Who are the Orioles 2021 #15 and #16 prospects?

Tony-OH

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the Orioles 2021 #15 and #16 prospects?

• Mike Baumann - RHP and Kyle Bradish - RHP
    • Kyle Bradish - RHP and Terrin Vavra - 2B/CF
    • Zac Lowther - LHP and Carter Baumler - RHP
    • John Rhodes - OF and Carter Baumler - RHP
    • Terrin Vavra - 2B/CF and Mike Baumann - RHP

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I’m curious if your later rankings so far are a subtle knock on some of the players we all expected to be higher. The Hernandez write up specifically isn’t exactly glowing but he is ranked higher than guys like Baumann and Bradish who some of us were picking in the top ten. 

12 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’m curious if your later rankings so far are a subtle knock on some of the players we all expected to be higher. The Hernandez write up specifically isn’t exactly glowing but he is ranked higher than guys like Baumann and Bradish who some of us were picking in the top ten. 

Hernandez is all upside.  He just went with the upside play vs the guys who are Fringy type guys.

What did Baumann do in 2021 to warrant being anywhere close to the top 10?  Even Bradish wasn’t great in AAA, although he did end well.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Hernandez has an upside of an everyday shortstop with power and a pretty high floor according to people who have watched him. He started to hit better towards the end of his season and his plate discipline was pretty decent overall. 

I always prefer players with upsides of everyday players or starters over probable 4th outfielders/utility guys or relievers, even high leverage relievers. 

Now he has an extreme risk so I can understand that some people would prefer a less risky prospect at this point, but this is a guy who could be a top 10 prospect next year with a good year in the FCL or even better, if he makes Delmarva at 18 years old. 

Now I'll caveat this with that I have no eyes on him other than his original scouting video so I'm going off a lot of what I've been told. 

I'll have a better feel once he arrives in Delmarva and can get some eyes on.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Rhodes and Baumler. I like Vavra but he doesn’t have much power and that won’t play if he can’t stay at 2B. Seems slightly better than Jahmai Jones. 

A lot more upside with Rhodes and Baumler. 

I love that 14% walk rate though. IMO the bigger question is whether the back issues will become chronic. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Bradish and Vavra.

I don't like any of the choices, but this was the one I went with too.   I like Baumler's upside but I don't see ranking him this high coming off TJ surgery and having never thrown a professional pitch.   I don't think Baumann goes above Lowther right now and he probably doesn't go above Bradish.   So that leaves Bradish - Vavra.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't like any of the choices, but this was the one I went with too.   I like Baumler's upside but I don't see ranking him this high coming off TJ surgery and having never thrown a professional pitch.   I don't think Baumann goes above Lowther right now and he probably doesn't go above Bradish.   So that leaves Bradish - Vavra.

Why is that? Both had uneven progression in AAA and poor MLB debuts. Baumann was ranked ahead of Lowther on the 2020 list and in the power rankings. Was the eye test in his MLB debut that bad? 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I love that 14% walk rate though. IMO the bigger question is whether the back issues will become chronic. 

I assume a lot of that 14% is due to control problems with Milb pitchers. ML pitchers have no reason not to throw strikes to a guy who can’t hurt them. Gonna be difficult to maintain. 

• Upvote 1