Interesting tidbits from Rosenthal's Elias/Zaidi article

interloper

What San Francisco has done has been amazing.   But I don't know that it can be duplicated, nor that anyone should try, most especially a building team.

The Giants have:
   -- a 34 year old starting C
   -- a 33 year old starting 1B
   -- a 33 year old starting 2B
   -- a 34 year old starting SS
   -- a 35 year old starting 3B
   -- starting OF:  31, 27, 30

They did get younger by acquiring 29 year old Kris Bryant.  They have key bench guys Ruf (34), Casali (32), LaStella (32), Flores (29), Slater (28).   They have one guy under 28 with more than 76 ABs (26 year old Mauricio Dubon).

Their rotation is 30, 31, 35, 30, 24.

Their most used relievers are 30, 34, 32, 28, 25, 29, 28, 27.

It has worked, that is amazing and a tribute to what Zahidi has done.

But its relevance to the Orioles is absolutely ZERO.   If we tried to assemble a team that old and put it on the field, we would be the laughing stock of baseball.   The position we were in and where we are trying to go are completely antithetical to that kind of strategy.   Putting them side by side an an article as some kind of comparison is a complete joke.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, SteveA said:

What San Francisco has done has been amazing.   But I don't know that it can be duplicated, nor that anyone should try, most especially a building team.

The Giants have:

They did get younger by acquiring 29 year old Kris Bryant.  They have key bench guys Ruf (34), Casali (32), LaStella (32), Flores (29), Slater (28).   They have one guy under 28 with more than 76 ABs (26 year old Mauricio Dubon).

But its relevance to the Orioles is absolutely ZERO.   If we tried to assemble a team that old and put it on the field, we would be the laughing stock of baseball.   The position we were in and where we are trying to go are completely antithetical to that kind of strategy.   Putting them side by side an an article as some kind of comparison is a complete joke.

It's unfair to really compare the Giants and the Orioles due to their spending power, but I get the concept behind the article. Zahidi is getting major production out of some savvy moves and is beating out the juggernaut Dodgers and talented Padres. The Orioles are a dead deer on the side of the road.

If you look at their team - Zahidi retained Gausman for a qualifying offer. Anthony DeSclafani was signed for 1/$6m. Darin Ruf was signed for 1/$1.3m. That's three of their top five WAR performers this year. 

Elias has shown no ability to find major leaguers who can outperform their expectations/contract. I'm not an Elias hater, but you can't look at the results for the past few years and not recognize its a major, concerning issue.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

It's unfair to really compare the Giants and the Orioles due to their spending power, but I get the concept behind the article. Zahidi is getting major production out of some savvy moves and is beating out the juggernaut Dodgers and talented Padres. The Orioles are a dead deer on the side of the road.

If you look at their team - Zahidi retained Gausman for a qualifying offer. Anthony DeSclafani was signed for 1/$6m. Darin Ruf was signed for 1/$1.3m. That's three of their top five WAR performers this year. 

Elias has shown no ability to find major leaguers who can outperform their expectations/contract. I'm not an Elias hater, but you can't look at the results for the past few years and not recognize its a major, concerning issue.

I don't really think it was Elias' goal to do that these past offseasons. Which I understand is a point of contention, but I'm just saying. Elias has had a few waiver claims and rule 5 guys work out. 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Giants have:

I bet every member of the Giants Front Office believes they are playing over their heads. Let’s see where they are next year. 

It doesn’t take one thing away from what they have accomplished but what they are doing is a better executed version of the 18 Orioles.  

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Giants have:

Maybe the Giants have found the new market inefficiency — undervalued older players.   And I’m only half-joking.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Maybe the Giants have found the new market inefficiency — undervalued older players.   And I’m only half-joking.   

The thing is, those guys aren't undervalued.  Those are mostly the 5 big inherited contracts Zaidi took over.

They're just living up to their salaries, all at the same time, in ways none of them have in a few years.

This is no sustainable.

56 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

For me the honeymoon is just about over. I am very curious to see what he does during the next off-season, and what this team looks like in ST camp.

He’ll do the same thing he did this past offseason and the ST roster will look almost the same. 

20 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Alex Rodriguez was talking during the Sunday Night Baseball game (Cubs- White Sox) about the Cubs big sell-off.  The Cubs fans were not happy about it, especially with the legacy players like Baez, Bryant, and Rizzo.  Cubs management does not consider it a re-build.  Rodriguez went on to say that given the financial resources of the Cubs, the "major market" position, and the fan base, the re-build will be quick.  He could see them back in playoff contention by 2023, or so.  It's crazy to think that they could recover from losing the talent that they have to turn right back around to contention within a couple of years (especially considering Baltimore is years away from that level and has 5 years head start on the re-build compared to the Cubs).  I guess a desirable team and location and an ownership group that is willing to spend money can land key free agents and speed the process along.  Time will tell how well the Cubs did with their trades of the big names.

Its not about a desirable team or location.  Its about $.

Big market teams get more in the deals of rental players because the teams they are dealing with know they can afford the QO.

Big market teams hand out bigger FA contracts, and in multitude, small market teams can usually afford one or two.

Big market teams can absorb a free agent or extension miss and so can take more chances.

Big market teams spend more in player development.

Big market teams can offer longer competitive windows to free agents.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Its not about a desirable team or location.  Its about $.

Big market teams get more in the deals of rental players because the teams they are dealing with know they can afford the QO.

Big market teams hand out bigger FA contracts, and in multitude, small market teams can usually afford one or two.

Big market teams can absorb a free agent or extension miss and so can take more chances.

Big market teams spend more in player development.

Big market teams can offer longer competitive windows to free agents.

Got an example?  I don't recall this happening.