.  

On 7/10/2021 at 10:47 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Whoever greenlighted this needs to be fired.  I agree with @SteveA, a lot of potential for offensiveness.  

f16aa280-dd75-4828-bd5a-5ad860aab843.mp4