Who are the Orioles 2021 #13 and #14 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who are the Orioles 2021 #13 and #14 prospects?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the Orioles 2021 #13 and #14 prospects?

• Michael Baumann and Terrin Vavra
    • Carter Baumler and Kyle Bradish
    • Kyle Bradish and Terrin Vavra
    • Zac Lowther and Jean Pinto
    • Jean Pinto and Maikol Hernandez

This poll is closed to new votes

Another tough one. I really like Pinto and can see the upside argument for Hernadez. Bradish and Baumann did not progress quite as hoped but hard to punish them too much. They finished the season in power rankings at 10 and 16, with Vavra 11. Hard to know what to make of Vavra's back issues, otherwise the .800+ OPS with 14% walk rate and ability to play IF/OF is really interesting. Baumler is completely unknown aside from pedigree but could be sneaky here. I think I will go with Baumann/Vavra but I can see the argument for just about anyone other than Lowther. 

I went Lowther/Pinto.    Tony made some pretty bullish remarks on Lowther at the end of the season, and I know he liked Pinto.

From Tony on 9/24:

“Of all the rookie pitchers that have come up this year, Lowther's stuff is the one that looks like it will play as a starter. Mark my words, he's the guy that will end up the best starter out of Akin, Wells, Zimmerman and Baumann (who I think is ending up in relief unless he can use that curveball more effectively because he lost his feel for his change this year).”

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm tying my cart to Bradish until he's picked basically. I think folks are seriously underrating him. He certainly has a good chance to be better than any of the rookie starters we ran out there in 2021. 

What is the case for Bradish over Baumann? He was lights out in AA but not great in AAA. Bauman started well ahead of him on the 2020 list (7 and 22) and finished ahead of him in the Power Ranking (10 and 16). They both seem to have some issues with walks. Bradish had worse ERA, Baumann had lower K/9 in AAA. Tough call but I can't punish Baumann that much for his MLB debut in a very small sample.

I went Pinto/Hernandez, but it may well be Bradish/Vavra. If I ask myself who would I rather have? I don't know the answer. I think the upside for Pinto/Hernandez is a bit more intriguing than the upside for Bradish and Vavra, but the floor and proximity to the Majors gives the older pair a bit more certainty. 

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

I went Pinto/Hernandez, but it may well be Bradish/Vavra. If I ask myself who would I rather have? I don't know the answer. I think the upside for Pinto/Hernandez is a bit more intriguing than the upside for Bradish and Vavra, but the floor and proximity to the Majors gives the older pair a bit more certainty. 

You have to ask yourself, what do you value more. Guys that are closer with lower upside, or guys farther away with higher ceilings. You also have to decide which pitcher do you think has a better chance of sticking as a starter with the weapons they have.