Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

I don't see much roster movement on the offensive side until May 1 at a minimum, more likely mid-May.  We are just looking at too small of a sample size with these guys.  At that point though, I just hope we have a quick hook with Owings, Odor, and Gutierrez if they still aren't hitting. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

I would think Vavra is the first IF up, with Westburg to Norfolk. Also Gunnar has had a solid start to the season as a 20yo in double-A

Jones and Bannon could get looks too.

Bannon has more positional flexibility in the INF being able to also play third base.  Vavra is definitely the most promising of the three though. 

Let’s not forget that in 67 at bats in AA in Sept last year that he hit 299 and his OPS was just shy of 1000.  His OPS is over 100 in 33 at bats this year.

So, that’s 100 at bats with an OPs over 1000 and a BA of around 285-290.  100 at bats isn’t a lot but if he keeps this up, there isn’t much reason for him to have an at bat in AA beyond April 30.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s not forget that in 67 at bats in AA in Sept last year that he hit 299 and his OPS was just shy of 1000.  His OPS is over 100 in 33 at bats this year.

So, that’s 100 at bats with an OPs over 1000 and a BA of around 285-290.  100 at bats isn’t a lot but if he keeps this up, there isn’t much reason for him to have an at bat in AA beyond April 30.

My gut is they will leave him in AA a bit longer than April 30, but perhaps not too much longer.   Hopefully he continues to hit well and makes it tough for them to keep him in AA.  Stowers had 276 PA in AA before he got promoted.   Westburg is at 130.   Obviously there’s no magic formula but they seem to like to get more at bats at a level than Westburg has now in AA.   My best guess is end of May.

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My gut is they will leave him in AA a bit longer than April 30, but perhaps not too much longer.   Hopefully he continues to hit well and makes it tough for them to keep him in AA.  Stowers had 276 PA in AA before he got promoted.   Westburg is at 130.   Obviously there’s no magic formula but they seem to like to get more at bats at a level than Westburg has now in AA.   My best guess is end of May.

Considering they continue to ridiculously slow play prospects for very little reason, I agree with this.

On 4/18/2022 at 4:10 PM, Frobby said:

Westburg has 145 AA at bats so far.  Another 55 before he is promoted is my guess.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Another 70 at bats.

Is that a prediction by you, or an estimate of how many more at bats he’ll have by the end of May?  Because I’d guess he’ll have another 130-140 PA by the end of May.   70 at bats is probably May 10 or so.  

Edit — I see you revised your post.  I don’t think he’ll get moved quite that quickly, but if he’s still OPSing over 1.000 by then, you could be right. 

35 minutes ago, waroriole said:

May 10 seems like a good time to promote him. Since it’s Elias, it’ll probably be May 31 at the earliest. 

I could be wrong about this but I recall we had a bunch of promotions starting around mid-May of last year.  Possibly in 2019 as well. 

I can see Westburg to Norfolk, Norby or Prieto to Bowie, and Hernaiz to Aberdeen in corresponding moves if all of these guys are playing well.  That will clear out some of the glut of middle infielders in Aberdeen and Bowie. 

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Westburg might be the best infielder in the O's organization.  Of course that might be him w/ faint praise.

Westbrook's positional flexibility is going to help his cause alot when the time comes to promote him. He'll get regular at bats no doubt about it. Vavra has questions about power and the fact that he only plays 2B and the OF that make me skeptical he's anything more than a bench guy.