Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I love the NFL and legit injuries happen but cutting away for 2 minutes of commercials only to come back to see the injured player getting hauled onto the cart only for them to cut away for 3 more minutes of commercials is annoying.  

I know what you mean.  I hate it when someone inconveniences me for five minutes by tearing a ligament or breaking a bone.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I know what you mean.  I hate it when someone inconveniences me for five minutes by tearing a ligament or breaking a bone.  

Don't you?  

C'mon Frob, you know what I mean.  The NFL jumps at every opportunity to cut to commercial.  How about a rephrase, counselor?  "I hate it when the NFL looks to drive revenue when someone tears a ligament or breaks a bone."

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Don't you?  

C'mon Frob, you know what I mean.  The NFL jumps at every opportunity to cut to commercial.  How about a rephrase, counselor?  "I hate it when the NFL looks to drive revenue when someone tears a ligament or breaks a bone."

The worst thing is being at the game during any kind of delay, especially replay reviews.   So boring!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Don't you?  

The options here seem kind of sparse.  Are you going to stare at the trainers while trying to lip read and do your best doctor impression?  Are you going to let the announcers keep talking as if the injury never happened in an eerily quiet stadium?  Or are you going to watch a rocket mortgage commercial for the 99th time?  They all seem like bad options.

13 minutes ago, Hallas said:

The options here seem kind of sparse.  Are you going to stare at the trainers while trying to lip read and do your best doctor impression?  Are you going to let the announcers keep talking as if the injury never happened in an eerily quiet stadium?  Or are you going to watch a rocket mortgage commercial for the 99th time?  They all seem like bad options.

Just keep showing the replay of the injury over and over.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Yeah, actually.  I'd prefer staring at the trainers and have the color commentator, I dunno, tell me a story from his playing days?  Have the sideline reporter fill me in on something they heard while doing their job?  

I'd rather stub my toe on the coffee table instead of seeing the Rocket Mortgage commercial, yes.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, actually.  I'd prefer staring at the trainers and have the color commentator, I dunno, tell me a story from his playing days?  Have the sideline reporter fill me in on something they heard while doing their job?  

I'd rather stub my toe on the coffee table instead of seeing the Rocket Mortgage commercial, yes.

No, if I hear that irritating woman say ‘Make It Rain’ one more time, I will go ballistic!!! Though in one regard it is nice to see a fairly ugly person being used as a spokesperson for a company. Let’s hear it for us ugly people (reminds me of that CYE episode in the restaurant)!!

Edited by Chelsea_Phil

37 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Ya, it's only 15 games but Gunnar is now batting  .333 / .379 / .574 / .953. Over a full season, with his defense and speed, that would get him more than a few MVP votes. If he continues at this pace for his next 50 games I'd think a long term extension would have to be on Elias' to do list. 

I would try a long term extension this winter with Gunnar and Adley. 

This is going to be a very easy team to root for as these guys come up.

There doesn’t seem to be anyone with a giant head or some kind of cocky dbag or anything like that.

Their approaches to the game, the way they carry themselves, etc…just seems to be top notch.

And they are all very close. Going to be a fun team for years.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Hallas said:

I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they start playing commercials on the JumboTron* during each pause in play.  Kind of like when you're getting gas at the Wawa and you're bombarded by ads and you take a screwdriver out of the car and obliterate the display on the pump by stabbing it over and over and it's still playing and your ears are bleeding and you grab a lighter and turn the nozzle into a flame thrower and you have a go at the whole station like you're one of the Ex-Presidents in Point Break.  I'm sure that's a common thing.

* Has anyone called it a JumboTron since the 1990s?

Edited by DrungoHazewood

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This is going to be a very easy team to root for as these guys come up.

There doesn’t seem to be anyone with a giant head or some kind of cocky dbag or anything like that.

Their approaches to the game, the way they carry themselves, etc…just seems to be top notch.

And they are all very close. Going to be a fun team for years.

This is why I can’t get too upset at Elias for some of his decisions this year that arguably hurt our playoff chances.  In the big picture, he’s set the team up for years of sustained success, and a very likable team, as you said.  Now, he needs to figure out how to get the team to the next level, but it’s clearly doable from here with the foundation he’s assembled.  

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I've grown to appreciate it over the years.  I'm not about to adopt a team, start waking up at odd hours to watch my team and buy jerseys.  I've got a baseball team, a football team and have casual interest in basketball.  There's just not enough time.  I will watch the World Cup but that's about it.  If friends are watching or it's on at a bar, I'll watch.  A few weeks ago, I went to a soccer game at NC State since my cousin played there and he was in town.  Good times.

A giant plus in soccer's corner:  It's nice to be able to sit down and watch a game without interruptions.  Two 45 minute halves with a break for halftime.  No TV timeouts, no commercial breaks between innings (I don't need to see another MASN commercial or FanDuel commercial, ever), no cutting away from the action.  The action never stops for TV.  I have been at NFL games where NOTHING IS HAPPENING AND ITS BECAUSE THEY'RE ON A TV BREAK AND ITS TERRIBLE.  With soccer, it's just 45 minutes of gameplay that doesn't stop.  

They did stop the game for maybe 15 minutes that time Christian Erikson had a cardiac arrest and died on the field and the trainers had to resuscitate him.  But the clock kept going and they just added that on to the end of the half.

And on the topic of faking injuries... it's all about incentives.  If the pitcher got ejected every time he hit a batter you can guarantee that there would be protracted delays reviewing whether or not someone was nicked by a pitch, and batters adamantly claiming they'd been hit when they probably hadn't.  Because of cards and fouls that result in PKs in soccer there are strong incentives to make sure the ref knows you were fouled.  Also, have you ever been kicked in the leg or stepped on with a cleat by a good adult athlete? It's not all fake.  I've had foot-sized bruises on my legs for weeks.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

I know a lot of Americans who enjoy watching European soccer.  Just like Europeans and others like watching the NBA.  MLS?  Not so much.  

How many people from other countries are really into US college sports?  MLS is a 2nd- or 3rd-tier soccer league.  Someone from Germany watching MLS would be like me and the 10s of others like me who get up at 7am to watch the German 3rd division.  There are probably 127 people in Asia who're aware the Norfolk Tides and Bowie Baysox exist.