Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Do we know there is a payout?  Through now he's been paid something like $164M, the O's still owe him $30ish plus deferred payments.  But if he just retired he forfeits the $30M.

He is still collecting checks bi-weekly. It would seem odd to retire without a payout, especially mid-season, but who knows.

That first great year in '13 was something.  I've never seen anyone, not even during the height of the 1990s-early 2000s, who could so effortlessly swing and hit a pitch 450' the other way.

What I remember about that year is how still he was was in the box when he was locked in. The ferocious power that uncorked from that stillness was awe inspiring.

That first great year in '13 was something.  I've never seen anyone, not even during the height of the 1990s-early 2000s, who could so effortlessly swing and hit a pitch 450' the other way.

It was like anytime he made contact, even in a bad part of the bat you were looking and thinking, this could get out of here.

Knock me over with a feather.   I’m sure there’s more to this story than appears in these public statements.    But, I’m glad that the pretense that Davis is still a major league player is finally over.    

I will choose to remember the good times with Davis more than the bad times.   He was an important part of our 2012-16 teams.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Do we know there is a payout?  Through now he's been paid something like $164M, the O's still owe him $30ish plus deferred payments.  But if he just retired he forfeits the $30M.

I'm thinking there is going to be a negotiated payout on the deferred payments. I'm surprised Davis would just walk away with one year left on his contract. He's made it this far being the worst player in baseball what's one more season.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m glad he is off the roster and it’s a sad end to a career the last few years.

That being said, he gave all of us a lot of great memories and it’s not his fault the team gave him a dumb contract.

He is/was great in the community and did a lot of great things for the team.  He probably has a place in the Os HOF some day. 

No need to trample on his grave today.

If there really was a grave, I wouldn't be trampling. Instead he took money and stopped doing whatever it was he did to earn that money and is walking away fat, dumb and happy with just about all of it.

He made an agreement under false pretenses and then didn't live up to his end of the bargain. Then he was a douche about it. I get that he gave us good memories, but what's fresh in my mind is that he's a bad dude. 

Good riddance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

He had a lot of great moments here.  When he was swinging well, it really was thrilling to watch.  

He also did get a lot of flak for what he was apparently doing or not doing in the offseason.  But overall, I always thought that he was a good dude.  

Part of what makes a great athlete great is that they have 100% confidence in their skills.  This is a positive, it's also a negative.  In his particular case, I believe he always felt that he wasn't far off from getting back on track.  That attitude is what kept him going for this long.  

By all accounts his teammates really liked him.  I hope he finds a fulfilling life in retirement.