Carter Baumler 2022-23

Tony-OH

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Lost in the Rodriguez gloom last night, Baumler threw another 3 shutout innings.   Not quite as effective as the previous outing, 3 H and 2 BB to go with 4 K’s.  

Thanks for pointing this out. Any pitching prospect news is good news. Hopefully Kjerstad debuting soon will help with the GR news as well. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he is, as of right now, easily our third best pitching prospect.

I wonder how long they plan to limit him to three innings.  So far in three outings: 9 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 4 BB, 15 K’s.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I wonder how long they plan to limit him to three innings.  So far in three outings: 9 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 4 BB, 15 K’s.   

Would have to think he starts going 4 or more innings soon.  I would think most of this month he stays below 5 innings.

Really, the focus should be on pitches of course.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure..but I also think if you include Bradish in this discussion, I like the upside of Baumler more.

I'm intrigued by Baumler sure, but no way I'd put a 20yo throwing 3ip at a time in low A over a guy who dominated at every level of the minors through Triple A. The number of pitching prospects who even make the minors is incredibly small, and level of competition matters 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I'm intrigued by Baumler sure, but no way I'd put a 20yo throwing 3ip at a time in low A over a guy who dominated at every level of the minors through Triple A. The number of pitching prospects who even make the minors is incredibly small, and level of competition matters 

Well, it’s not remotely true that he dominated every level.  His MiL ERA is barely below 4 And his BB rate was mediocre.  

Hw has good stuff but inconsistent secondaries pitches and iffy command.  

He has had a reliever profile for a while but he does have starter upside.

It depends on how you want to evaluate it but if i go Tony’s way of doing it, which is how I would do it and do the “who would I rather have” thing, I’m taking the upside of Baumler.