Keegan Akin is giving me an Arthur Rhodes vibe!

JimGinSP

Short memories.  Akin, especially the year he and Kremer came up would have innings like last night, sometimes 2 or 3 consecutively, where he would dominate, spot his fastball, show a plus change with command.  He couldn't do it consistently for a whole game let alone from start to start.  It's always been there but now he can let it all hang out for 2-3 innings.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've probably been the biggest Akin critic and I'm happy to be eating crow.  He's been fantastic this year.

What was that phrase you used to use to describe him in the game threads?   I remember it had the word apple in it but I'm drawing a blank.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah when you see Akin dominate like he has it's tempting to think about putting him in the starting rotation. But he's having success for the first time in his career and it's best to not mess with it. 

The Orioles bullpen has been a mess the past few years and it's turning a corner this season. Putting Akin back into the starting rotation has the potential to hurt the bullpen and the starting rotation so just let him be. 

I’ve said this a few times, but I feel Akin’s success this year is not just because he’s changed roles.  His big problem used to be nibbling and taking too many pitches to get though an inning.  It was difficult for him to get through 5 IP in less than 95-100 pitches.   But this year, he’s attacking hitters from the get go.  Someone posted a link showing that Akin ranks fourth in slider locstion+.   His strike percentage is at 71% compared to 65.5% last year.  He’s averaging 3.78 P/PA this year compared to 4.14 last year; 14.3 P/IP compared to 18.6.    So for all those reasons, I think he might do just fine if he returned to a a starting role.   

But at the same time, the role he’s in now is extremely valuable.   It’s not like we’re using him as a LOOGY, or even as a short reliever.   He’s on pace to give us 100+ innings.   He’s making life a lot easier on the rest of the bullpen by going 2-3 innings at a clip.  Even if he did pretty well as a starter, I’m not sure he’d have more value than he’s had already this year.  So, I wouldn’t mess with it.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

What was that phrase you used to use to describe him in the game threads?   I remember it had the word apple in it but I'm drawing a blank.

Pudgy Faced Applejohn.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b409b0e0-079d-4f91-960d-03bf48dfa148

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Man, it was almost like someone was saying since he was in Bowie that his stuff might play up in shorter stints and he could end up a great Arthur Rhodes-like reliever.

Drungo?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Man, it was almost like someone was saying since he was in Bowie that his stuff might play up in shorter stints and he could end up a great Arthur Rhodes-like reliever.

You must have planted the vibe in my subconscious!   

Going into the season, I thought Baumann was going to fill the Arthur Rhodes role.  Just as happy if Akin can fill it.  Rhodes’ role was so important in the mid-90’s.  He filled the 5th-7th innings so well.  Then it was Orosco and Randal K to close it out.  We’re starting to build clear roles in the pen.  This has been probably the biggest area of excitement for me this season.

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

I have no clue what Corn called him, but I dubbed him Kookenhaken. Say Keegan Akin fast to the tune of the song. It's very similar. 

So why can’t we go back to Akin as a SP again?  If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. It’s not going to ruin his career. It’s like how in football people think you can’t go back to the backup QB after he’s failed, but you can. I say throw an opener out there and let Akin come in and pitch innings 2-5. Let’s see what we have.