2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You need to do 40 now. This system is deeper than it's ever been in my lifetime. Still under rated, IMO.

Eh, it is deep and there's no issue with doing 40-50 now that we have the new draft picks in and some stats and info on the DSL/FCL guys. But people can't get too wrapped up in the numbering after 30. They are all really "players to watch" vs Top 30.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I decided to do 40 afterall. You convinced me. lol Now hopefully @RZNJ doesn't start arguing with me over why one guy is 35 and the other 36. lol 

As you can probably guess, I check your power rankings as soon as you update.   I didn’t want to nitpick this time.  Really, it’s hard to even nitpick. I would just say that I feel Joey Ortiz could be a top 10 player on merit IF you believe in his current 5 week hot stretch.  The fact that he’s probably the best defensive MI in the system is a bonus.

I’m curious, pleased, and a little surprised to see Hernaiz gradually rise from about 26 all the way to 10.   I’d like to read your thoughts on him.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

As you can probably guess, I check your power rankings as soon as you update.   I didn’t want to nitpick this time.  Really, it’s hard to even nitpick. I would just say that I feel Joey Ortiz could be a top 10 player on merit IF you believe in his current 5 week hot stretch.  The fact that he’s probably the best defensive MI in the system is a bonus.

I’m curious, pleased, and a little surprised to see Hernaiz gradually rise from about 26 all the way to 10.   I’d like to read your thoughts on him.

I'm just kidding with you of course. I enjoy the conversation and even defending my thoughts. Plus, you are good at pointing out when some one is on a heater and I might have missed it.

As for Hernaiz, you have to like what he's done this year offensively. He just turned 21 so would have been drafted this year out of college had he gone. If we had a new draft pick and he was able to put up a .828 OPS in Aberdeen right away, I'd be impressed. He's outperformed Norby at the same level at a year younger. 

Now the question is, where does he play? The arm is not strong enough for SS on an everyday basis and he has throwing and hands issues at times from 3B and 2B. I'd keep running him out in the dirt for another year, but if he it doesn't improve, then they have to think about moving him to left field and hope that power really develops. 

I don't know if he will end up a Top 10 guys when is said and done for the Top 30 prospects at the end of the year, but he's going to most likely stay in the top 20. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

But it’s not merit if you only judge him on 5 weeks. All these guys have had a hot 5 weeks. 

32 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But it’s not merit if you only judge him on 5 weeks. All these guys have had a hot 5 weeks. 

First, it's the last 5 weeks and it still isn't over.  Secondly, he was coming off major shoulder surgery.  Thirdly, at AA or AAA I can only think of a few who maintained an OPS over 1 for that long. Henderson, Westburg, and Cowser.  Norby and Hernaiz haven't.  

Name one player besides Ortiz who batted over .400 and OPSd over .1100 for an entire month.  Kjerstad at Delmarva?

Add to that, he hasn't let up in the first week of August.

Edited by RZNJ

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, the rule for the power rankings is the player must have played this year in the minors to be eligible for the list, so new draft picks are only available once they play in a game.

Holliday with be #3 for me once he plays.

Guess you'll have to update this again after tonight!  LOL.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

First, it's the last 5 weeks and it still isn't over.  Secondly, he was coming off major shoulder surgery.  Thirdly, at AA or AAA I can only think of a few who maintained an OPS over 1 for that long. Henderson, Westburg, and Cowser.  Norby and Hernaiz haven't.  

Name one player besides Ortiz who batted over .400 and OPSd over .1100 for an entire month.  Kjerstad at Delmarva?

Add to that, he hasn't let up in the first week of August.

Mr. Ortiz, I’m also a fan of Joey. I think his defensive capabilities, plus the hot bat, are reason to be very optimistic about him. I’m just saying, based on merit, it’s not enough to vault him much higher. If he finishes the year like this, or ends up with an .800 OPS at AA, then I’d be more inclined to agree with a Top 10 ranking. 

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It seems like we need another full season A ball affiliate. Something around/between the Aberdeen and Delmarva level. Various reasons of majority NCAA drafts, DSL pipeline just in it’s infancy with this regime, etc….

Do teams have more than four full season affiliates?  

MLB contracted the minor leagues to a total of 120 teams (or 4 per MLB team).  Last season, the Orioles had 2 FCL teams but only one this season.

https://www.silive.com/sports/2021/02/mlb-realigns-its-minor-leagues-following-contraction-to-120-teams.html

17 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Not sure if/when he'll deserve his own thread, but this is interesting.

It really doesn't tell us much because Ardoin is making good swing decisions against younger pitching he should do well against. Always rather see the college guys do good vs bad in their initial taste, but FCL stats for college guys really mean nothing. 

I imagine though he'll be heading to Salem (Where Delmarva plays next week) along with several other college guys after today's game.

Yeah, I agree. I do think he has a shot to hit enough to be a Handley+ type of prospect at some point. But that will take a while.

And I’m a real fan of Handley. He’s way down everyone’s prospect list, but I think he’ll be a better than average backup to Rutschman for years, and I think that’s really valuable for the Os and specifically for Rutschman (rest, less stress to always be behind the dish).

On 4/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

Notes: Think of these rankings like an unofficial prospect rankings that will be adjusted throughout the year. To be eligible for the rankings, a player must still be considered a rookie by MLB standards and assigned to a minor league team. Players placed on injured lists are eligible once they have played in 2022. Rankings will be updated every Monday. Rankings will be expanded to 40 when FCL and DSL seasons open up.

Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (as of Aug 14th)  Next updated won't be for two weeks!

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Gunnar Henderson SS/3B 1   Nor (AAA)  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   Nor (AAA) IL
3 Jackson Holliday SS UR New FCL  
4 D.L. Hall LHP 3 Down Nor (AAA)  
5 Colton Cowser OF 4 Down BOW (AA)  
6 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 5 Down BOW (AA)  
7 Kyle Stowers RF 6 Down Nor (AAA)  
8 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 7 Down Nor (AAA)  
9 Connor Norby 2B 8 Down BOW (AA)  
10 Heston Kjerstad OF 9 Down ABN (A+)  
11 Terrin Vavra 2B/CF 11   Nor (AAA)  
12 Darnell Hernaiz INF 10 Down ABN (A+)  
13 Samuel Basallo C 12 Down FCL  
14 Joey Ortiz SS 13 Down Bow (AA)  
15 Cade Povich LHP 14 Down ABN (A+)  
16 Seth Johnson RHP 15 Down ABN (A+) IL
17 Carter Baumler RHP 16 Down DEL (A) IL
18 Dylan Beavers OF 18   FCL  
19 Max Wagner 3B UR New FCL  
20 Cesar Prieto 2B 17 Down BOW (AA)  
21 Chayse McDermott RHP 21   ABN (A+)  
22 Frederick Bencosme INF 23 Down Del (A)  
23 John Rhodes OF 19 Down ABN (A+)  
24 Noah Denoyer RHP 22 Down Bow (AA) IL
25 Aron Estrada INF 24 Down DSL  
26 Hudson Haskin OF 25 Down Bow (AA)  
27 Braylin Tavera OF 26 Down DSL  
28 Jud Fabian OF UR New FCL  
29 Drew Rom LHP 20 Down Bow (AA)  
30 Mike Baumann RHP 27 Down Nor (AAA)  
31 Justin Armbruester RHP 32 Up BOW (AA)  
32 Carlos Tavera RHP 28 Down ABN (A+) IL
33 Nick Vespi LHP 29 Down Nor (AAA)  
34 Juan De Los Santos RHP 33 Down DEL (A)  
35 Collin Burns SS 37 Up ABN (A+)  
36 Maverick Handley C 38 Up Bow (AA)  
37 Silas Ardoin C 39 Up FCL  
38 Juan Rojas LHP 40 Up FCL  
39 Raylin Ramos OF UR New DSL  
40 Jean Pinto RHP 30 Down ABN (A+)  

Bubble Players          
  Luis De Leon LHP     DSL  
  Maikol Hernandez SS      FCL  
  Anderson De Los Santos INF     FCL  
  Adam Hall UTL     FCL Rehab
  Shayne Fontana OF     Bow (AA)  
  Ryan Watson RHP     Bow (AA)  
  Reed Trimble OF     DEL (A)  
  Yennier Cano RHP     Nor (AAA)  
  Ignacio Feliz RHP     ABN (A+)  
  Edwin Amparo SS      DSL  
  Leandro Arias INF     DSL  

New draft picks make debut so they make their debut on the power rankings! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to 2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)