Keegan Akin is giving me an Arthur Rhodes vibe!

JimGinSP

I know, SSS, but Keegan Akin has really found success in this multi inning stopper role.  Reminds me of the success fellow lefty Arthur Rhodes had after the O’s converted him from frustrating starter to reliever.  Rhodes really was an important piece for Davey’s clubs although the change was made by Mgr. Phil Regan & PC Mike Flanagan mid season 1995.   Rhodes BB/9 and HR/9 really turned downward in 1996 just like Akin’s has this year.  

• Upvote 3

He's been nothing short of incredible. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, and he keeps pitching like he's having an out-of-body experience on the mound. Auto-pilot. It's amazing to watch.

This was a guy I actively trashed on the board, and I'm having a lot of fun eating crow for however long it lasts. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, oriole said:

I wonder if he could be back in the rotation at some point? 

I wouldn't mess with him, especially with Rodriquez on the way soon.

Frankly once that occurs the rotation might be...decent?  Lyles, Bradish, Rodriguez, Wells, Zimmermann...who would you move for Akin right now?  I'd leave him right where he is.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good analogy.   I have to say, Akin has been nothing short of amazing in this role.  12 outings, each at least two innings, and he’s only yielded runs in two of them.  He’s been extremely valuable.

I was going to throw in a third lefty from the past but when I checked out Pete Richert in BBRef I saw he was actually quite a good starter for the Senators prior to his trade to the O’s.   I was just a lad living in NJ at that time rooting for a team which will remain unnamed but remembered Richert.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

He was filthy last night. The Yankees had no clue what to do with him. He was playing a different game than everyone else. 

Yeah.  I think someone else mentioned that was a weird inning.  3 3-pitch strikeouts...and then a 4-pitch walk and a 5-pitch walk.  But yeah, they were clueless.

He was hitting 95 almost regularly and I think he got it up to 96.  Has he ever thrown that hard?  Last night they made a comment of him hiding the ball a la Fernando Valenzuela.   I have to imagine that short arm action is incredibly hard to pick up and if he pumping 95-96 that’s a challenge for hitters to handle.  

I was very close to writing Akin off completely. I thought he did just enough at the end of last year to still have some potential. Even his second half wasn't that great. Would be curious to hear if there are any theories on what he has improved. His velocity is maybe a tick higher. Big number that jumps out is HR/9 going down from 1.6 to 0.3. BB/9 down and K/9 slightly up. Just looks like he has better command overall and that's making all the difference. 

2 hours ago, oriole said:

I wonder if he could be back in the rotation at some point? 

Hasn't he spoken about enjoying the role in the pen? I don't move him back to the rotation unless he wants that and if that's the case, I let him try and earn a spot in spring. But having a guy like him in the pen allows you to do an opener if you need a fill-in starter some games as he can give you bulk. 

I'd love to see him keep it up and be that multi-innings guy in the pen that allows you to spot start an opener here and there if injuries/double-headers dictate. 

22 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Keep Akin where he's at.  He's been dominant.  It's likely he's found his niche.  He'll likely go back to being mediocre to bad if he's converted back to a starter.

Yeah when you see Akin dominate like he has it's tempting to think about putting him in the starting rotation. But he's having success for the first time in his career and it's best to not mess with it. 

The Orioles bullpen has been a mess the past few years and it's turning a corner this season. Putting Akin back into the starting rotation has the potential to hurt the bullpen and the starting rotation so just let him be.