The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

99% of the time, there’s plenty of room to accommodate everyone who wants to attend without selling those seats, and they don’t need to pay ushers and vendors to cover those sections or clean them after the game.   I’m a little surprised they don’t have the flexibility to open those sections on the rare nights when they are at or near capacity.  

With staffing shortages finding and training that many temporary staff might be difficult for one night a month. I’m not sure how many Ezra people they actually have on staff right now, to shift people towards those sections. If the crowd size starts regularly being larger, I wonder if they start trying to open more more regularly 

11 hours ago, paullwaull said:

This may have been touched on earlier in this thread, but what's the reason for blocking off those 3 sections?  I presume the cost to staff them vs the lack of ticket sales?  It sure was an eyesore this evening.

Doesn't look as bad as the closed upper deck at the Trop or the huge parts of the Oakland Coliseum that are covered with a tarp.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:02 AM, Moshagge3 said:

The Toronto games will be an interesting test. A Monday-Wednesday series with an opponent that doesn't bring a big wave of visiting fans. Last year the Blue Jays only played one weeknight series here and the games drew 7,388 and 7,457. So, we'll see.

Well, they did a little better than that, but still less than 12k average for the two games. Looking back at August 2012, they averaged about the same for a mid-week series against the White Sox, but attendance did improve in September. 

• 3 weeks later...

Updating through 60 games (we’ve actually had 61 now), attendance was at 1,043,055, just barely below the 2019 figure of 1,045,273.   With the Orioles in a playoff race, I’m guessing they’ll be able to beat the 2019 final figure of 1,307,807 pretty handily.  The O’s only exceeded 20,000 fans once in the final 21 home games of 2019.  If that happens this year, I have to ask what’s wrong with this picture?

Remaining home games:

OAK 3 (weekend)

TOR 4 (weekday; includes a doubleheader)

BOS 3 (weekend) 

DET 3 (weekday)

HOU 4 (weekend)

TOR 3 (weekday)

I’ll venture a guess that attendance finishes north of 1.4 mm.   Of course, the longer the team stays in the race, the better attendance should be.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, xmichaelx said:

Only 13,558 for tonight's game. That is sad.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Saw that in the box score and though maybe it was a typo. That crowd looked much bigger.  

12 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

Curious how much it being a travel day for the last holiday weekend in summer factors into that.

I’m sure many already had plans but that is a disappointment. Tomorrow should be better. Sunday/Monday should be good. 

Like I said in a thread yesterday they need to offer some deals next Tuesday/Wednesday.  

This thread always confused me for this reason, if you live in the area and don’t go to games why complain? If you do go to the games then have fun. If you don’t live in the area then you can’t go to games.  Also people can’t go to 81 games a year it’s just not possible money wise. 

Just now, Pushmonkey said:

This thread always confused me for this reason, if you live in the area and don’t go to games why complain? If you do go to the games then have fun. If you don’t live in the area then you can’t go to games.  Also people can’t go to 81 games a year it’s just not possible money wise. 

I don't think this is a thread about shaming people that do or don't go to games. I think it's just interesting to track attendance in general—especially since this team was expected to be very poor and is, instead, in a pennant race. 

2 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

It’s a Friday night and the club is fun to watch. 13K is not good. That’s a bad crowd. Once again nobody expected this but I figured low 20’s tonight. I’m pretty sure many on this board go to games.