Jordan Lyles 2022

Il BuonO

On 9/22/2022 at 8:18 AM, Frobby said:

Lyles said something interesting after the game.  He was asked if he was enjoying being a mentor on this team.  He replied that he really didn’t see himself as a mentor, just a friend his teammates could go to for advice just like he could go to them.  Then he added something like, “but I’m glad they [the younger pitchers] had a chance to see this.”  I.e., had a chance to see that it is in fact possible to pitch a complete game, and what the elements are to doing it. 

Looks like Bradish and Kremer were paying attention.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2022 at 5:56 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Lyles didn’t have it tonight, but I bet he would’ve gutted through 5 if not for the rain. His stats are the best but he’s tied for the league lead in GS and is up there in IP. I think he did is job and was worth his contract.

Lyles is everything that we hoped Cashner and Gallardo would be.  

Andrew Cashner and that nice 9-3 run he had for us in 2019! We definitely had the chance to sell high at the late-season deadline, but neither outfielder we got from Boston (Elio Prado and Noelberth Romero) seems to have amounted to much, although they are still young. Cashner disappointed the Red Sox greatly and it turned out to be his last season.

Gallardo for Seth Smith was better, but nothing of lasting consequence. I'm so glad we're out of that stage of Oriole history.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

No random rainfall Monday night is going to stop us maximizing his innings.

Looks like he is being tabbed on short rest to be the SP1 Aaron Judge faces resting on 61 HR.

This also opens opportunity for him to pitch Game 162 Wednesday, which it seems like we would do because of course we would.

I wonder which direction Grayson Rodriguez pointed his car or flight now that Tides year is over.    Meoli in his newsletter today said he spoke with Buck Britton the other day as Buck was driving home, so believe all team-related exit steps completed by now.

I really like Jordan Lyles.  His post game interviews are great and you can tell he’s a genuinely good guy.  When he throws like he has tonight you almost think about re-signing him.  I’ve had that brief thought a few times this year, but then you look at the big picture stats and there is just no way we can have him on our roster if we are really trying to win.  The kids  saw what a pro looks like, now they need to see what  a proven winner is like to lead your group. I hope Lyles’s can parlay this season into a nice pay day.  He will def have his spot in orioles lore when thinking about us exciting and gritty 2022 team. 

• Upvote 1

“We take pride in helping the young guy,” pitcher Jordan Lyles said Friday. “We got a lot of young talented guys here, excited, happy, fortunate to be a part of it. But as older guys we might not be here in the future but this organization, the city of Baltimore is definitely in good hands.” Jordan Lyles 

Back in the Top 10, and I feel like he has a good shot to go long Wednesday afternoon.    He and Jose Berrios are tied for the black ink in Hits Allowed.    Is Toronto still feeling good about their Berrios long-term commitment?

Innings Pitched
1. Manoah  TOR 196.2
2. Valdez  HOU 196.1
3. Bieber  CLE 195.0
4. Cole  NYY 194.2
5. Perez  TEX 190.1
6. McKenzie  CLE 186.1
7. Gilbert  SEA 185.2
8. Ray  SEA 183.1
9. Quantrill  CLE 181.1
10. Cease  CHW 179.0
  Lyles  BAL 179.0

2023 trade deadline preview - he will be known to mesh well when come July out of Corey Kluber, Grayson Rodriguez, DL Hall, Kyle Bradish, Tyler Wells, Dean Kremer, Austin Voth and Drew Rom only three of them are fit to throw 80 pitches in any given 5-day span.

• Upvote 1