Orioles trade Armstrong to Tampa for cash considerations

Sports Guy

Not trying to be a smart !$!@#@.  But what is the Orioles incentive to do this trade?    We really need the AAA roster spot or a few hundred thousand $$$?

I guess he was a *non-tender* candidate with him being due for arbitration in the fall.......... ?

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Not trying to be a smart !$!@#@.  But what is the Orioles incentive to do this trade?    We really need the AAA roster spot or a few hundred thousand $$$?

I guess he was a DFA candidate with him being due for arbitration in the fall.......... ?

My guess was he was going to be DFA for Akin, so why not get some money to throw towards a new glove for Adley when GRod pitches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I guess he was a DFA candidate with him being due for arbitration in the fall.......... ?

To me, it’s a dumb move.  

It's a high threshold for me to say this on this board where we analyze every minor thing that goes with the organization, but who cares.  This guy had zero trade value (which is why we got cash considerations) and wasn't part of the future.  Barely part of the now. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, NCRaven said:

Armstrong is one of those dime a dozen right-handed relievers and we actually got something for him.  Does anyone think that another team would actually give up a prospect for Armstrong?  No way.

He passes through waivers just over a month ago. Other teams weren't even willing to pay his salary six or seven weeks ago. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

Kind of odd, but never underestimate the ability of the Rays to max a guy’s potential, or the Orioles inability to do so.

It will be interesting to see if Armstrong develops into an effective bullpen arm with the Rays. But, I really hope there are other trades made by Elias today and this isn't the highlight of the trade deadline for the Orioles. 

• Upvote 1