Olney on O’s losing

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If his point is that MLB needs a salary cap and draft lottery I absolutely agree.

No, I think the point is that being a completely non competitive team for this long is absurd and not necessary and not the way things should be done.

And he’s right.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I've said this a few times... I believe a number of folks had no idea what a sorry state this O's player development system was in when Elias took over. Yes, the rebuild is taking longer than most... but couldn't it be because the necessary demolition was more extensive than expected? 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

And salary floor.  If you can't even spend to the salary floor, your revenue sharing money should be cut.

Makes me wonder if MLB could institute something similar to the luxury tax for the teams at the low end of the salary scale. Call it a "Tanking Tax". ?

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I've said this a few times... I believe a number of folks had no idea what a sorry state this O's player development system was in when Elias took over. Yes, the rebuild is taking longer than most... but couldn't it be because the necessary demolition was more extensive than expected? 

Yes ranked 22 out of 30 by BA.

A shambles

I think folks overstate the severity of the situation.

23 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

You can improve the PD system and win games.

Its not an either/or situation.

And btw, many of the players that have allowed this system to be ranked highly right now were here before Elias got here and Adley was gift wrapped to him and you can argue that he picked the wrong guy anyway and should have taken Witt.

That said, Adley is obviously a great prospect and should be the best C in baseball soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildcard said:

Penalizing  teams for losing is not addressing the real problem.  The great disparity between the rich team's resources compared to the smaller market teams is the issue.     The tanking to get high draft choice is just a symptom of the real problem.

The best players in the sport are young. You don’t get them by signing scraps off the FA pile. 

There is a cost to anything. The White Sox were mediocre. Blew it up and received good talent in return. They were terrible for a couple of years. Then when that young talent and existing talent in house converge they spent money. 

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The whole topic is stupid. He references 2018 in his tweet, a year they were trying to win. Then later on he brings up the Royals. Makes no sense. The Royals aren’t any damn good. 

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The whole topic is stupid. He references 2018 in his tweet, a year they were trying to win. Then later on he brings up the Royals. Makes no sense. The Royals aren’t any damn good. 

The Royals are on pace for 70 wins.  They spent money in the offseason trying to be good and they have promoting some of their young guys who figure to help long term.  They have also been aggressive with Witt’s promotion.

I think it’s fair to mention them.