2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

55 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I'm surprised Povich dropped a spot after 2 impressive starts.

He didn't really 'drop'.  Jackson Holliday was slotted in ahead of him.  The only guy that had a notable 'drop' was Rom.  The rest is basically short-term noise as new draftees get slotted in.  Or a reshuffle within a tier (like Armbruester). 

But agree that Povich will be interesting to watch!  Glad to have a few more legit arms in the system!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

This list has elite talent at the top, like we've been accustomed to, but it also seems to be very deep. Beavers certainly has question marks, but most places gave him a late 1st/2nd round grade, and he barely cracked the top 20

The Orioles have done pretty well identifying talent but also gave Willems $1 million. I want guys to prove they are guys a bit unless they come with amazing pedigrees. Beavers could very well climb the power rankings by year's end by putting up numbers at Delmarva the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles have done pretty well identifying talent but also gave Willems $1 million. I want guys to prove they are guys a bit unless they come with amazing pedigrees. Beavers could very well climb the power rankings by year's end by putting up numbers at Delmarva the rest of the year.

Tbf unlike Willems, Beavers was fairly universally regarded as roughly a second rounder at worst 

2 hours ago, seak05 said:

Tbf unlike Willems, Beavers was fairly universally regarded as roughly a second rounder at worst 

Tbf, the same scouts are evaluating players. Beaver can prove it as a pro and I'll move him up. I like him and think he's got a bright future, but he hit just .291 against Big-12 pitching. That's not awful and again, I'm not dogging him out, I just think there are guys ahead of him with some success in the minors already.

It's just a starter power rankings, not a final ranking.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tony, I saw this with all respect.   I hope Creed Willems make you eat your words!   

So do I. I'm certainly not rooting against him, but he's just not the profile I would give a million to and I think Elias/Ciolek got caught with their pants down a little bit last year. I think guys they really wanted got taken and they ended up panicking and drafted Willems knowing he had a ridiculous price tag.

I could be wrong and maybe Willems was a guy they targetted all along because of high EVs and good arm, but when I watch him he mostly doesn't look like belongs. 

Now, saying that, who knows? He'll repeat Delmarva next year and have to share the load with Basallo and maybe he dedicates himself this offseason, gets in great shape, and things click. 

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So do I. I'm certainly not rooting against him, but he's just not the profile I would give a million to and I think Elias/Ciolek got caught with their pants down a little bit last year. I think guys they really wanted got taken and they ended up panicking and drafted Willems knowing he had a ridiculous price tag.

I could be wrong and maybe Willems was a guy they targetted all along because of high EVs and good arm, but when I watch him he mostly doesn't look like belongs. 

Now, saying that, who knows? He'll repeat Delmarva next year and have to share the load with Basallo and maybe he dedicates himself this offseason, gets in great shape, and things click. 

This is the part that confuses me.    Did they not have Willems, a HS kid from Texas, in for a pre-draft workout at OPACY?   This would certainly lead me to think they knew exactly what his price tag was and that he was on their radar well before the draft.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This is the part that confuses me.    Did they not have Willems, a HS kid from Texas, in for a pre-draft workout at OPACY?   This would certainly lead me to think they knew exactly what his price tag was and that he was on their radar well before the draft.

I'm sure they had him in and many others. I don't think he was plan A, B, C, or D when it came to using their underslot money. I could be wrong and have said so. Either way, this is not the threat continue this discussion.

We have two different approaches when it comes to evaluating young Orioles draft picks and players. You have the approach that all of these guys will be good while I take a pro scouting approach of "show me the tools, then prove it on the field."

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm sure they had him in and many others. I don't think he was plan A, B, C, or D when it came to using their underslot money. I could be wrong and have said so. Either way, this is not the threat continue this discussion.

We have two different approaches when it comes to evaluating young Orioles draft picks and players. You have the approach that all of these guys will be good while I take a pro scouting approach of "show me the tools, then prove it on the field."

Not true.  I take the approach that I hope they will be good but they have to show it on the field as well.   Just not to declare the $1 million spent on Willems as a mistake at this point.   You keep referring to it as a mistake if not exactly using that word.    

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not true.  I take the approach that I hope they will be good but they have to show it on the field as well.   Just not to declare the $1 million spent on Willems as a mistake at this point.   You keep referring to it as a mistake if not exactly using that word.    

How long did you hold onto Josh Hart being a prospect because he was a 1st rounder? ;)

It's ok, I know where you stand and that's cool. I don't have the luxury to look at things from a fan perspective when it comes to minor league players. People expect me to give them a fair, balanced evaluation based on my scouting experiences and analysis. 

But, we're on the same side in that we hope he turns it around and becomes a guy one day. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

How long did you hold onto Josh Hart being a prospect because he was a 1st rounder? ;)

It's ok, I know where you stand and that's cool. I don't have the luxury to look at things from a fan perspective when it comes to minor league players. People expect me to give them a fair, balanced evaluation based on my scouting experiences and analysis. 

But, we're on the same side in that we hope he turns it around and becomes a guy one day. 

Fair enough.  From a scouting perspective, besides Willems needing to get in better shape, what do you see?  Bat speed?  Pitch recognition?  Etc.

Edited by RZNJ

18 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Fair enough.  From a scouting perspective, besides Willems needing to get in better shape, what do you see?  Bat speed?  Pitch recognition?  Etc.

He doesn't have good pitch recognition for sure.  Offspeed pitched are issues for him right now