What are your expectations and hopes for Anthony Santander this season?

Frobby

And I don’t mean, “I hope he’s traded.”   What are your expectations and hopes on the field?

For his career, Santander is a .248/.290/.454 hitter.   Last year, he was at .241/.286/.433.   In his 37 game season in 2020, he was at .261/.315/.575.  

The three projection systems published on BB-ref and Fangraphs to date project as follows:

Marcel: .248/.299/.452

Steamer: .252/.301/.462

ZiPS: .259/.299/.463

All very much in the same ballpark, .751-.763 OPS, a tad above his career .744 mark.   

I can’t really argue with those projections in terms of what I expect.  And of course, you have to assume there’s a significantly higher than average risk of him missing time with injury.   So, if he plays 110+ games with a .751-.763 OPS, I don’t think you can be disappointed with that.  

But, on the other hand, if he gets lucky with his health, I think he could do considerably better.    I really think he was never 100% or close at any point last year, and that affected his offense and perhaps his defense even more so.   I think if he can stay pretty healthy (and I’m not talking about perfection here), it would be reasonable to hope for a .260/.305/.485 type campaign.   I don’t see him matching his .314 ISO from his short 2020 campaign, but he’s got enough power to manage a .225 ISO in my opinion.   

So, I think the most likely scenario is a .750-.760 type season with a good chunk of missed time, but I’m hoping for a relatively healthy, .790ish campaign.   With far improved defense over 2021, when he really seemed slowed by his injuries in the OF.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

??? It's the first sentence!! 

What is wrong with this place man. 

Sorry, but with Santander he's a player with limited value who gets injured a lot. But he's at a point in his career where he is still valued as a trade chip.

He'll likely be a .750 OPS type hitter with an upside to .850 OPS range, but long term I think the Orioles are best served trading Santander while he has value. 

It's so frustrating when people post a good thread that they've clearly spent time on and looked up stats, etc., only to have the first 2 responses rudely ignore the opening sentence of the OP and offer nothing to the conversation. Other message boards have consequences for this kind of thing - I hope one day the OH does too because the level of discourse around here is getting more and more spiteful and unfriendly. 

To actually answer the question, I hope for nothing less than a return to 2020 Santander. I want to see the OBP above .310, and the slugging in the low .500s. I'm not expecting an All-Star player, but he needs to provide value as a power-hitting COF. More than anything, he needs to stay healthy. 

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

Come on man, it's the first sentence of the OP. If you don't have an answer that follows the OP parameters, don't participate. 

I didn’t even read the thread tbh.  I answered the question in the title because it is my hope that he is traded.  

I mean, I hope if we keep him, he has  1000 Ops and wins MVP.  Duh!

But seeing as you are crying so much about it, I’m  Glad I said what I said.  It’s enjoyable watching you flip out over something so stupid.

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's so frustrating when people post a good thread that they've clearly spent time on and looked up stats, etc., only to have the first 2 responses rudely ignore the opening sentence of the OP and offer nothing to the conversation. Other message boards have consequences for this kind of thing - I hope one day the OH does too because the level of discourse around here is getting more and more spiteful and unfriendly. 

To actually answer the question, I hope for nothing less than a return to 2020 Santander. I want to see the OBP above .310, and the slugging in the low .500s. I'm not expecting an All-Star player, but he needs to provide value as a power-hitting COF. More than anything, he needs to stay healthy. 

Funny how you are talking about discourse and being unfriendly when you are the one doing it..downvoting over something that dumb?  Lol

Practice what you preach.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t even read the thread tbh.  I answered the question in the title because it is my hope that he is traded.  

I mean, I hope if we keep him, he has  1000 Ops and wins MVP.  Duh!

But seeing as you are crying so much about it, I’m  Glad I said what I said.  It’s enjoyable watching you flip out over something so stupid.

Honestly, it is a bit annoying when people don’t bother to read the OP and just respond to the thread title.   I almost put “and I don’t mean a trade” in the title just to head that off, but the title was pretty long already, so I put it in the first sentence of the OP instead, figuring people would get at least that far.

And by “hope,” I meant realistically.   I think the Trout-clone ship has sailed for Santander (or, more accurately, was never in a position to leave port).   

But whatever.   I’m not offended.   I knew someone would make the trade comment no matter what I did.  

• Upvote 2

I'm hoping he can get healthy and move better in the outfield.  I feel he should be able to get that OPS in the .775 to .800 range over a full season, assuming health.  He has a similar offensive game to Hays, but I think Santander's plate discipline is a tad better. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Come on man, it's the first sentence of the OP. If you don't have an answer that follows the OP parameters, don't participate. 

Lol, have you been here long?

.750 OPS is my hope for him. 

Honestly, just hit well enough and stay healthy enough to be traded.  Mullins is holding it down in CF, but as far as I'm concerned the other two spots are up for grabs (sorry about Hays, @Frobby, I don't buy it until he's healthy for a full season) and we've got guys in the minors who are on the horizon.  If that means Hays and Santander have to hold it down for this year, so be it.  I don't imagine that Santander has much value but if we can get a couple mid range prospects back, that's fine.  

My hope is he can stay healthy, hit north of an .800 OPS and play good defense in right field. My expectation is that he will be injured for a good portion of the season, hardly get on base, hit a few homers, and play good defense when he’s out there.