2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm struggling where to put Kjerstad on the power rankings until we see him a little bit. I probably will be cautious after he missed so much time.

I would guess.  If he looks rusty, probably between 10-15.  If he looks good from the start, probably in the Westburg/Stowers area.

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm struggling where to put Kjerstad on the power rankings until we see him a little bit. I probably will be cautious after he missed so much time.

I almost just left him off mine but I’m ranking him solely on talent and upside.

Its funny though…I don’t feel as good about the depth today as I did 5 months ago.  Maybe guys like Basallo and Hernandez will really get going and I will feel better about it but as if right no, I think you can see the lack of depth and the injuries are really hurting that as well.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I almost just left him off mine but I’m ranking him solely on talent and upside.

Its funny though…I don’t feel as good about the depth today as I did 5 months ago.  Maybe guys like Basallo and Hernandez will really get going and I will feel better about it but as if right no, I think you can see the lack of depth and the injuries are really hurting that as well.

Looking at my power rankings that I have done since adding the new GCL/DSL/Kjerstad... It's pretty decent through about 15-17.. then it get shaky.

I don't think the system is that deep with impact talent either.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I would guess.  If he looks rusty, probably between 10-15.  If he looks good from the start, probably in the Westburg/Stowers area.

I don’t see any justification for putting him in a group with Westburg and Stowers who have excelled at each level. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I don’t see any justification for putting him in a group with Westburg and Stowers who have excelled at each level. 

If the Orioles pick Andruw Jones, he'll be right up there with those guys and he has less of a track record than Kjerstad.    If Kjerstad looks good at Delmarva, he'll be up there based on his draft pedigree and potential.   He's supposed to be, offensively, Stowers with more hitability.

Having said that, I have no problem if anyone ranks him behind those guys for now.   Don't forget, Mayo is ranked ahead of those guys.

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If the Orioles pick Andruw Jones, he'll be right up there with those guys and he has less of a track record than Kjerstad.    If Kjerstad looks good at Delmarva, he'll be up there based on his draft pedigree and potential.   He's supposed to be, offensively, Stowers with more hitability.

Having said that, I have no problem if anyone ranks him behind those guys for now.   Don't forget, Mayo is ranked ahead of those guys.

I know some people have Mayo very high, but not me. I like to see them do it over multiple levels, and he’s struggled at Aberdeen compared to his performance at Delmarva. I guess my Top 10 would be:

Grayson

Henderson

Hall

Westburg

Stowers

Mayo

Cowser

Norby

Rhodes

Prieto

After #6, it’s up for grabs who can jump up to 7. A lot of guys who weren’t playing in the organization this time last year have a chance to jostle for positioning. 

5 hours ago, waroriole said:

I know some people have Mayo very high, but not me. I like to see them do it over multiple levels, and he’s struggled at Aberdeen compared to his performance at Delmarva. 

Let’s not forget that he’s one of the youngest players in the league.  He’s had two at bats all year against pitchers older than him.  He’s doing fine.  Not quite to the level of last year, but still very good when you consider his age.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s not forget that he’s one of the youngest players in the league.  He’s had two at bats all year against pitchers older than him.  He’s doing fine.  Not quite to the level of last year, but still very good when you consider his age.  

Yeah he’s doing fine. I have him ahead of our first round pick from last year. The OBP is low and the Ks are up, which is why he’s behind Stowers and Westburg for me. 

8 hours ago, waroriole said:

Yeah he’s doing fine. I have him ahead of our first round pick from last year. The OBP is low and the Ks are up, which is why he’s behind Stowers and Westburg for me. 

He’s got more variance in his possible outcomes than they do, for sure.   His OPS from April 29 to now is only .654.   Slump, or are the pitchers exploiting something?    We’ll have to wait and see.  

On 6/12/2022 at 7:45 AM, Frobby said:

He’s got more variance in his possible outcomes than they do, for sure.   His OPS from April 29 to now is only .654.   Slump, or are the pitchers exploiting something?    We’ll have to wait and see.  

After watching Henderson two years ago, to last year, to now, I'm choosing to wear orange colored glasses and assume that Mayo (and Cowser) are going through a similar growth cycle where they're working on specific things and basically eschewing standard results while focusing on specific things.

That means Mayo should be a top 10 in baseball prospect at this point next year. :)

On 4/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

Notes: Think of these rankings like an unofficial prospect rankings that will be adjusted throughout the year. To be eligible for the rankings, a player must still be considered a rookie by MLB standards and assigned to a minor league team. Players placed on injured lists are eligible once they have played in 2022. Rankings will be updated every Monday. Rankings will be expanded to 50 when FCL and DSL seasons open up.

Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (as of June 6th)  

RK Name POS PR Up/down Team INJ
1 Adley Rutschman C 1   BAL  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   Nor (AAA) IL
3 Gunnar Henderson SS/3B 3   Nor (AAA)  
4 D.L. Hall LHP 4   Nor (AAA)  
5 Kyle Stowers RF 5   BAL  
6 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 7 Up Nor (AAA)  
7 Coby Mayo 3B 6 Down ABN (A+)  
8 Cesar Prieto 2B 8   BOW (AA)  
9 Colton Cowser OF 9   ABN (A+)  
10 Heston Kjerstad OF New   DEL (A)  
11 Kyle Bradish RHP 10 Down BAL  
12 Connor Norby 2B 11 Down ABN (A+)  
13 Carter Baumler RHP 13   DEL (A)  
14 John Rhodes OF 12 Down ABN (A+) IL
15 Carlos Tavera RHP 14 Down ABN (A+)  
16 Samuel Basallo C UR New FCL  
17 Braylin Tavera OF UR New DSL  
18 Noah Denoyer RHP 15 Down Bow (AA)  
19 Drew Rom LHP 16 Down Bow (AA)  
20 Nick Vespi LHP 17 Down Nor (AAA) Rehab
21 Terrin Vavra 2B/CF 18 Down ABN (A+)  
22 Hudson Haskin OF 19 Down Bow (AA)  
23 Ignacio Feliz RHP 20 Down ABN (A+)  
24 Maikol Hernandez SS  UR New FCL  
25 Darnell Hernaiz INF 21 Down ABN (A+)  
26 Jean Pinto RHP 22 Down ABN (A+)  
27 Juan De Los Santos RHP 23 Down DEL (A)  
28 Justin Armbruester RHP 25 Down ABN (A+)  
29 Logan Gillaspie RHP 26 Down BAL  
30 Joey Ortiz  SS 27 Down Bow (AA)  

Bubble Players          
  Zach Peek RHP     Bow (AA)  
  Isaac Bellony OF     Del (A-)  
  Anthony Servideo INF        
  Leandro Arias INF   New DSL  
  Mike Baumann RHP 24 Down Nor (AAA)  
  Frederick Bencosme INF     Del (A)  
  Collin Burns SS 29 Down ABN (A+)  
  Ryan Watson RHP 30 Down Bow (AA)  
  Maverick Handley C 28 Down Bow (AA)  

Updated as of 6/13 with the new DSL/FCL players. Kjerstad makes the top ten as well.

• Upvote 1