So, who starts Friday?

terpoh

I know the O's wont "rush up a prospect for a MLB need" but with Watkins going to the DL, and with Friday being Rodriguez normal day in the rotation, hoping that his debut is an option there. I don't put a ton of stock into the belief that debuts have to be in Baltimore, but it does seem like the Orioles like to do that. Has anyone heard what the plan is for SP on Friday?

• Upvote 1

Bradish goes on Friday because of the Thursday off-day. But the doubleheader on Saturday is a question. Grayson would be on turn to go that day so I'd love to see him promoted, but I'm skeptical. He's ready, but would the Orioles bring him up for a first start on the road in Boston? Lyles would then start the other game of the doubleheader. 

• Upvote 2

I think you let Grayson go game 1 of the DH. He gets the benefit of the extra days rest. It’ll be a day game. That helps. 

Let’s say somehow he’s not ready and gets knocked out early. You can always send him down for 3-5 starts and bring him right back. The thing with him is building pitch count. The stuff is the best in the minors. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think you let Grayson go game 1 of the DH. He gets the benefit of the extra days rest. It’ll be a day game. That helps. 

Let’s say somehow he’s not ready and gets knocked out early. You can always send him down for 3-5 starts and bring him right back. The thing with him is building pitch count. The stuff is the best in the minors. 

Only issue is that they would necessitate a 40 man roster move.

Well that and if they want to build his pitch count they have to stop pulling him at 80 pitches...

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only issue is that they would necessitate a 40 man roster move.

Well that and if they want to build his pitch count they have to stop pulling him at 80 pitches...

Our 40 man isn’t that strong. We could DFA Owings easily. GR eventually has to get added. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I know Grayson is the popular name here but I can't see Elias letting him debut on the road.  I wouldn't mind seeing Baumann get a start with Akins lined up to go behind him.

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to have another potential bullpen game during a DH, especially after just having one. Grayson is the move. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to have another potential bullpen game during a DH, especially after just having one. Grayson is the move. 

Just to be clear I agree it should be the move.  I just can't see Elias doing it, he will want to have another Saturday night at Camden Yards like he did for Adley so he can show off his new prospect.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Was there really that big of a bump for AR?

I don't know that the bump in attendance was that significant but it was certainly a dog a pony show.  His family on the pregame show, standing ovation as he came out, Elias hugging his Mom after he gets his first hit.  The team hasn't had a whole lot to get excited about since Elias took over.  Bringing these top prospects up is going to be maximized to bring some excitement back to the team.  That being said, if the team thinks Grayson is ready then he should start, but I don't think they will do it.  Just my opinion.