Anthony Santander 2022

OsFanSinceThe80s

I'm concerned a bit about the left handed nature of our outfield and DH combos once Santander's switch hitting bat is gone.  Mullins, Stowers, Cowser, and Kjerstad are all left-handed.  Hays is the only righty and he hasn't hit since May.  I wouldn't consider an extension for Santander and would gladly trade him for a good return.  But, I'm not opposed to paying him arbitration money for another season.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This year looks a lot like 2020 to me.  And we had 2021 with a 93 OPS+ and a 286 OBP in between 2020 and 2022.  I think it is very possible that 2023 looks more like 2021.

He's 28 the odds of him improving on offense from here on out aren't great.

However odds are good his defense is going to continue to decline. 

He played 37 games in 2020. He has played 128 games this year. I’m not sure that I would assign more weight to a 37 game sample. If you think 2021 is more a true indicator of his talent, I can understand that but disagree for the reasons mentioned above.

Edited by Sydnor

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

His OBP is up this year (K% is down). Has double his walks total from last year and still going, including a huge one last night. Seems to be growing as a hitter, unlike Mountcastle. 

Not sure why you are deciding to slam Mountcastle but whatever, I guess you haven't hit your quote of Mountcastle shots for the day.

I'll go ahead and repeat myself.

Santander's 2022 looks a lot like his 2020.  His 2023 might very well look like his 2021.

He regressed last year, why should we believe he won't regress again?

How come he couldn't build off his success in 2020?

2 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

He played 37 games in 2020. He has played 128 games this year. I’m not sure that I would assign more weight to a 37 game sample. If you think 2021 is more a true indicator of his talent, I can understand that but disagree for the reasons mentioned above.

I think his career numbers are more indicative. 

I'm also concerned about his decrease in foot speed and defensive value.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure why you are deciding to slam Mountcastle but whatever, I guess you haven't hit your quote of Mountcastle shots for the day.

I'll go ahead and repeat myself.

Santander's 2022 looks a lot like his 2020.  His 2023 might very well look like his 2021.

Anything is possible.  But the every other year theory doesn't seem to be built on much data or logic.  Santander has been our most reliable and consistent hitter this year.  That's what I know.  He was actually better in 2020 from an OPS standpoint and we know he had a bum ankle for much of last year.  It's not unreasonable to expect a good season from Santander next year but anything is possible. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Anything is possible.  But the every other year theory doesn't seem to be built on much data or logic.  Santander has been our most reliable and consistent hitter this year.  That's what I know.  He was actually better in 2020 from an OPS standpoint and we know he had a bum ankle for much of last year.  It's not unreasonable to expect a good season from Santander next year but anything is possible. 

It's not a theory.  I'm just saying he's shown growth before only to regress.

We aren't looking at a clear data set of progression.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don’t think he was healthy last year.  He’s been fortunate in that regard this year, and from reports, has adopted a health and exercise program that may have helped him to stay healthy.  

Ballplayers aren’t metronomes.   I don’t expect Santander’s next two seasons to be exactly like this one.  Hopefully they will at least resemble it.

He regressed last year. Hardly a pattern but sure it's possible.  There's just no logical reason to expect it or predict it.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know we've been over this before, and maybe the Club shouldn't have played him and/or the Player should have been more open about the state of his ankle, but I believe he played hurt after missing the month early in 2021 following the bad looking ankle jam on the first base bag.

https://www.mlb.com/video/anthony-santander-injures-ankle     (hey, Jesus Aguilar was the 1B on the play)

Batting Santander a lot in 2021 was like throwing Jorge Lopez third time through the order a lot.

https://www.mlb.com/news/anthony-santander-shut-down-with-injury-for-2021

Hyde here sounds like Buck singing Adam Jones "posting up" hosannas, which I hope future good Orioles teams will be savvier about not doing.

“He’d been playing banged up for a while now,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “It was a strange year for him. He was never fully healthy, and tried to do the best he could with some limitations. He felt good some days, didn’t feel good others. I give him a lot of credit for hanging in there and trying to help the team. When he’s right, he’s a difference maker in the middle of the order.”

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I know we've been over this before, and maybe the Club shouldn't have played him and/or the Player should have been more open about the state of his ankle, but I believe he played hurt after missing the month early in 2021 following the bad looking ankle jam on the first base bag.

https://www.mlb.com/video/anthony-santander-injures-ankle     (hey, Jesus Aguilar was the 1B on the play)

Batting Santander a lot in 2021 was like throwing Jorge Lopez third time through the order a lot.

https://www.mlb.com/news/anthony-santander-shut-down-with-injury-for-2021

Hyde here sounds like Buck singing Adam Jones "posting up" hosannas, which I hope future good Orioles teams will be savvier about not doing.

“He’d been playing banged up for a while now,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “It was a strange year for him. He was never fully healthy, and tried to do the best he could with some limitations. He felt good some days, didn’t feel good others. I give him a lot of credit for hanging in there and trying to help the team. When he’s right, he’s a difference maker in the middle of the order.”

I'm sure this off-season we will hear how banged up Hays was.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the same could be said for further progression.

I think the data set is large enough for career averages to be useful.

I think any argument that we should expect further improvement from Santander would be a weak one.  Could it happen?  Sure.

To me the same could be said for further progression.

I think the data set is large enough for career averages to be useful.

I agree.  I don't expect an .880 OPS next year but it's possible.  Seems reasonable to me to expect something similar to this year IF he can remain injury free.