Jordan Lyles 2022

Il BuonO

Saw this in MLBTR this AM…..Why would they not exercise his 11 million option rather than “buy it out”. I’d exercise the option or offer him 2 years at 9 million each. Lyles would be a good 4th starter when you have the horses up.

Mancini is the only notable impending free agent on the roster, but Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com notes that starter Jordan Lyles could be made available as well. The right-hander signed a one-year, $7MM guarantee over the offseason. That deal contains an $11MM club option for next season, but that seems likelier to be bought out. Through 17 starts, Lyles has tossed 98 innings of 4.50 ERA ball. He’s thrown plenty of strikes but posted below-average strikeout (18.9%) and ground-ball (40.6%) rates. Lyles is a durable source of innings, and Kubatko writes he’s been a strong veteran mentor for the team’s younger starters. Nevertheless, the Orioles aren’t likely to take him off the table if they field offers on short-term veterans.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lyles really proved himself a savvy escape artist tonight.  That game easily could have gotten out of hand, but he didn’t let it, despite suffering quite a few dinks and doinks.   

+1000.  He didn't have his best stuff, just another gutsy performance.  Most young pitchers would have been taken to the cleaners.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Lyles really proved himself a savvy escape artist tonight.  That game easily could have gotten out of hand, but he didn’t let it, despite suffering quite a few dinks and doinks.   

Agreed. And also despite not having his best stuff going.  He pitched like a pro tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday marked the 10th time in 22 starts that Lyles pitched at least 6 innings.   He’s only failed to go 5 innings three times.   No question he’s filled the role Elias intended when he was signed. He’s on pace to throw about 186 innings for the year.   With Wells injured, it’s not clear that anyone else will top 120 innings.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yesterday marked the 10th time in 22 starts that Lyles pitched at least 6 innings.   He’s only failed to go 5 innings three times.   No question he’s filled the role Elias intended when he was signed. He’s on pace to throw about 186 innings for the year.   With Wells injured, it’s not clear that anyone else will top 120 innings.  

And this is why you shouldn’t have dealt him.  You don’t bring him back next year because you should be trying to get better but he’s valuable for them in 2022.  

He's been great. Rubber arm. The only reason he shouldn't come back would be if the O's decide to actually target some top flight SP guys in trades or free agency. At present moment I'm not feeling great about them actually doing that, so if that's the case, another year of Lyles would be just fine. We're going to need the innings and the depth. 

The dude is still here, and pushing his way back towards the top.    The media votes team MVP, right?    With Adley here just 70% of games and everyone else flat, I think it could be him.

Still pulling for it to be him, plus he doesn't make wildcard round roster.    Does have to do the 2014 Bumgarner things in round 2 though.     Let's get Perez out of this game soon today!

Innings Pitched
1. Valdez  HOU 128.2
2. Gilbert  SEA 128.1
3. Manoah  TOR 126.0
4. Cole  NYY 125.1
5. Perez  TEX 125.0
6. Lyles  BAL 124.2

On 6/29/2022 at 11:03 AM, luismatos4prez said:

I think we can all agree that Lyles has surpassed our expectations and was a solid enough signing by Mike. He's 24th in baseball in IP and his value lies somewhere between B-Ref's -0.4 WAR and Fangraphs' 1.3 WAR.

He has an 11M option for next year with a 1M buyout. Would you bring him back for 10M? I can't imagine we'll get much more than an Andrew Cashner return (2 lottery tickets) for him if we trade him. 

If you had to decide today, what would you choose?

A) Trade him by the deadline

B) Let him finish the year but don't pick up his option

C) Pay him 10M to be a vet innings eater next year

Option A has been eliminated.

If you had to choose today, would you pay Lyles 10M for next year or let him walk?

5 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Option A has been eliminated.

If you had to choose today, would you pay Lyles 10M for next year or let him walk?

He walks.  The wall moving back has helped him a lot imo.  The down run environment has helped him.

The first part of that stays true in 2023.  Does the second part?