Transaction term “primer”

Philip

Nothing happens til it happens, but can we glean anything meaningful from what the insiders say?

”Listening to offers” means nothing. Does anyone NOT listen to offers?

However, that’s probably indicates less interest than a term like…

”Dangling.” What does that mean? Is GM A calling up GM B and saying,” hey, I got this hot guy, and he can be yours! All I need is XX.” Is GM A being coy and hitting that MAAAAAAYBE he’ll listen…?

Regardless, it probably indicates more desire to trade, but maybe not as much as…

“Eager to deal” or “seeking the best matchup” which is where GM A is calling up everyone in the Rolodex and saying,” Have I got a deal for you! AND if you ACT NOW…no? Well, how about……etc etc”

All  those terms indicate at least partially dealing from a position of “I don’t have to” “I’m in no hurry” “if you don’t, someone else will,” and so on. But pity the guys who…

”Are willing to eat most of the contract…” the fools who rush in, and then find it veeeeery expensive to rush back out.. poor San Diego would be less poor if they hadn’t flung all that cash at Mr Hosmer, but they did, and he has been smiling ever since…and they..” are willing to eat most of his contract”

Anyway, where does that leave the Orioles?

We’re listening. Sure we are. Everyone listens except your cat in the backyard who doesn’t want to come in yet.

We are “dangling”…. That means we’re listening a bit more earnestly, but still it’s our call.

Nothing will happen unless it’s very good for the Bmore boys.

So let’s see what kind of horse trader Mike is, and what can he bring home in return for the shiny bauble he is dangling…

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Nothing happens til it happens, but can we glean anything meaningful from what the insiders say?

”Listening to offers” means nothing. Does anyone NOT listen to offers?

However, that’s probably indicates less interest than a term like…

”Dangling.” What does that mean? Is GM A calling up GM B and saying,” hey, I got this hot guy, and he can be yours! All I need is XX.” Is GM A being coy and hitting that MAAAAAAYBE he’ll listen…?

Regardless, it probably indicates more desire to trade, but maybe not as much as…

“Eager to deal” or “seeking the best matchup” which is where GM A is calling up everyone in the Rolodex and saying,” Have I got a deal for you! AND if you ACT NOW…no? Well, how about……etc etc”

All  those terms indicate at least partially dealing from a position of “I don’t have to” “I’m in no hurry” “if you don’t, someone else will,” and so on. But pity the guys who…

”Are willing to eat most of the contract…” the fools who rush in, and then find it veeeeery expensive to rush back out.. poor San Diego would be less poor if they hadn’t flung all that cash at Mr Hosmer, but they did, and he has been smiling ever since…and they..” are willing to eat most of his contract”

Anyway, where does that leave the Orioles?

We’re listening. Sure we are. Everyone listens except your cat in the backyard who doesn’t want to come in yet.

We are “dangling”…. That means we’re listening a bit more earnestly, but still it’s our call.

Nothing will happen unless it’s very good for the Bmore boys.

So let’s see what kind of horse trader Mike is, and what can he bring home in return for the shiny bauble he is dangling…

I don't think he'll get what he wants or needs for either Means or Mullins.

Besides, why trade Mullins? He's a very good young player, cheap and controllable for 3(?) more years. Return better be phenomenal.

I'd like to have Means, as anchor in the rotation. But he's just what every GM wants, decent SP. He might actually bring that big return that Elias needs. (4 young SP with high spin rates...)

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Besides, why trade Mullins? He's a very good young player, cheap and controllable for 3(?) more years. Return better be phenomenal.

I'd like to have Means, as anchor in the rotation. But he's just what every GM wants, decent SP. He might actually bring that big return that Elias needs. (4 young SP with high spin rates...)

I agree. I don't actually think either will be traded for what Elias wants and I expect both in O's uniforms in spring training, but again, nothing wrong with seeing what the market is

3 hours ago, scOtt said:

Well this is where the horse trading comes in, you don’t make a trade unless you win. The idea about “win-win” is splendid but nobody trades unless they think they get more than they gave, Unless it’s a dump, and we want to avoid dumps. So I want Mike to sit down at a table with a GM, any GM, but Preferably one who has a reputation for trading stupid, and I want him to come away from that table with every shiny toy in the other guys toy box, or I want him to walk away with no deal.

So I don’t want to trade them either, unless it is for “the farm.”