2021 AFL Predictions

sportsfan8703

The league is making a return on 10/13 after not having a season last year. The O’s get to send 7 players. In 2019, they lifted some of the roster restrictions regarding players having to be in AA, AAA, or having been off the Injured List for so many days. 

Who ya got going?

I’m guessing AR, Westburg, Gunnar, Stowers, Felix Bautista(if not in MLB), and probably two organizational type pitchers.  Neustrom, Grenier, Vavra, and Yusniel Diaz should be in the mix as well. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

It depends on who is healthy at the end of the season, and needs more reps. I would not send Adley. As a catcher, and I know he has played 1B and DH’d some, but I just rest his knees and get him ready for AAA and to make his debut in July 2022. I would like to send Westburg and Henderson, but I might want to rest them this off-season. Just get them into an off-season conditioning/lifting program. 

I do like the idea of sending Terrin Vavra, Cadyn Grenier, Kyle Stowers and Hudson Haskin. Joey Ortiz would be great, but I would not think he will be ready after labrum surgery on his left shoulder. Maverick Handley might be a guy to send. Maybe Patrick Dorrian or Zach Watson. Adam Hall is another I might consider, but he might need to focus on a program to add more muscle to his frame. 

Pitchers are going to be interesting. With so many watching their innings from the COVID stoppage, hard to say yet. I would not think we send any real top 30 type prospects. Maybe Cody Sedlock, Gray Fenter and Cameron Bishop. 

• Upvote 1

Might make sense for Hall to go, depending on injury progression. Westburg would be a good choice, and some combo of Gunnar, Cowser, Stowers, Ortiz (injury dependent), Hall.

No real reason to send any triple-A guys unless they missed time due to injury. 

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Might make sense for Hall to go, depending on injury progression. Westburg would be a good choice, and some combo of Gunnar, Cowser, Stowers, Ortiz (injury dependent), Hall.

No real reason to send any triple-A guys unless they missed time due to injury. 

I'm pretty sure that teams make sure to send enough of a representation of players that the teams actually function as teams.  So the Orioles will have to send a certain number of pitchers and might be asked to send a catcher.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pretty sure that teams make sure to send enough of a representation of players that the teams actually function as teams.  So the Orioles will have to send a certain number of pitchers and might be asked to send a catcher.

Maybe send a top prospect like Diplan or is that too risky.  I mean he is a Futures star.

We might face a lot of pressure to send AR, even if it’s just as a 1B/DH. He’s the #1 prospect in all the minors. West coast guy and it’s in Arizona. 

Stowers is sort of a must send. He’s in AA. He’s put up good numbers. He deserves to be there. 

Vavra fits the mold of an injured player that can make up some playing time. 

Those three are the “must sends” for position players. Arguments could then be made for lots of players but especially Westburg, Grenier, Cowser, Gunnar, Jones, and Neustrom. 

I have no idea on the pitchers.  I think it will be org guys.  I just hope that Elias let’s the bats eat down there.  

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they're asked to send a catcher, you send Maverick or Hudgins. Generally you don't see top prospects in the AFL who have already made it to tripleA. In the past the top prospects have been guys who ended the season in double A (and single A). 

I think the pro-Adley argument would be is Month6 of seeing live pitching beneficial.   But with the AAA extension, his 2021 will be the full 5 months of the traditional Minors season.

I do put a bit of value on batters developing the reactive skill of seeing live pitching - they can't get the lab pitch design benefits like proactive pitchers can.

I don’t think we should send any AAA guys to the AFL. If you want a AAA guy to get reps, have them play Winter ball in the DR or PR. It s a higher level of comp. 

Just another thought, but Elias may be making a few deals with prospects going out. The AFL is also a chance to showcase those players, maybe 1-2, he may be willing to move. The roster decisions prior to the R5 draft are going to be interesting.