The Galvis dream is over

Sports Guy

From an MLBTR chat:

Freddy Galvis news is a bit of a surprise. Do you think we see a lot of FA sign overseas to "avoid the lockout"?

Mark P

8:28

This is quite possible.  Galvis is a cut above the usual type of player who signs in Japan, which indicates that the market is a bit broader than expected.  Keep in mind that the Japan Series only ended less than two weeks ago, so the NPB offseason is only just underway.....wouldn't be surprised to see more slightly bigger-name players opt to head to NPB

8:29

Also, for some context, the Hawks have won seven of the last 11 Japan Series championships, but they missed the playoffs last year.  So they might be extra motivated to spend a bit more on a bigger name like Galvis to get back into the title hunt.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/mlbtr-live-chat-662.html

• Upvote 1

I wonder how the MLBPA culls its rolls when things like this happen...does Galvis (or Matt Wieters, not retired) still vote on proposals this winter?

I was poking around B-Ref, and stumbled across Ariel Miranda's excellent KBO 2021...173 innings of 2.33 with 225K.   I don't think he is worth his own thread and assume he scouts worse than Wei-Yin Chen, but KBO 2020 Chris Flexen was 117 innings of 3.01 with 132K.   The filter where Miranda showed up was pitchers in all leagues...he had the most strikeouts of anyone outside MLB.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/leader.cgi?request=1&type=pitch&year=2021&group=All&sort_by=SO

Galvis to Japan promising for Jorge Mateo's hopes to be one of the Opening Day 30.   That we had Lyles money makes it feel more probable to me there might be Andrelton money too, though.

Whereas Urias was 80th of 85 at the OAA rate stat at 2B, he was 11th of 93 at 3B (had to drop filter to 25 Attempts to see him).   Gutierrez was 25th of 93 there.   If Odor breaks out of Valaika-type role, Gutierrez might be affected as much as Urias.   I will not be surprised if Odor has one of those Jake Fox springs, playing for his baseball life while others warm up.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielder&startYear=2021&endYear=2021&split=no&team=&range=year&min=25&pos=5&roles=&viz=show&sort=15&sortDir=desc

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

From an MLBTR chat:

Freddy Galvis news is a bit of a surprise. Do you think we see a lot of FA sign overseas to "avoid the lockout"?

Mark P

8:28

This is quite possible.  Galvis is a cut above the usual type of player who signs in Japan, which indicates that the market is a bit broader than expected.  Keep in mind that the Japan Series only ended less than two weeks ago, so the NPB offseason is only just underway.....wouldn't be surprised to see more slightly bigger-name players opt to head to NPB

8:29

Also, for some context, the Hawks have won seven of the last 11 Japan Series championships, but they missed the playoffs last year.  So they might be extra motivated to spend a bit more on a bigger name like Galvis to get back into the title hunt.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/mlbtr-live-chat-662.html

Can’t the Japanese rosters only have a certain amount of foreign players on them?  So that’s probably why Galvis signed early. More money and didn’t want to lose that option. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It doesn’t matter but you would’ve been against a 1/1.5mm dollar deal for Galvis?  

I’m against any deal that doesn’t bring in an actual good player…especially since we do we have a player like Mateo who, while he probably isn’t good, does represent some kind of potential and upside.

We didn’t have that last year, so Galvis was ok then.

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m against any deal that doesn’t bring in an actual good player…especially since we do we have a player like Mateo who, while he probably isn’t good, does represent some kind of potential and upside.

We didn’t have that last year, so Galvis was ok then.

You've also consistently said for months now that in no way should Mateo be handed a starting spot.

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I wonder how the MLBPA culls its rolls when things like this happen...does Galvis (or Matt Wieters, not retired) still vote on proposals this winter?

I was poking around B-Ref, and stumbled across Ariel Miranda's excellent KBO 2021...173 innings of 2.33 with 225K.   I don't think he is worth his own thread and assume he scouts worse than Wei-Yin Chen, but KBO 2020 Chris Flexen was 117 innings of 3.01 with 132K.   The filter where Miranda showed up was pitchers in all leagues...he had the most strikeouts of anyone outside MLB.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/leader.cgi?request=1&type=pitch&year=2021&group=All&sort_by=SO

Galvis to Japan promising for Jorge Mateo's hopes to be one of the Opening Day 30.   That we had Lyles money makes it feel more probable to me there might be Andrelton money too, though.

Whereas Urias was 80th of 85 at the OAA rate stat at 2B, he was 11th of 93 at 3B (had to drop filter to 25 Attempts to see him).   Gutierrez was 25th of 93 there.   If Odor breaks out of Valaika-type role, Gutierrez might be affected as much as Urias.   I will not be surprised if Odor has one of those Jake Fox springs, playing for his baseball life while others warm up.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielder&startYear=2021&endYear=2021&split=no&team=&range=year&min=25&pos=5&roles=&viz=show&sort=15&sortDir=desc

Good spot and interesting comparison, although Miranda is five years older than Flexen. Also, his first and last names are main characters in The Tempest--I don't think it was accidental--and the team doesn't need any more shipwrecks!

• Thanks 1