Rylan Bannon 2021

Just Regular

6 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

This. Thanks RZNJ.

Re Yaz: Hindsight is 20/20.  But I, like most, did not have a problem getting rid of a 27-28 year old AAAA player.  It happens.  

The other part of the Yaz hindsight is that he was traded to bring in Dwight Smith Jr who wasn't great shakes either.  At first glance, their minor league stats were comparable.  

Difference is that DSJR was a first round pick, 53rd overall and Elias has shown that he likes former high picks.  

You're right, it does happen.  It just sucked because we could have used a corner outfielder that could hit a little and stay healthy.  He's regressed some this year but he's still a starting outfielder on a contending team.  

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Two things.  He just turned 24, has 11 homers in half a season of AB's and has some power and some speed.   This is his first extended look in AAA.   Some players get better.   He has some talent.   Mike Yaz was a 27-28 year old and mediocre in the minors.   I don't know if you are one of those guys, but I hope you not one who complained about letting Yaz go.

No complaints about Yaz. I am fine with keeping Jones and letting him earn a promotion, I just don't get the narrative that he is a clear offensive upgrade and entitled to a spot now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He struggles to turn the double play and doesn't really have the range you would like to see there. Saying that, he might be better there than 3B where his side arm throwing motion will end up with a lot of errors.

I went to a game at Bowie two years ago where he was playing third and I noticed that.  Quick release  but yeah, prone to throwing errors. 

Third base, I just feel defensively is more of an important position where an infielder without great accuracy or hands is more likely to be exposed and as long as your aren't a statue the easiest position to play in the infield other than first base. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're right, it does happen.  It just sucked because we could have used a corner outfielder that could hit a little and stay healthy.  He's regressed some this year but he's still a starting outfielder on a contending team.  

Yaz has been atrocious against lefties this year and appears to be moving into more of a platoon role.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yaz has been atrocious against lefties this year and appears to be moving into more of a platoon role.

That's fine, but he mashed lefties in 2019 and last year.  I'm not sure what the decline is due to.  Even if they platoon him, he's still playing an important role on a team with the best record in baseball.

He's had a way better career than Dwight Smith JR ever has.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's had a way better career than Dwight Smith JR ever has. 

I think you are misremembering this trade. Yaz wasn't traded explicitly to make room for DSJ. He was traded because the Giants had a ton of OF injuries and were looking for a warm body for the rest of the season. The Os were probably happy to get literally anything for him. The Giants simply just got lucky. Had they had a real foresight about Yaz they could have had him for free at any time in the Rule 5 draft. But as others have said, it looks like he's coming to down to earth which is to be expected. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

This. Thanks RZNJ.

Re Yaz: Hindsight is 20/20.  But I, like most, did not have a problem getting rid of a 27-28 year old AAAA player.  It happens.  

It happens extremely rarely.   He was basically a Joey Rickard level player.   

• 2 weeks later...

It’s now been 8 games since Bannon’s homer barrage ended, and in that time he’s hit .107/.219/.143.   Go figure.  Only 3 strikeouts in 32 PA in that span, so maybe he’s just hit a patch of bad luck, though obviously he’s not hitting for power at all right now.   

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s now been 8 games since Bannon’s homer barrage ended, and in that time he’s hit .107/.219/.143.   Go figure.  Only 3 strikeouts in 32 PA in that span, so maybe he’s just hit a patch of bad luck, though obviously he’s not hitting for power at all right now.   

I'm leaning towards leaving him off the 40 man at this point. Let's see what he does over the next month.