What’s your 2022 OPS Projection for Jahmai Jones?

Frobby

What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Jahmai Jones?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Jahmai Jones?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/22 at 22:06

We’re starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel here, but Jahmai Jones is on the 40-man roster for now and can be expected to see some time in the big leagues at some point this year.  He pretty much flunked his Orioles debut, hitting .149/.208/.194 in 72 PA last year.  In the minors, he has a career .258/.338/.393 slash line, including .243/.337/.431 in 295 PA in Norfolk last year.   What’s your OPS forecast for 2022 for Jones?

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think he will be at AAA.  He has a ways to go to be good at that  level.   With Urias, Odor, Matos  in the majors at 2B I don't see Jones get playing time with the O's.   I expect Vavra, Ortiz and Westburg to pass him on the depth chart in 2022.

I’ve been amazed at how many guys get playing opportunities.   I still think it’s a better than 50/50 shot that Jones will be called up at some point due to injuries or poor performance of other players.  I do think he may get passed by some of all of the players you mention sometime this year, but I’m expecting those three to begin the year in AA so it may take some time for that to happen.  Elias has shown that he’d rather bring up filler to the majors than push a prospect that he doesn’t think is ready for that step.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been amazed at how many guys get playing opportunities.   I still think it’s a better than 50/50 shot that Jones will be called up at some point due to injuries or poor performance of other players.  I do think he may get passed by some of all of the players you mention sometime this year, but I’m expecting those three to begin the year in AA so it may take some time for that to happen.  Elias has shown that he’d rather bring up filler to the majors than push a prospect that he doesn’t think is ready for that step.  

I agree but Elias may think Westburg, Ortiz or Vavra are ready by mid season.  I don't think Elias holds his high talented players back now that Adley will be arriving.   The window begins this season.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree but Elias may think Westburg, Ortiz or Vavra are ready by mid season.  I don't think Elias holds his high talented players back now that Adley will be arriving.   The window begins this season.

I don’t think it’s that likely, but let’s see how they play.   

I don’t know what it really means to say the window begins this season.  Are the O’s going to compete for a playoff spot?   I don’t think so, and I don’t think you do, either.   They’ll bring guys up when they’re ready, not because some hypothetical window is open.   

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s that likely, but let’s see how they play.   

I don’t know what it really means to say the window begins this season.  Are the O’s going to compete for a playoff spot?   I don’t think so, and I don’t think you do, either.   They’ll bring guys up when they’re ready, not because some hypothetical window is open.   

For the last three years Elias has not done the things that needs to do to win.   Mountcastle spent a year at AAA.   Adley was slow rounded through AA and AAA last year  despite being better than what the O's had in the majors.  

I think when Adley and Grayson arrive there will be more of an effort to surround them with better players.   A good month for Westburg, Ortiz or Vavra at AA may see them in AAA.  And a couple of good months at AAA may make them ready for the majors if deem better then what is in the majors.

JMO of what the changes I think will happen this year.   Not everything is going to go smooth but when it does promotions will happen.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

+1, Vavra is already on the 40 man (as is Bannon for that matter) and also brings the ability to play 2B/OF (likely better than Jahmai). For OF he is behind McKenna as well as probably DJ. I also think Yusniel probably gets a chance before we see Jones again. I don't think there is anything on Jones' resume to make us believe that his bat will play and make up for his glove. Even if O's are still in audition/evaluation mode there are players higher in the pecking order that I would rather see. If we have to DFA, does anyone claim him? 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

For the last three years Elias has not done the things that needs to do to win.   Mountcastle spent a year at AAA.   Adley was slow rounded through AA and AAA last year  despite being better than what the O's had in the majors.  

I think when Adley and Grayson arrive there will be more of an effort to surround them with better players.   A good month for Westburg, Ortiz or Vavra at AA may see them in AAA.  And a couple of good months at AAA may make them ready for the majors if deem better then what is in the majors.

JMO of what the changes I think will happen this year.   Not everything is going to go smooth but when it does promotions will happen.

Well, I’m not going to argue the point, because I really don’t know what they’ll do, and it’s all hypothetical until we see how players are actually performing.   Also, the rules about arbitration eligibility in the CBA may have some impact on the timing of call-ups.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He's a DFA guy for me when they need room. Minor league depth at AAA for 2B and maybe corner outfield. .685 OPS at AAA.

I thought I was down him, but you are really down on him.   At 24 with  768 OPS in 255 at bats last season at AAA I think he is tradable.   And there are several players ahead on him on the DFA line.   I guess it just depends on how many players Elias adds to the 40 man roster.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I thought I was down him, but you are really down on him.   At 24 with  768 OPS in 255 at bats last season at AAA I think he is tradable.   And there are several players ahead on him on the DFA line.   I guess it just depends on how many players Elias adds to the 40 man roster.

I don't think he has a real position, and doesn't have enough pop and speed to be an asset otherwise. I agree that there are guys ahead of him on the DFA line, but i just didn't see anything from him that got me excited about him last year in the majors or at AAA. Seems like a good kid though, so I'll root for him to show up looking different this spring or summer, whenever he gets to actually play baseball.