Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

I can’t read the above article but it sounds like 1581 homers were hit at OPACY in this time frame. If 1 out of 7 homers stayed in the park over this time period, that would be about 225 homers that wouldn’t occur.

Thats 32 a year.  Not sure how much 2020 skews that though.  I can’t find how many homers were hit at Camden Yards in 2020.  My guess would be the real number, in terms of reduction in homers, would be closer to 45 a year.

So the total number will be somewhere around 15-20% less homers in any given year.  

Still would likely be top 10-11 for HR's overall, so while LF would be hit hard, overall...

That’s nearly 35% of the tracked home runs between the left-field corner and the bullpens, and 13.5% of the total hit at Camden Yards over the past seven seasons. The proportion increases to just above 14% when considering only the total count of home runs for which coordinates and distance were available. Dropping 227 home runs would take Camden Yards from the most homer-prone ballpark of the past seven seasons to fourth.

The Sun took a cautious approach to classifying the home runs, meaning it’s possible a good chunk of the “Questionable” group (and possibly some of those deemed “Likely”) also would no longer be home runs. If even half of the balls the Sun considered questionable would have stayed in play, home runs at Camden Yards would have dropped by about 18%, with a 46% percent reduction in that area of the park. The Orioles’ home park would drop to the 10th-most home runs allowed since 2015, but only 10 ahead of 13th place."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I saw a thread on Twitter that said this will result in about a 12%-15% drop in HRs.  Over the last 6 years it eliminates about 200 HRs, 91 of which were hit by the Orioles.  

0 from Mullins

4 from Mancini

2 from Mountcastle

OPACY goes from a top 5 park for RH hitters to a bottom 5 park.

Good thing Mullins gave up switch hitting!

On 1/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, Sports Guy said:

I can’t read the above article but it sounds like 1581 homers were hit at OPACY in this time frame. If 1 out of 7 homers stayed in the park over this time period, that would be about 225 homers that wouldn’t occur.

Thats 32 a year.  Not sure how much 2020 skews that though.  I can’t find how many homers were hit at Camden Yards in 2020.  My guess would be the real number, in terms of reduction in homers, would be closer to 45 a year.

So the total number will be somewhere around 15-20% less homers in any given year.  

The O’s hit 45 homers in 2020 in 33 games at OPACY.  Opposing teams hit 43.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The tweets i mentioned above come from Andrew Perpetua, a baseball stat junkie whose writing can be found all over the place and who consults for the NYM.

This is his data: https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/andrewp/viz/newcamdensearch2/Dashboard1

Go nuts.

Posted earlier in this thread and a few of us already went nuts quietly. It’s a fun tool. 

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They keep showing the same "progress" photos, just from different angles.  We're two months out from Opening Day, assuming the league and union get their heads out of their....sand.  I wish they'd post updated pictures so we can follow along, like a show on HGTV "Camden Yards Makeover."  

3 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

They keep showing the same "progress" photos, just from different angles.  We're two months out from Opening Day, assuming the league and union get their heads out of their....sand.  I wish they'd post updated pictures so we can follow along, like a show on HGTV "Camden Yards Makeover."  

Live stream it.