2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Joey Ortiz has probably got to move up in the rankings pretty soon. Lousy first three months in Bowie but batting .400+/.430+/.675+ in July.

Hopefully he is solid over the final 8 weeks of the season and ends up back in the teens in the rankings by the end of the season.

I would go a little further than that.   I think if he finishes above .280 and gets the OPS over .800 that he's top 10.   To go from where he was .200 AVG, low .600 OPS, to over .280/.800 would mean a really strong 2nd half.    He's also the best defensive SS in system according to EVERYONE.   He's already over .250 and .700 and climbing.   

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would go a little further than that.   I think if he finishes above .280 and gets the OPS over .800 that he's top 10.   To go from where he was .200 AVG, low .600 OPS, to over .280/.800 would mean a really strong 2nd half.    He's also the best defensive SS in system according to EVERYONE.   He's already over .250 and .700 and climbing.   

If nobody else graduates, I think the top 9 is pretty set with the current 8, plus Holliday.

The Orioles system seems like it has pretty well defined tiers to me. Gunnar and Grayson in the top tier, followed by Hall, Cowser, and Holliday (conditionally), in the second tier, followed by Westburg, Mayo, Stowers and Kjerstad in the third tier and everyone else in the fourth tier. Within the tiers, I wouldn't argue with ranking them in any order, but that is how it looks to me.

I guess I could see Ortiz as high as 10 and hopefully making a jump to the next tier in 2023 like Westburg did this year.

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Joey Ortiz has probably got to move up in the rankings pretty soon. Lousy first three months in Bowie but batting .400+/.430+/.675+ in July.

Hopefully he is solid over the final 8 weeks of the season and ends up back in the teens in the rankings by the end of the season.

Yeah, he's going to keep moving back to his preseason spot. Perhaps his slow start was because he wasn't able to have a full offseason of working out and came into the season weak. Seems like he's straightened that out. Hopefully he can keep it up and it's not some Haskin beginning of the season mirage hot streak.

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The higher an OPS goes, the harder it is to move the needle.  His OPS is .716 two-thirds of the way through the season, so he’ll need to posi an OPS of about .968 the rest of the season to get over .800 for the year.   Pretty tall order.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The higher an OPS goes, the harder it is to move the needle.  His OPS is .716 two-thirds of the way through the season, so he’ll need to posi an OPS of about .968 the rest of the season to get over .800 for the year.   Pretty tall order.  

That would be very impressive.  He was at 1.117 for July heading into yesterday's game. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

That would be very impressive.  He was at 1.117 for July heading into yesterday's game. 

If he can OPS over .900 for August, I'd say we've got the real deal.  .968 or better?   We'd have rethink Ortiz along the lines of Westburg as a prospect. 

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If he can OPS over .900 for August, I'd say we've got the real deal.  .968 or better?   We'd have rethink Ortiz along the lines of Westburg as a prospect. 

I’d be thrilled with .900 for August.  Honestly, if he was an .800+ guy the rest of the season I’d be pretty happy about it.  

On 4/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

Notes: Think of these rankings like an unofficial prospect rankings that will be adjusted throughout the year. To be eligible for the rankings, a player must still be considered a rookie by MLB standards and assigned to a minor league team. Players placed on injured lists are eligible once they have played in 2022. Rankings will be updated every Monday. Rankings will be expanded to 50 when FCL and DSL seasons open up.

Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (as of Aug 1st)  

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Gunnar Henderson SS/3B 1   Nor (AAA)  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   Nor (AAA) IL
3 D.L. Hall LHP 3   Nor (AAA)  
4 Colton Cowser OF 4   BOW (AA)  
5 Coby Mayo 3B 6 Up FCL Rehab
6 Kyle Stowers RF 7 Up Nor (AAA)  
7 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 5 Down Nor (AAA)  
8 Heston Kjerstad OF 8   ABN (A+)  
9 Connor Norby 2B 10 Up BOW (AA)  
10 Darnell Hernaiz INF 11 Up ABN (A+)  
11 Terrin Vavra 2B/CF 12 Up Nor (AAA)  
12 Carter Baumler RHP 13 Up DEL (A) IL
13 Samuel Basallo C 14 Up FCL  
14 Joey Ortiz SS 30 Up Bow (AA)  
15 Cesar Prieto 2B 9 Down BOW (AA)  
16 John Rhodes OF 16   ABN (A+)  
17 Drew Rom LHP 18 Up Bow (AA)  
18 Noah Denoyer RHP 15 Down Bow (AA) IL
19 Frederick Bencosme INF 19   Del (A)  
20 Aron Estrada INF 20   DSL  
21 Hudson Haskin OF 24 Up Bow (AA)  
22 Carlos Tavera RHP 17 Down ABN (A+)  
23 Jean Pinto RHP 21 Down ABN (A+)  
24 Ignacio Feliz RHP 22 Down ABN (A+)  
25 Braylin Tavera OF 23 Down DSL  
26 Mike Baumann RHP 27 Up Nor (AAA)  
27 Ryan Watson RHP UR Up Bow (AA)  
28 Nick Vespi LHP 28   Nor (AAA)  
29 Justin Armbruester RHP 25 Down BOW (AA)  
30 Juan De Los Santos RHP 26 Down DEL (A)  

Bubble Players          

Leandro Arias INF     DSL  
  Collin Burns SS     ABN (A+)  
  Maverick Handley C     Bow (AA)  
  Luis De Leon LHP     DSL  
  Maikol Hernandez SS      FCL  
  Chris Vallimont RHP     Nor (AAA)  
  Anderson De Los Santos INF     FCL  
  Adam Hall UTL     FCL Rehab
  Shayne Fontana OF     Bow (AA)  

Big jump for Ortiz who looks finally healthy. He and Cowser look like the best guys on the field at Bowie. 

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

Thanks, Tony! What are your thoughts on Norby at Bowie?

He's been doing ok overall, but obviously the average and OBP have been a disappointment, but he's getting to his power a bit. Defensively he's been better, but I have to watch him more on that end. 

His HR% (5.5%) over the last 30 days is second in the org behind Colton Cowser (6.5%). He's really never had a significant hot streak but he smack three homers over the last 7 days. 

1 Gunnar

2 Grayson

3 Holliday

4 DL Hall

5 Cowser

6 Kjerstad

7 Mayo

8 Westburg

9 Stowers

10 Vavra

11 Basallo

12 Wagner

13 Norby

14 Hernaiz

15 Bencosme

16 Beavers

17 Ortiz

18 Rhodes

19 Baumler

20 Denoyer

Just for fun wanted to do my completely non-expert, completely not to be taken seriously top 20 with the draft picks included. What I take from doing it is I rate Vavra more than anyone (sucker for a OBP-driven high OPS, and not convinced he won't be okay at 2B which in the end is a premium position), and most of all that the depth is really something else at this point. I feel you can make a pretty strong case for any of 10-20, maybe minus Denoyer, for sneaking into the top 10 after Stowers. 

• Upvote 1

@Flash- bd Nice!  I'm an OBP fan too.  Job #1 batting is to not get out.  Yeah, there are other things at play, but it boils down to that as they get to higher levels.

Hall has slipped a bit in my book.  The ceiling is still there, but the concern about him being a bullpen arm is growing.  Which means, for me, Cowser's ahead of Hall.  I would also slot Holliday between Cowser and Hall at this point too.

And I'd flip Vavra and Westburg because the OBP was so good in AAA.  The difference in SLG is less dramatic giving Vavra the higher OPS.  

I think the harder line is after #10.  But agree that 11-19 bunch is pretty strong.  Wagner/Beavers/Fabian are TBD for me (probably start them behind Rhodes though until we see more).  Regardless, they really extend the pipeline past 20!  @Tony-OHmay need to legitimately extend the power rankings to 50!  :D

Baumler slotting in at #19 is pretty strong.  He'll have some competition with Johnson a year from now (hopefully Johnson gets some IP by year-end 2023).  

• Upvote 1