Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

BP had a feature today on the 2022 Rays getting thrown out on the bases like crazy.

I think I think deep in the search for The Extra 2% teams know speed plays a little bit more in real life relative to xwOBA (e.g., Brett Phillips not Kyle Stowers today).   Certainly the Yankees of the last few years also seem to be an example of tilting too far to slow mashers, and enjoying a little better results with some Kiner-Falefa types in the mix.

The 2014 Royals are a bad memory, but the 2022 Orioles share some of their strengths.    All the SP have to do is like 4-5 innings and a couple few runs, and the on paper deficit in the SP matchup literally everyday is mostly over by the 90-minute mark. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

As long as the infield is drawn in, going home is definitely the right play. They got exactly the ball they wanted there just as the defense was designed to do. Problem was, the O's had the wrong guy on third and he flat out beat it. 

My point is that up 4 in the 9th is not the time to play the infield in.  Coaching error there.  Yes, as a SS, if the coach pulls you in, he's telling you to go home if it is hit to you.  It's not on the SS, but as I said, defensive lapse in judgment.  Play for the easy out.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

My point is that up 4 in the 9th is not the time to play the infield in.  Coaching error there.  Yes, as a SS, if the coach pulls you in, he's telling you to go home if it is hit to you.  It's not on the SS, but as I said, defensive lapse in judgment.  Play for the easy out.

We're talking about different plays. I was talking about the play last night.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The Sunday race home was on a medium wild pitch...Rays infield was back then.

Last night Jays had infield in in early innings of a close game trying to cut off the run with Tyler Nevin up at bat.

Just now, Just Regular said:

The Sunday race home was on a medium wild pitch...Rays infield was back then.

Last night Jays had infield in in early innings of a close game trying to cut off the run with Tyler Nevin up at bat.

OH, OK.  Thank you.  I was just responding to the scenario posted.  

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wow!   You're a tough critic.  Tell me what Bichette could have done better on this play.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/orioles-vs-blue-jays/2022/08/15/661707#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=661707

I'm going by this angle.

The transfer is a bit slow and of course the actual fielding isn't picture perfect (I'll allow that it would be very difficult to field it cleanly given the situation).

I don't think that anything even close to an actual score-able error occurred.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going by this angle.

The transfer is a bit slow and of course the actual fielding isn't picture perfect (I'll allow that it would be very difficult to field it cleanly given the situation).

I don't think that anything even close to an actual score-able error occurred.

He caught the ball slightly off balance because of where/how it was hit. I don't think it was possible to field it much better than he did, and he probably gets 99% of MLB base runners there. 

Yeah, a very tough play.  Sure, if he doesn't lose his balance he probably gets him but it was a very difficult play.   He actually did field and cleanly and make an almost perfect throw.   In making a very good play, he lost his balance and that caused the throw to be a little late.   I would say Bichette did about all he could.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, a very tough play.  Sure, if he doesn't lose his balance he probably gets him but it was a very difficult play.   He actually did field and cleanly and make an almost perfect throw.   In making a very good play, he lost his balance and that caused the throw to be a little late.   I would say Bichette did about all he could.

Yes he almost fell over when off balance by having to field it. He was fortunate to get the throw off.