Jordan Lyles 2022

Il BuonO

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not that obvious to me, depending who the competition is.  He’s very talented but it’s not clear he’s ready.

There have been more talented pitchers in baseball that end up in the BP. You are correct, he's far from a guarantee for a rotation spot next year, or any year.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the problem was in the audience.

I was saying that in baseball, like the real world, things don't just go to who "earned" them.

That is an idea for things like message boards.

Thank you for the translation.

Right now I would say that these starters have a leg up.

Grayson

Voth   3.22 ERA as an O's starter

Kremer 3.69 ERA 

Wells  3.90 ERA

Means in the 2nd half

Hall, Watkins, Bradish  as fill ins.

This will probably change by the end of the season which is when to make the decision on who will be the starters for next season and whether to add FA starter(s).

Edited by wildcard

I like what Voth has done but you hold your breath, at least I do, hoping he can get through 5 innings.   He's perfect as a pitcher you only EXPECT 3 good inings from.   4 maybe.  Anything more than that seems like a hope and a prayer.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I like what Voth has done but you hold your breath, at least I do, hoping he can get through 5 innings.   He's perfect as a pitcher you only EXPECT 3 good inings from.   4 maybe.  Anything more than that seems like a hope and a prayer.

If he ends the season with an ERA below 4.00 and has the off season to build up his endurance, he could very well come to ST with a leg up for a rotation spot.

He may have a better chance at the 2023 OD rotation than Bradish or Hall.   

It all depends on how he end this season and how the other O's starters look in ST.

Edited by wildcard

I have been happy with Lyles’s performance this season and would be fine bringing him back next year.  He takes the ball every time and logs a decent number of innings for today’s game.  With that said, there are a couple of things to consider.  First, other than 2019, this is about as good as he’s ever been and probably will be.  So, this year’s performance is probably the best case scenario for next year.  Second, if Elias didn’t move the wall back we’d probably be ready to run him out of town.  At home he’s pitched to a 2.73 era compared to a 5.85 era on the road.  With that said, we play half out games at home and not everyone is pitching to a 2.73 era at OPACY.

I am interested to see how well he finishes out the year.  Baseball reference currently has him at 0.8 WAR, so he’s on pace for about 1.2 WAR.  And he’s got a lot of history that indicates that he’s about a 1 WAR pitcher when he’s at his best.  That’s fine for a #4/5 starter.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s clear from what Elias says.

I don’t interpret anything Elias has said as indicating or implying that Hall has a leg up on other candidates for next year’s rotation.  He’ll obviously be a candidate, and should be.   But he’ll need to look more like the June - mid-July version of Hall than the guy we’ve seen over the last 4 weeks.  Hopefully he will do that.  But he hasn’t exactly been a model of consistency this year.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t interpret anything Elias has said as indicating or implying that Hall has a leg up on other candidates for next year’s rotation.  He’ll obviously be a candidate, and should be.   But he’ll need to look more like the June - mid-July version of Hall than the guy we’ve seen over the last 4 weeks.  Hopefully he will do that.  But he hasn’t exactly been a model of consistency this year.

Frobby, you are saying the same things.  I get your point.  He will enter ST, unless traded or hurt, as one of the 5 starters even if they don’t come out and say it.

They want him up this year to get time and experience.  They love his arm.  It’s time.  Now, he absolutely can lose his spot but you don’t bring back Lyles at his salary because that could happen.  The Os have plenty of back of rotation options to bridge the gap.

• 3 weeks later...